TTB label approval for new Pikesville Rye

amg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just happen to have some space on the shelf for it. Also, the car trunk is EMPTY.

Yea this one looks to be a homerun. Its still the same mashbill as Rittenhouse though, isn't it?

Even if its double the price of regular Pikesville Rye it will still be under $30, and I doubt it will be that much.

Yeah, I expect it's just an older, higher proof version of Ritt, but then that's saying a lot.

Yea this one looks to be a homerun. Its still the same mashbill as Rittenhouse though, isn't it?

Even if its double the price of regular Pikesville Rye it will still be under $30, and I doubt it will be that much.

Really? That label looks to be in the EHTaylor mold, so I'd bet no less than $50. More like $75.

Like probably everyone else, I'm really looking forward to this.

As for the price, I would expect it to pretty reasonable. HH's comparable products (EC12, Bernheim, HM BIB) are usually about $25-$35 in GA, so I'd expect it in that ballpark and anything more than $40 would really surprise me.

Yeah, I expect it's just an older, higher proof version of Ritt, but then that's saying a lot.

That's what a HH rep told me it is.

Ritt's already $30 here guys, so I'd have to agree with Suntour on the price. I doubt $75, but wouldn't be surprised if it nicked $50.

It's a damn shame, but all HH has to do is look around and see what their competing against.

Irregardless, I'll be all over this at any price close to reasonable.

Like probably everyone else, I'm really looking forward to this.

As for the price, I would expect it to pretty reasonable. HH's comparable products (EC12, Bernheim, HM BIB) are usually about $25-$35 in GA, so I'd expect it in that ballpark and anything more than $40 would really surprise me.

I certainly hope you are right.

Wash DC environs have Ritt for $22 (Mont. County, MD, stores) to $28 (near the large hotels downtown). Finding the regular Pikesville is not a chore but not a snap, either.

I guess I'm the only person that is not looking forward to this one. I really enjoy the 3yo 80 proof Pikesville. I hope they keep making it and this is just an add-on. If not, I guess I'll have to go to Old Overholt as my easy drinking rye.

Here's my thinking on the price. Comparing prices from region to region is always tricky, so let's go with the price of Rittenhouse at Caskers. My logic here is that this is likely at the very high end of possible prices we might regularly see, given their tendency to overcharge. Caskers currently has Rittenhouse at $28.99.

So, a price of $50 for Pikesville would be almost twice as much. So, I would think $35 to a little over $40 seems about right depending on the area, which would be a 50% premium over Rittenhouse.

I've heard it will be $50 per bottle, per results from the Ultimate Beverage Challenge where it was graded.

http://www.ultimate-beverage.com/ultimate-spirits-challenge-USC/2015-spirits-results/details/7602/

The standard Pikesville rye can be found everywhere in MD, and if you know where to shop you should be able to find it for about $12. I can't imagine them doubling the price, but even if they did its still a good buy. Anywhere under $30 and I'm in. Any more than that I'll have to have a taste first.

That's what a HH rep told me it is.

I was told that as well by an HH Rep.

With Knob Creek rye at NAS (maybe 4-5yo?) 100 proof selling for about $30-32 (Binny's and Party Source prices) and Russell's Reserve 6yo 90 proof at around $36-42 (K&L and Party Source prices. Binnys was listing an 80 proof Russell's Reserve rye???) it seems fairly reasonable to think this will be around $40 to mid $40's in this market. Only time will tell I suppose but will be worth at least one try when it comes out.

I'm still trying to figure out if the 3yo 80 proof version sold in Maryland is going away.

I'm still trying to figure out if the 3yo 80 proof version sold in Maryland is going away.

Sounds good. Thank you! Pikesville is just one of those whiskies that despite the age, proof, and cheap price tag it's just a really versatile, enjoyable rye whiskey. I would really be upset to see it go away.

With Knob Creek rye at NAS (maybe 4-5yo?) 100 proof selling for about $30-32 (Binny's and Party Source prices) and Russell's Reserve 6yo 90 proof at around $36-42 (K&L and Party Source prices. Binnys was listing an 80 proof Russell's Reserve rye???) it seems fairly reasonable to think this will be around $40 to mid $40's in this market. Only time will tell I suppose but will be worth at least one try when it comes out.

I saw KC rye for $26.99 earlier in the week while traveling earlier in the week and passed. I like it so I think I will pick some up when I head to the same location again next week.

Any 100+ proof rye at $40 or less gets my attention. I like Ritt at 100 proof but it is not a favorite.

Making a run to Montgomery County shortly (all of 0.8 miles one way to the store:cool:). I'll ask. BTW, one of your earlier posts on another thread prompted me to try Pikesville even though it's only 3 yrs old. THANKS!:thankyousign:

Pick me up a couple of cases of Pikesville!

I miss MoCo stores.

I do enjoy me some regular Pikesville. Everytime I drive down to MT Vernon to o on the distillery down there, I take 15 down through PA. For two reasons. I can stop and eat at Chubbies BBQ and stop at this one store right across the Maryland line I forget the name, but I always pickup a case of it at 23 bucks a plastic handle. Damn stuff is good. I did notice the last trip, 2 week ago, that what I got was starting get the same, what I term, Canadian style rye notes I get in the HH made Rittenhouse. Fine whiskey. I will have to try this when it comes out, but 23 bucks of family size rye goodness at 3 years old, the 50 dollar 6 year will have to work hard to in me over.

Making a run to Montgomery County shortly (all of 0.8 miles one way to the store:cool:). I'll ask. BTW, one of your earlier posts on another thread prompted me to try Pikesville even though it's only 3 yrs old. THANKS!:thankyousign:

I have no inside info (although I will ask the HH Rep if the occasion presents itself) but I would be surprised to see it hang around once the new one is out. So may need to stock up now!

Ok guys! I need your help!

In the coming weeks, Heaven Hill will be making a decision whether or not to continue the 80 proof Pikesville Rye. I was in contact with Kelly from Heaven Hill and I was provided with this response to my email on the matter:

"Thank you for contacting Heaven Hill Brands and your inquiry. We thoroughly enjoy hearing from our loyal consumers and sincerely appreciate your patronage of our products.

We continue to produce our Pikesville Rye 80 Proof 3 Year Old Whiskey. In the next few weeks our President will make the decision whether to continue/discontinue its production.

As a family owned, independent company, Heaven Hill Brands takes inquiries from our customers very seriously and hope our prompt response is evidence of this. Thank you again for your patronage and if I can be of further assistance, please let me know."

Please email Heaven Hill's consumer affairs line at info@heavenhill.com to voice your support for the 80 proof Pikesville!!!!!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.