What Cocktail are you enjoying Spring/Summer 2015?

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Tried a recipe I saw on one of the wife's cooking shows last night:

Meyer Lemon & Thyme Whiskey Sour

Mixed up some Simple Syrup using Cane Sugar, Water and fresh Thyme. Let it sit for about half an hour before straining into a container with a couple fresh sprigs of Thyme.

Squeezed some juice from a couple Meyer lemons (from my own tree).

2 OZ Bourbon (OWA)

1 OZ Meyer Lemon juice

1.5 OZ Thyme Simple Syrup

Garnish w/sprig of Thyme

First one was good, but very sweet.

for the second, I cut down to 1 OZ of SS, and 3/4 OZ Lemon juice, and used OGD114. Cut the sweetness some, but the OWA seemed to work better with the mixture than the OGD.

The best cocktail I have ever had, an old fashioned made with Stagg Jr. I swear that bourbon can fight it's way through anything. I use raw cane sugar and a combo of aromatic and orange bitters. Some days I think about this all day long! I have my flame suit on for all of those who say Stagg Jr should never be mixed, but I absolutely love this!

The best cocktail I have ever had, an old fashioned made with Stagg Jr. I swear that bourbon can fight it's way through anything. I use raw cane sugar and a combo of aromatic and orange bitters. Some days I think about this all day long! I have my flame suit on for all of those who say Stagg Jr should never be mixed, but I absolutely love this!

Can't think of a single reason why Stagg, Jr couldn't be mixed. Indeed, usually the better the spirits in the cocktail, the better the cocktail!

I noticed that my mint patch in the garden is busting through, so picked a bunch and whipped up a Mint Julep this evening.

Finished up for the day on my yard project, and relaxing before heading down to the ballpark to watch the Braves. Asked Mrssmokinjoe to whip me up something refreshing as I critique my work. She comes back with an ETL and Sprite over a heaping pile of crushed ice in a Blanton's rocks glass, no less. Oh, the synchronicity of it all. :D

• 1 month later...

Haven't had one in a while, I need some medication after a long day at the plastic factory, and Mrssmokinjoe just walked in from the grocery announcing she picked up some oranges...So, I jumped into the middle of a muddling exercise resulting in a fine, fine, FINE, Old Fashioned. Fighting Cock for the bourbon is perfect.

Following Boulevardiers (bourbon was EWB) with ribs on Saturday, we stayed in the French mode and tonight had Kirs before Shake and Bake pork chops. I'm having VOB BIB for dessert.

EDIT - I posted earlier under some thread where tanstaafl mentioned Seelbachs that I planned to those with the ribs. I got outvoted 1-1. 41 years of marriage, and I still can't say "NO"!!

Edited by Harry in WashDC

Following Boulevardiers (bourbon was EWB) with ribs on Saturday, we stayed in the French mode and tonight had Kirs before Shake and Bake pork chops. I'm having VOB BIB for dessert.

EDIT - I posted earlier under some thread where tanstaafl mentioned Seelbachs that I planned to those with the ribs. I got outvoted 1-1. 41 years of marriage, and I still can't say "NO"!!

I find it easiest to make separate cocktails to please all palates! Kinda like having separate checking accounts... :rolleyes:

The Seelbachs are back on the menu - she put a 375 of Veuve Cliquot in the fridge tonight. I think we're having them with grilled trout this weekend.

ASIDE: Keeping up a tradition started by my Dad circa 1955, the person(s) tending the grill can drink bourbon while cooking. The dilemma: which one to have. I'm thinking a BP 4R OBSO with a small rock if it's hot outside.

I am to understand that this is Negroni Week. I got gin. I got Campari. I got Red Vermouth. I got an orange peel. I got ice. I got a glass.

I gots a Negroni, and it's pretty good!

I am to understand that this is Negroni Week. I got gin. I got Campari. I got Red Vermouth. I got an orange peel. I got ice. I got a glass.

I gots a Negroni, and it's pretty good!

Nice, Joe. Now sub the gin for bourbon or rye and you've got a Boulevardier. Add chocolate bitters and you've got the Left Hand that Bruce made at Sampler a couple of years ago.

Dang it !! If I only had those! :lol:

Dang it !! If I only had those! :lol:

I know someone that does...

One of my favorite way off the beaten track variations is:

1.75 Sombra Mezcal

0.75 Aperol

1.00 Dolin Rouge

2 dashes Regans Orange bitters

This "Negroni" is smokin'!!!!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Nice, Joe. Now sub the gin for bourbon or rye and you've got a Boulevardier. Add chocolate bitters and you've got the Left Hand that Bruce made at Sampler a couple of years ago.

Don't forget the maraschino cherry!

If you want to take it a step further down a dark, deliciously bitter path there is the Southpaw.

Bourbon, Punt e Mes, Campari, Fernet-Branca, Peychaud's bitters

After a quick stare at the bag of lemons in the fruit bowl, how could I pass up a simple sour?

A cold, slightly tart bracing drink makes for a fine end to a warm Sunday afternoon.

B

After a quick stare at the bag of lemons in the fruit bowl, how could I pass up a simple sour?

A cold, slightly tart bracing drink makes for a fine end to a warm Sunday afternoon.

B

I just picked the last 6 lemons off the trees a few minutes ago. I think a Whiskey Sour would be perfect after I clean the pool and mow the lawn... and have a cold beer...

Thanks for the suggestion. :cool:

Made Old Groaners last night with FRYL. Turned out pretty good.

Recipe is 2oz whiskey + 1/2 oz amaretto over ice in an old fashioned glass. I used a little more amaretto than that because I was trying to finish off a bottle. Toward the end of the drink I added a bit of soda water to see what it did for the drink and it definitely made it worse.

A big Boulevardier ala E and Bruce.

Don't forget the maraschino cherry!

If you want to take it a step further down a dark, deliciously bitter path there is the Southpaw.

Bourbon, Punt e Mes, Campari, Fernet-Branca, Peychaud's bitters

I recently used Woodford Double Oaked in an Old Fashioned and Boulevardier just to use it up. Both were stunningly delicious. The oakiness and that odd Woodford profile really gave the cocktails a nice dimension that other bourbons don't give. I would never have predicted this, but I'll be buying another bottle of WRDO just for cocktail use. Go figure!

I recently used Woodford Double Oaked in an Old Fashioned and Boulevardier just to use it up. Both were stunningly delicious. The oakiness and that odd Woodford profile really gave the cocktails a nice dimension that other bourbons don't give. I would never have predicted this, but I'll be buying another bottle of WRDO just for cocktail use. Go figure!

That dinner pairing got you thinkin' huh?

That dinner pairing got you thinkin' huh?

Yeah, and I'm pissed that this damn cold is going to keep me away. Would be perfect night for it as Mrssmokinjoe and Littlesmokinjoe will be gone at the Lana Del Rey concert and we all could have preparty over here. Y'all enjoy, anyhow...

Enjoying a southpaw made with eagle rare right now, very nice, thanks for sharing.

Im being really greedy tonight and having it with a side pour of nikka from the barrel and a cigar, between the three im pretty happy!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.