What rye did you purchase today Spring/Summer 2015?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a SAOS 7yr rye today. $44 is a bit above my normal spending threshold but I've been passing this one up for a few months now.

Picked up a Darby's Reserve Small Batch Rye Whiskey 750 for $23. I have heard mostly negative thoughts on this bottle, but I have also heard that it has a very earthy taste and mouth feel. I decided to try it. It is a very young Rye, less than two years, from what I've read. If I don't like it, I can always do a vatting blend. I've read somewhere that a 50/50 with Dickel turns out to be a pretty good pour.

Any thoughts on this guys?

Picked up a bottle of SAOS 8 year BP. It was a little more expensive than I thought it would be ($64.99 v. $59.99) but I didn't feel like complaining over $5. I am drinking an open bottle of another SAOS 8 year BP right now and I like it well enough to pay $65 to have a bottle in the bunker. The bottle I have open was $45 in KY.

I picked up one of these as well, but I did feel like complaining over $5, so they knocked $5 off. :grin:

Just bought my first (and the store's last) bottle of Rendezvous Rye.

Was shopping in my local Von's this morning and I walked over to the liquor section, not really looking to buy anything but They had a sale and my favorite Rye, at this time, was included. I could not pass them up. Three are batch 14I03-A and one is from batch 14F11. Price was $27ea + tax, a great deal as far as I can tell!

post-12429-14489822414293_thumb.jpg

Was shopping in my local Von's this morning and I walked over to the liquor section, not really looking to buy anything but They had a sale and my favorite Rye, at this time, was included. I could not pass them up. Three are batch 14I03-A and one is from batch 14F11. Price was $27ea + tax, a great deal as far as I can tell!

Wow - that is a really good deal! I loved my only bottle of it, and plan to buy another when space is available in the cabinet.

Because I am incredibly weak from the end stage whiskey nervosa that has destroyed my already limited will power I managed to come home with the Whistle Piggy Old World Sauternes and Port finished ryes to go along with the Madeira finish I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

Too costly but 12yo MGP is always tempting if picked with some competency and I do like to do comparisons of different barrel finishes!

Because I am incredibly weak from the end stage whiskey nervosa that has destroyed my already limited will power I managed to come home with the Whistle Piggy Old World Sauternes and Port finished ryes to go along with the Madeira finish I picked up a couple of weeks ago.

Too costly but 12yo MGP is always tempting if picked with some competency and I do like to do comparisons of different barrel finishes!

That one is MGP and not Alberta? I've not been following closely enough it's clear.

That one is MGP and not Alberta? I've not been following closely enough it's clear.

As previously noted these are indeed MGP. Just a little taste last night to help kick off a week at the beach.

Initial impressions give the port a slight edge but the finishing seems to be at best a light touch. I would guess none of these were finished for more than a few months. But it will require a more intensive examination!

post-8493-14489822417382_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489822417137_thumb.jpg

Found Ritt on sale at one of the locals and snagged a couple for the bunker.

Picked up a bottle of CEHT rye. I haven't tried it before, but have been meaning to for a while. I saw a bottle of SAOS BP on the shelf and resisted the urge to get that as well, since I already have two set aside.

I'm a big fan of LDI/MGP rye, but not a big fan of the pricing of the current Willett's of 7yrs or older. Thank goodness for Smooth Ambler, and an 8yr old priced at $44.99

Not a Rye, but I did break down and bought a bottle 750 of St George Absinthe Verde, at $60. I had a hard time deciding on which one to start with. The St George seemed to have more consistent high rating in the searching I did.

Picked up another BP SAOS 8yr single barrel rye today. Love this stuff. :yum:

Found quite a few 750s of Wild Turkey 101 rye, old label, for the very fair price of 21 bucks. Left 2 on the shelf for the next person - if anyone in Houston is interested, pm me.

Had a friend in NYC pick me up one of the SAOS Rye 8-year BPs. I can't seem to find them in NJ.

the saos standard 7 yr rye and a smooth ambler barrel proof 8 yr

Exactly the same, but I also threw in a store pick (not rye) Ridgemont 1792. Word that SAOS rye is going bye-bye was all that it took to trigger my WN.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!