What rye did you purchase today Spring/Summer 2015?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! I really like it but at the normal Indy price of $35 to $40 it is a difficult buy. However, in the low to mid-$20s, I prefer it over perennial favorites, Baby Saz and Ritt BIB.

Saving my pennies to overpay for the re-introduced Pikesville Rye when it comes out.

Hidden

I realize it's Canadian, but it will get lost over in the "wee dram" thread: I'm finally able to see why so many like the Lot 40 2012 release. It's tasted completely off to me for the year and half I've had the bottle. Only half a bottle left and it's finally tasting sweet and juicy with good rye spice. I don't know what took so long for my taste buds. I will follow with some Turkey 101 Rye.

Royal Oaked Rye . . . I see what they did there ;)

Looking forward to hearing what ya think - never heard of it!

HZjr2zW.png

It is better than their bourbon. Both are drinkable. I had actually considered buying them before and changed my mind then I read a review by Josh on his blog of the Rye and he mentioned liking it and the bourbon so I decided to give em a gamble since I like to try the local stuff and support them if I can, plus I really wanted at least one of their bottles.

Here are my comments on it from last night in the what rye are you drinking thread:

Sipping some Royal Oaked Rye by a local micro distiller Motor City Gas. I think the bar maid said it has 30% corn in the mash and it's pretty tasty considering how young it is and the fact they do the small barrel thing. I think I like it more than their bourbon I had to start with.

In anticipation of emptying the one I am currently working on, I added a private selection KC to the bunker.

2x HW Bourye at $41.90 each before new MI prices come out :)

May I ask where you found Bourye for that price?

May I ask where you found Bourye for that price?

that is current state minimum, but I won't pay that much for any NDP/MGP stuff regardless of reviews.

Was picking up several OGD 114's on sale (got four, left one) and used the savings to buy one KC Rye which was ALSO on sale.

OGD 114's on sale! Wow, I would think just seeing that would seem like Christmas in July.

OGD 114's on sale! Wow, I would think just seeing that would seem like Christmas in July.

Last night I picked up a bottle of Dickel Rye. I hadn't been drinking much rye for a while, but last week I got a jug of Fleischmann's while on a trip to Wisconsin, and that prompted an evening of side-by-siding different ryes, and I realized that I didn't currently have an example of MGP 95% rye on the shelf. From some comments in the "What rye are you drinking?" thread, it sounded like the Dickel was a good intersection of price and quality for that whiskey. There are so many ryes out there using MGP juice, it's tough to differentiate and keep abreast of them.

Grabbed another SAOS 8 year Single barrel, along with a replacement bottle of Carpano Antica.

Was given a free bottle of El Mayor Blanco Tequila while I was there.

Grabbed another SAOS 8 year Single barrel, along with a replacement bottle of Carpano Antica.

Was given a free bottle of El Mayor Blanco Tequila while I was there.

Off topic but I rather like El Mayor and its odd shaped bottle. Decent tequila for a fairly decent price.

I bought both Bulliet Rye, and Russel's Reserve Rye on a whim. Bulliet Rye, while not bad, is not exciting me very much. It does make an excellent Manhattan that I had earlier this year at a restaurant, that I have not yet mastered yet. RR Rye has been very enjoyable.

Taking a chance I picked up a CR Rye and an Alberta Dark Rye. First time I've seen them on the shelf.

While visiting the new High West Distillery I had a chance to pick up a bottle of the limited rerelease of the High West 16yo Rye. The original was all Barton 80% rye mashbill rye while this one uses some of that same rye before it is gone forever that is supplemented with 16 and 17yo LDI rye if I remember correctly. Got to try a sample with David Perkins and found it to be delicious and was able to bring one home where I will be able to try it side by side with the original.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21308&stc=1

post-8493-14489822631462_thumb.jpg

Is that 16-year a gift shop only release? I'd love to try it.

I'm pretty sure it is.

Is that 16-year a gift shop only release? I'd love to try it.

It will likely be at the distillery and the Saloon in Park City. Not sure if it will go outside those locations or anywhere outside of Utah but not sure.

While visiting the new High West Distillery I had a chance to pick up a bottle of the limited rerelease of the High West 16yo Rye. The original was all Barton 80% rye mashbill rye while this one uses some of that same rye before it is gone forever that is supplemented with 16 and 17yo LDI rye if I remember correctly. Got to try a sample with David Perkins and found it to be delicious and was able to bring one home where I will be able to try it side by side with the original.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21308&stc=1

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!