Tequila....and I thought whiskey could be expensive

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

http://www.gayot.com/spirits/top10tequilas/tres-quatro-cinco-anejo.html

Only 2-3 of these bottles are in the affordable zone for many people barring a splurge purchase.

Not being very familiar with tequila / anejo outside of mixing, the Gran Dovejo Reposado, El Tesoro Reposado and the Alquimia Reserva de Don Adolfo Extra Añejo are in the typical bourbon / scotch price zone. Any recommendations for a good sipping tequila?

Edited by Jono

I read the whole tequila thread started by Max Power. One tequila I discovered that I really like is El Ultimo Reposado. It usually goes for low $20s around here. I think it's way better than any of the more popular brands.

I try to be diplomatic about spirit pricing but some of those are just damn ridiculous. I would put them in the category of "for people with more money than sense".

While I don't own any of these particular bottles other than the El Tesoro (I have the anejo and Paradiso extra anejo, not the reposado) I have had a chance to try several of them (Casa Dragones, Don Julio Real, Gran Patron Burdeos, Partida Elegante) and the bottles that are $200-300 and up are certainly not worth it to me. I particularly don't understand the "joven" style like Casa Dragones. They filter away flavor along with the color and then want to charge you more for it? No thanks!

But a "sipping" tequila that is an anejo or extra anejo are often as much as $80-120 and some are well worth it to me. Excellia anejo, Don Julio 1942, El Tesoro Paradiso, Don Pilar Extra Anejo all come to mind. The downside with most tequila is they are typically 80 proof or close to it. Hard to find a good quality tequila with a bit of proof to it. Of the 25 or so I currently have only 2 are above 80 proof.

The Don Julio line looks interesting.

Some feel it may have slipped a bit since Diageo took full control. But that may just be a general dislike for Diageo! It is almost certainly no longer a "family" made tequila.

A couple of years ago tasting 1942 side by side with the Real I found the 1942 to be much more to my liking.

Thanks for the suggestions, the 7 Leguas has some nice reviews too. Just like Rum, there are many fine choices beyond the typical white mixers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Can't go wrong with any Casa Noble product. Blanco is around 30 and the repo around 40 but if you really want a treat try the anejo.

• 4 years later...

I agree with the Casa Noble Single Barrel Extra Añejo. Very good for drinking straight. I have not tried their other tequilas though they have them at Dos Salsas Restaurant in Georgetown, Texas where I dine fairly often with my favorite aunt and uncle. We always start eating and drinking and I forget to order one each of the Casa Nobles to try there. Hope to remember next visit!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.