TTB label approval for new Pikesville Rye

amg
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That said, if you really like Ritt's new incarnation, then I think you'll be really happy.

In the end, the new Pikeseville is for me a B/B+ rye on a good day at a C/C- price......take from that what you will.

I absolutely agree. It's very good and definitely better than Rittenhouse, but it's overpriced by $10-$15. I'm glad I have a bottle but won't be in any rush to replace it at $50.

• 1 month later...

Finally saw this on a shelf in Wisconsin. Forget the exact price, but $50 ish. I'm a sucker for a new bottle, but didn't bite. Despite the love it gets in these parts, I've never been a big fan of the Rittenhouse BIB. Plus, the reviews haven't wowed me, although that's not the determining factor. I'd like to try this someday, but with 20-25 other ryes sitting on my shelf there's no big rush. Maybe it will pop up in a bar somewhere. Until then, I'm far more inclined to get a HW Double Rye for almost $20 less.

I feel sorta the same way but thought this would at least be shelf-lingering enough for me to formulate my opinion on.

Yeah no. Went like hotcakes.

I tried a small sample of this that a friend brought back from Kentucky, and I really enjoyed it. I'll probBly grab a bottle when it shows up here.

Picked up a bottle in the Atlanta area. $53. Was also surprised to here the store owner stating this was limited. I guess I missed that impression during the initial talk of this one. I'll open likely this weekend, lingering sinus infection has me our of Alcohol for a few more days.

Perhaps he meant he had a limited supply, or only sold to limited customers, or limited time offer, or his limited budget wouldn't allow him to stock more, or . . .

Perhaps he meant he had a limited supply, or only sold to limited customers, or limited time offer, or his limited budget wouldn't allow him to stock more, or . . .

Said he got one, and he's not a hype monger. I suppose time will tell.

Well it seemed to have sold well. And the margins on it are better than Ritt.

I don't see HH stopping now. Just have to give them time to catch up to the "I'll try that" purchasing wave.

Might be another marketing thing that seems to have occurred a bit more lately. Release a new label but make it limited initially to build some hype and then dump a bunch more on the shelves a few months later. Woodford rye did this. Hard to get initially but now seems readily available at least locally.

Grabbed a bottle of this last weekend when I was in Chicago and shared it with a friend of mine.

Its good, little tough for me to get my head around. Came across as a vanilla bomb to me which muted out the spice notes a bit more than I would have liked. Great nose, and easy sipping neat at 110pf. I'm looking forward to giving it another go. I may prefer the standard 4 year Ritt to it, but that could just be because I'm so familiar with it. Look forward to trying it again with a bottle that has some time to get a little air, this one only had about 36 hours from first pour to last sip.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying this again, tonight. The wood notes from just a few more years in the barrel are really asserting themselves, and adds to the spiciness. But, I 'm almost thinking it's covering up the general spiciness of the whiskey itself. So, more wood tannins, than rye spice. The proof uptick is evident. I'm thinking this may shine in a cocktail, beyond what Ritt 100 does. Ritt 100 (especially since change to DSP 31 which I prefer much more than DSP 354), is a great sipper. I'm guessing that the wood and proof in the Pikesville will really make my Red Hook tomorrow a real winner ! :D

• 5 months later...

Around here we get new stuff later than other places.  I finally saw this, and since I like Rittenhouse BIB.  My first impression is cinnamon and spice cake with the usual Rittenhouse flavors somewhere in the background.  The extra proof helps too.  I like it a lot.  

My only concern is the cork.  It's a huge cork almost like what is used for Champagne.  You guys have scared me with the cork horror stories.

HH rep at the EC table at WhiskyFest Washington DC last night told me Pikesville 110 is NOT going away.  He was on the tasting panel picking the "winner" from the various proofs being tried out, and the 110 was the easy favorite inhouse.

• 2 months later...
On 3/2/2016 at 2:34 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

HH rep at the EC table at WhiskyFest Washington DC last night told me Pikesville 110 is NOT going away.  He was on the tasting panel picking the "winner" from the various proofs being tried out, and the 110 was the easy favorite inhouse.

From my conversations with the various liquor store owners and managers in Maryland, the new Pikesville Rye is a really strong seller.  Of course, the brand has more history here than elsewhere, but a datapoint is a datapoint.  I for one really enjoy it.  Brought a bottle of it to a friend's house for a bonfire last winter, and we had a pretty hard time limiting ourselves to a couple responsible drinks.  

• 2 weeks later...

yup. As per usual I'm late to the action but I believe I'll be buyin' a 6-case on Tuesday.

5 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

yup. As per usual I'm late to the action but I believe I'll be buyin' a 6-case on Tuesday.

You will be pleased with your purchase. This has become my favorite readily available rye.

I hadn't seen Pikesville around mid Missouri at all until just a few days ago. Dropped by my favorite local shop and he had just gotten a his weekly shipment in and it included a few bottles of hard to find offerings... Pikesville, Smooth Ambler Old Scout Ten, and EC Barrel Proof. I grabbed a bottle of the ECBP and then had to decide between the SAOSTen and the Pikesville. Chose the SAOSTen. However, my greed eventually got the better of me and I went back yesterday and picked up the Pikesville too!

• 3 weeks later...
On Saturday, May 28, 2016 at 10:28 AM, MOwhisky4me said:

I hadn't seen Pikesville around mid Missouri at all until just a few days ago. Dropped by my favorite local shop and he had just gotten a his weekly shipment in and it included a few bottles of hard to find offerings... Pikesville, Smooth Ambler Old Scout Ten, and EC Barrel Proof. I grabbed a bottle of the ECBP and then had to decide between the SAOSTen and the Pikesville. Chose the SAOSTen. However, my greed eventually got the better of me and I went back yesterday and picked up the Pikesville too!

What are your impressions of the Pikesville?

I bought a bottle some months ago but I confess I haven't warmed up to it.  I seem to prefer the MGP ryes, if only for the herbal / lemon notes.   Pikesville / Rittenhouse don't have much of a distinguishing taste IMO.

Edited by ken_mays

1 hour ago, ken_mays said:

What are your impressions of the Pikesville?

To be honest I haven't cracked it open yet. Just got back from a family vacation to Colorado and picked up a couple bottles of Leopold Bros. Maryland Style Rye while I was there. Now that we're back, I'm anxious to try the Pikesville side by side with the Leopold Bros.

I'll post impressions when I have the chance to give the Pikesville a good test drive!

• 1 month later...

Finally saw this today but it was on the shelf behind the counter.  The asking price is $99.  Easy pass.

TT - according to the HH rep I talked to in March (who said he was on the selection team for Pikesville), the 110 proof is going to be a standard release for them for the foreseeable future.  Around here, retail is about $50 although I have picked up some on sale for $40-45.  Indeed, be patient, and don't feel bad about your pass.

14 hours ago, TunnelTiger said:

Finally saw this today but it was on the shelf behind the counter.  The asking price is $99.  Easy pass.

Yup, an easy pass @ $99 - Pikesville is $43.99 OTD here.  It's got to be one of my favorite ryes, neat thank you.  I drink it too fast with a ball of ice.   ;) 

• 5 months later...

Is this becoming allocated? Are you guys finding this one hard to find in your locale? I hope this one is readily available and doesn't turn into another BT like unicorn.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.