What rye did you purchase today Spring/Summer 2015?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My brother picked up a SAOS Single Barrel 8 Year Rye for me in Lexington and I bought a Michter's Barrel Strength Rye (54%) today.

Was wondering through SC and came across a very nice new store. I didn't really need anything, but anyone with that level of dedication to their store should be supported. Bought a baby Saz.

Amongst several bourbons I picked up today and because my will power is incredibly weak I bought the new Michter's "Limited Edition" NAS barrel proof rye. Rings in at about 109 pf. No clue how old it is or where the heck it comes from (except it does claim it is Kentucky Straight Rye on the label) and it cost way more than what is reasonable.

No idea why I keep buy NDP stuff but such is the power of WN I suppose. Don't know if it is any good until you try it I suppose... :rolleyes:

Picked up a couple of SAOS 8 yr cask strength Rye before they all disappear.

Bought my first SAOS 7 year for 41.99. Probably too high a price.

$44 here in MI = I have never tried any SAOS expressions

$44 here in MI = I have never tried any SAOS expressions

Don't waste your money, they are terrible, just terrible. :toast:

Picked up the last SAOS 7 Year rye from the shelf for $37. With recent reports, who knows if it will be restocked.

The last few months I have been experimenting with Dickel, Bulleit & Rittenhouse. I really like them all for different reasons. So, I decided to try two old style Ryes. Old Overholt which, as I understand, was Al Capone's drink of choice and Jim Beam's per-prohibition style rye. I have not open either yet, but I will start with the Old Overholt today.

The last few months I have been experimenting with Dickel, Bulleit & Rittenhouse. I really like them all for different reasons. So, I decided to try two old style Ryes. Old Overholt which, as I understand, was Al Capone's drink of choice and Jim Beam's per-prohibition style rye. I have not open either yet, but I will start with the Old Overholt today.

if that was indeed the case then Al certainly wouldn't recognize the OO of today! It has been sliced down to a 3yo from the days when it was a good bit more mature and to me it just tastes too young. Doesn't seem to handle its loss of maturity as well as some others can.

Edited by tanstaafl2

if that was indeed the case then Al certainly wouldn't recognize the OO of today! It has been sliced down to a 3yo from the days when it was a good bit more mature and to me it just tastes too young. Doesn't seem to handle its loss of maturity as well as some others can.

Everything Bruce said. It is easily my least favorite widely available rye.

I now agree with you and Bruce. Had two pours yesterday. I find it very thin, no body at all and kind of hot, for only 80 proof. The flavors are very muted! I'll be trying the Jim Beam later today.

Thought that might be your take on it Johnny but I didn't want to say anything yet. Best to approach these new tastings with an open mind unclouded by negative opinions. As an overpriced mixer the current OO is ok but otherwise unremarkable.

Nothing special but something that I really enjoy for a great price! My son picked up 2 bottles of KC Rye for me at $16.98 each. I can usually find it in KY for the upper $20s but in the Indy area it typically runs in the mid to upper $30s.

Nothing special but something that I really enjoy for a great price! My son picked up 2 bottles of KC Rye for me at $16.98 each. I can usually find it in KY for the upper $20s but in the Indy area it typically runs in the mid to upper $30s.

That's quite a deal!

Michter's Barrel Strength Rye 54.5%. I let curiosity get the better of me. The world needs more barrel proof ryes. Will reserve judgment until the bottle opens up, but initial impression is just OK. Was hoping to find greater concentration of flavor and rye spice but it appears more mellow with some heat.

Whistle pig 10 store barrel at cask strength. It is a monster at 123 proof and it is delicious. As a nerd bonus, I was very happy to see them get right with the labeling.

Finally got around to picking up my first bottle of Knob Creek Rye. Couldn't resist the $21 sale price and expectations are running high. Really looking forward to cracking this bottle open once I thin out a few more things in the cabinet.

Finally got around to picking up my first bottle of Knob Creek Rye. Couldn't resist the $21 sale price and expectations are running high. Really looking forward to cracking this bottle open once I thin out a few more things in the cabinet.

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! I really like it but at the normal Indy price of $35 to $40 it is a difficult buy. However, in the low to mid-$20s, I prefer it over perennial favorites, Baby Saz and Ritt BIB.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!