Bourbon Aged Beers

greatgoo
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/19/2016 at 9:29 PM, Golzee said:

Poured a Backwoods Bastard by Founders.  So far this has been my favorite bourbon barrel aged beer.

I agree.  It's really good.  The Scotch ale flavor marries well with the bourbon barrel.

My brother was able to grab me a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout today in the Chicago suburbs. A ridiculous price but I haven't had a bottle in 5 years. I'll be getting it Sunday. Looking forward to seeing if it is as good as I remember.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

My brother was able to grab me a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout today in the Chicago suburbs. A ridiculous price but I haven't had a bottle in 5 years. I'll be getting it Sunday. Looking forward to seeing if it is as good as I remember.

How ridiculous a price ?  

17 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

15.99 per bottle

That's only about a buck an ounce...  :lol:

Getting to be the going price for some of the artsy craft beers these days although at least you usually get a bomber sized bottle!

Edited by tanstaafl2

I may or may not have picked up a couple of bottles of Brooklyn Black Ops today. Tried one last week and if it wasn't a figment of my imagination, pretty darn good.   Pricey at $21 a bottle but I simply had to see if it ages well.   Also was gifted the LE bottle of Innis & Gunn Hopped Bourbon Cask Ale.  Big fan of their Bourbon Aged Dark so I think this may be equally as nice.  

image.jpeg

On 12/21/2016 at 8:51 AM, meadeweber said:

I agree.  It's really good.  The Scotch ale flavor marries well with the bourbon barrel.

Has always been my favorite Founder's barrel aged. A must get every release. 

Had the High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout from Lagunitas.  It's aged in High West bourbon and rye barrels. It was really nice but quite sweet.  A good dessert beer.  Glad my wife picked me up a six pack.

15 hours ago, $helby said:

I may or may not have picked up a couple of bottles of Brooklyn Black Ops today. Tried one last week and if it wasn't a figment of my imagination, pretty darn good.   Pricey at $21 a bottle but I simply had to see if it ages well.   Also was gifted the LE bottle of Innis & Gunn Hopped Bourbon Cask Ale.  Big fan of their Bourbon Aged Dark so I think this may be equally as nice.  

image.jpeg

Very Nice Brew!

Cheers!

2 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Had the High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout from Lagunitas.  It's aged in High West bourbon and rye barrels. It was really nice but quite sweet.  A good dessert beer.  Glad my wife picked me up a six pack.

Have not seen that around here.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, MTNBourbon said:

Have not seen that around here.

Cheers!

I saw it at total wine one day hit next week when I was back it was already gone. 

6 minutes ago, JoeTerp said:

I saw it at total wine one day hit next week when I was back it was already gone. 

We get some Lagunitas around here, but not the really nice stuff.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/21/2016 at 10:02 AM, BMartin42 said:

On 12/21/2016 at 5:37 PM, smokinjoe said:

How ridiculous a price ?  

On 12/21/2016 at 7:28 PM, BMartin42 said:

15.99 per bottle

On 12/22/2016 at 1:05 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

That's only about a buck an ounce...  :lol:

Getting to be the going price for some of the artsy craft beers these days although at least you usually get a bomber sized bottle!

You got it Bruce. BCBS, for those that don't know, is 5.1 ounces short of the traditional 22 ounce beer bomber, 16.9 ounces aka 1 Pint .9 FL OZ. ;). And BMart, price at Binny's for the stout was $9.99 but did see it $15.99 at other non Binny's liquor stores here.

However the BCBS Rare showed up after Christmas, $69.99 at Binny's for the same 16.9 more rare ounces. $79.99 at the other major retailer that was distributed a big share. Saw $129.99 at a smaller fish store that had the regular stout at $15.99. And you ask what's so RARE...HH 30 plus year barrels and more time in the barrel but several thousand bottles estimated to be distributed.

Edited by T Comp

• 4 weeks later...

My BIL and I went to the Central Waters anniversary event at the brewery on Saturday.  It was a good time, although driving 10 hours for 12 bottles of beer and a couple samples seems pretty crazy (to non-beer folk at least).  First time I've had one of their anniversary barrel-aged stouts, this year's is Nineteen.  It is really good, I'm glad to have been able to get some of it.  Also glad I can get their regular barrel-aged releases without driving so far. ;)

Jason

On 12/26/2016 at 7:24 PM, $helby said:

image.jpeg

Good score. I think I mentioned BBO back on this thread someplace. Certainly my favorite beer. Really just as good as it gets. 

My BIL and I went to the Central Waters anniversary event at the brewery on Saturday.  It was a good time, although driving 10 hours for 12 bottles of beer and a couple samples seems pretty crazy (to non-beer folk at least).  First time I've had one of their anniversary barrel-aged stouts, this year's is Nineteen.  It is really good, I'm glad to have been able to get some of it.  Also glad I can get their regular barrel-aged releases without driving so far. [emoji6]

Jason

Glad you enjoyed it Jason.

I live in Minneapolis an plan on going next year. To close and to good of a brewery to miss

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy Backwoods Bastard. I like KBS as well but it gets harder to find every year.  I just picked up a 4 pack of Frootwood from their Barrel Aged series today. One local store was selling it with a 2 bottle limit while this store had a bunch of it with no limit. I haven't found a Founder's I don't like yet. Their Porter is probably the best of that style, period, end of story.

20170211_130149-1328x747.jpg

6 hours ago, Clueby said:

I enjoy Backwoods Bastard. I like KBS as well but it gets harder to find every year.  I just picked up a 4 pack of Frootwood from their Barrel Aged series today. One local store was selling it with a 2 bottle limit while this store had a bunch of it with no limit. I haven't found a Founder's I don't like yet. Their Porter is probably the best of that style, period, end of story.

I'm curious how the Frootwood is when you get a chance to have some.  I passed on a larger format today at Total Wine.  I haven't had too much of the Founder's range, but I didn't enjoy their Lizard of Koz and that was enough to keep me away from the Frootwood for now.

Picked up a four pack of Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad.  I have high hopes for this as I enjoy their The Sixth Glass quad.

On 2/11/2017 at 8:17 PM, JoeTerp said:

I'm curious how the Frootwood is when you get a chance to have some.  I passed on a larger format today at Total Wine.  I haven't had too much of the Founder's range, but I didn't enjoy their Lizard of Koz and that was enough to keep me away from the Frootwood for now.

I passed on LoK. I tried the the Frootwood tonight. I really like it. The cherry tartness is tamed down by the barrel aging. Its still there but softer. I get VERY subtle maple, bourbon, and barrel notes but it really does blend all together really well for a tasty pour. I was expecting something more "over the top" with tartness like Rubeaus but was pleasantly surprised. It has the bourbony aftertaste that Backwoods has but a lot reduced. This isn't something I'd drink everyday but would make a good dessert. I'm thinking a piece of dark chocolate would go awesome with it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.