What Cocktail are you enjoying Spring/Summer 2015?

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had my first old fashioned ever. It's was a special at this place. Banana Nut Old Fashioned. Infused Buffalo Trace bourbon.

Always wanted to try one and was excited to but had to say I didn't like it.

Hmm

Had my first old fashioned ever. It's was a special at this place. Banana Nut Old Fashioned. Infused Buffalo Trace bourbon.

Always wanted to try one and was excited to but had to say I didn't like it.

Hmm

I hope you're not saying you don't like Old Fashioneds generally based on this "Banana Nut" drink, because based on the description I doubt it is actually an Old Fashioned, the name notwithstanding.

I have been on a Manhattan kick recently, testing them with various whiskeys I have sitting open. Four so far: WT101 Rye, Old Potrero 19th Century Rye, AAA 10 Year, Lot 40 Rye. The Old Potrero has too unusual a flavor to work in this cocktail, but the WT101 Rye and Lot 40 Rye were excellent and the AAA 10 Year was very nice too. All drinks made 2:1 with Martini & Rossi and two dashes of Angostura (stirred, which I think works much better).

That dinner pairing got you thinkin' huh?

Say what????????

Say what????????

Never mind! I see they did another JD/WR night at NY Prime last night.

I hope you're not saying you don't like Old Fashioneds generally based on this "Banana Nut" drink, because based on the description I doubt it is actually an Old Fashioned, the name notwithstanding.

I have been on a Manhattan kick recently, testing them with various whiskeys I have sitting open. Four so far: WT101 Rye, Old Potrero 19th Century Rye, AAA 10 Year, Lot 40 Rye. The Old Potrero has too unusual a flavor to work in this cocktail, but the WT101 Rye and Lot 40 Rye were excellent and the AAA 10 Year was very nice too. All drinks made 2:1 with Martini & Rossi and two dashes of Angostura (stirred, which I think works much better).

I've tried making Manhattans with the Old Potrero Ryes myself. They do have a very distinctive flavor that just doesn't mesh as smoothly with the vermouth.

That looks like a bit of fun, i will being trying that for sure, a bourbon coke is a guilty pleasure for me, which really shouldnt be, but I imagine this cocktail will only strike a passing resemblence to it.

Anyone else taken by the general stupidity in the comments section?!

I had to go back and read them after seeing your post. Wonder how that guy enjoyed 1/2 cup of Coke/sugar syrup mixed with 2 oz of bourbon? :slappin:

Made a couple of Manhattans. The first was with WT Rye 101° and the second with SB Blend (60/40). Although both were good, I have to go with the SB Blend as the better of the two. I make a Manhattan 6:1 whiskey:vermouth with Angostura orange bitters and a couple of Luxardo maraschino cherries (retaining just a bit of the syrup). The cherries really complement the wheated bourbon.

Made a couple of Manhattans. The first was with WT Rye 101° and the second with SB Blend (60/40). Although both were good, I have to go with the SB Blend as the better of the two. I make a Manhattan 6:1 whiskey:vermouth with Angostura orange bitters and a couple of Luxardo maraschino cherries (retaining just a bit of the syrup). The cherries really complement the wheated bourbon.

Like others, I've been reaping the benefits of a spearmint plant. I've made several Whiskey Smashes for the wife and I, and after a recent trip to New Orleans I've been excited to perfect my Mint Julep preparation. I was lucky enough to have a few Juleps prepared by Chris McMillan at Kingfish who is one of the most interesting bartenders (aside from Bruce) that I've ever spent time with

Enjoying Fathers Day with Citadelle Gin and Tonic, while I kick back in the chaise and watch Mrssmokinjoe doing yard work. Yeah, I'm gonna get my ass kicked for asking her to get me more ice...;)

Enjoying Fathers Day with Citadelle Gin and Tonic, while I kick back in the chaise and watch Mrssmokinjoe doing yard work. Yeah, I'm gonna get my ass kicked for asking her to get me more ice...;)

Here's to hoping your daughter takes some video of the ass kicking and posts it on YouTube :grin:

Here's to hoping your daughter takes some video of the ass kicking and posts it on YouTube :grin:

Heehee! Gary, if I know her, there will be music, special effects, and sub-titles to make it an Extra Special ass whoopin'!!! :lol:

Summer is kicking us right in the face so I am finally switching gears. Time to put away the heavy stuff and break out the summer drinks. The blackberries are tasting good today, so I am sipping on a few bramble cocktails tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Sipping on a well constructed Left Hand, with Buffalo Trace as the base. Terrific on a gorgeous evening here, Down South.

Drinking Manhattan/Rob Roy variant made with Nikka from the barrel, which is a pretty delicious and bourbony whisky on its own but I love mixing it with vermouth on the odd occasion, seems to hit the spot when bourbon alone wont do it, and the high proof is always appreciated, such a rich and interesting cocktail, but simple too

2.5oz nikka from the barrel

1oz cochi di torino

4 dashes agno

Luxardo cherry garnish

Drinking A Sour Old Fashioned.

Splash of water

3-4 shakes of Peychauds

2 Shakes orange bitter

2-3 oz Rye or High Rye Bourbon

Splash of home made sour mix

1/4 cup sugar

2 cups water

Juice of:

1 orange

2 limes

3 lemons

Add lime and lemon zest, then heat till sugar is dissolved. Strain into a container and refrigerate.

I don‘t add a ton of sugar because I do not need the extra sugar and I find most sour mixes over sweet.

When I make a batch it stays fresh for about a week.

This doesnt hide the whisky and isn't cloying. If I add fruit, It's usually an orange.

Blackberries are in season. We have lots of them. Here's something I do with them.

Macerate (i.e., run through a food processor) a cup of blackberries and a cup of lemonade. Strain.

In a double Old Fashioned glass, put

-- 2 ounces of tequila or bourbon or London Dry gin and

-- 2 ounces of the blackberry+lemonade juice and

-- 1/2 teaspoon of agave syrup and

-- ice and then

-- top off with club soda.

Stir and drink.

2.5oz knob creek

1oz rosso antico (the old americano bottling)

4 dashes peychauds

Stirred over ice and strained into a coupe.

Tonight, it was a Bourbon Rickey. Simple and refreshing after a very hot summer day. A shot of Old Grand Dad 86, squeeze in a wedge of fresh lime, top with club soda.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

Settling in for a night of Braves on the radio with an Oliva Serie V and a Boulevardier. Dumped in a prodigious amount of Angostura bitters for good measure.

Ya know, Boulevardiers and cigars go very, very, well together.

:toast:

Highball while winding down on a great weekend. Beam Bonded and Vernor's Ginger Ale over a bunch of ice. Beam seems made for Vernor's. :yum:

Adult Arnold Palmer with Deep Eddy's sweat tea vodka and Simply Lemonade. Quite nice on a sweltering afternoon.

Hidden

Ran out of FRSmB today, which I use for my old fashioneds and manhattans. Unfortunately all I had left were sipping bourbons. What are everyone's thoughts? Higher bourbon results in higher end cocktail, or is it a travesty to use a higher end bourbon in a cocktail? I thought the cocktails tasted great. Admittedly, coming from a single malt scotch drinker, I would be appalled at the thought, but it truly opened my eyes a bit.

Not the wrong thread..gosh I'm a goof. But anyway, original post:

Ran out of FRSmB today, which I use for my old fashioneds and manhattans. Unfortunately all I had left were sipping bourbons. What are everyone's thoughts? Higher bourbon results in higher end cocktail, or is it a travesty to use a higher end bourbon in a cocktail? I thought the cocktails tasted great. Admittedly, coming from a single malt scotch drinker, I would be appalled at the thought, but it truly opened my eyes a bit.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.