What Cocktail are you enjoying Spring/Summer 2015?

kjbeggs
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Not the wrong thread..gosh I'm a goof. But anyway, original post:

Ran out of FRSmB today, which I use for my old fashioneds and manhattans. Unfortunately all I had left were sipping bourbons. What are everyone's thoughts? Higher bourbon results in higher end cocktail, or is it a travesty to use a higher end bourbon in a cocktail? I thought the cocktails tasted great. Admittedly, coming from a single malt scotch drinker, I would be appalled at the thought, but it truly opened my eyes a bit.

You said it yourself. Within reason, a higher end bourbon results in higher end cocktail. What is reasonable ultimately is up to you. Nothing better to me than a Sazerac made with Handy rye!

Highball while winding down on a great weekend. Beam Bonded and Vernor's Ginger Ale over a bunch of ice. Beam seems made for Vernor's. :yum:

Thanks for this. I wondered what I was going to have tonight. AND, I have a brand new six-pack of Vernor's.

Adult Arnold Palmer with Deep Eddy's sweat tea vodka and Simply Lemonade. Quite nice on a sweltering afternoon.

Highball while winding down on a great weekend. Beam Bonded and Vernor's Ginger Ale over a bunch of ice. Beam seems made for Vernor's. :yum:

OMG!! On the recent BOTM JBW discussion thread, several of us noted how well (at least from what we remember from days gone by), how well JBW mixed with Coke and other soft drinks which is how most of us started drinking it. I just did a couple of JB BIBs+ Vernor's Diet Ginger Ale (1 part JBBIB to 2 parts VDGA and top with ice). Trust me on this - you do NOT want to try this without adult supervision. 4 oz. of JB bonded + 8 oz. of ginger ale plus ice to the rim is HEAVEN.

Prior to this, I had trouble cataloguing JB bonded. I like the JB 8 yr (now, the doubled aged "8") and Knob Creek (@ 100 proof with that rough edge)and wondered where the (homogenized?) bonded fit. ANSWER: drink the KC neat or with ice and the "8" when you want something light. Use the bonded as your mixer. Move over, EWB.

Dammit, Harry! It's 11:00 PM, and I have to leave the house at 5:00 AM tomorrow with a big day ahead of me, and you're using my own crap to sucker me in to whipping up a Bonded Beam and Vernor's! Curse you!!!! :lol:

Just a little one...It'll help me sleep...;)

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...

Today I bought some Aperol and after trying it straight I am experimenting with it and different bourbons, ryes, and bitters. I mixed some with some with RittBIB and the Aperol tasted more sweet and citrusy, very similar to an Old Fashioned. I next mixed it with WSR and the finish was much more bitter, herbal, and dry, almost like a Sazerac.

Does anyone have any recommended bourbon/rye drinks that use Aperol?

Did grilled rainbow trout last night. I needed a light pre-dinner drink and wanted to use up some dregs. I settled on a cocktaildb.com recipe for "The Culross". Similar to a Negroni, it is easy to remember:

1 oz. rum (I used Bourbancourt 4 yr.)

1 oz. Lillet Blanc

1 oz. Apricot brandy (I used Bols 70 proof Apricot-flavored brandy)

juice of 1/4 lemon.

We tried it on rocks and UP. Serve UP - the rocks tends to make it too watery at the end.

Today I bought some Aperol and after trying it straight I am experimenting with it and different bourbons, ryes, and bitters. I mixed some with some with RittBIB and the Aperol tasted more sweet and citrusy, very similar to an Old Fashioned. I next mixed it with WSR and the finish was much more bitter, herbal, and dry, almost like a Sazerac.

• 2 weeks later...

Umm, yes... :cool:

Just need to get caught up a bit first as I am back out on the road again. Presuming I remember!

In the meantime a classic.

Paper Plane

[TABLE]

[TR=class: odd]

[TD=class: qty]34

[/TD]

[TD=class: units]oz

[/TD]

[TD=class: ingredient]Bourbon. Elijah Craig 12 was the original bourbon used.

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: even]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=class: ingredient]Aperol

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: odd]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=class: ingredient]Amaro Nonino (readily available and delicious on its own but a bit pricey. Ramazotti is another good option)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: even]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=class: ingredient]Lemon Juice

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Shake with ice, strain, serve straight up in cocktail glass (I prefer a coupe).

Dee-lightful!

Couple days ago tried my first Sazarac, having bought my first bottle of absinthe. Used wt101 as the rye. Decent, but seemed like it should have more going on. Will be experimenting by trying Jeff10, different types of bitters, and the addition of a little fresh orange juice and/or horehound (at which point it will no longer technically be a Sazarac).

I dont mind occasionaly subsistuting aperol into a Boulevardier, depending on my mood i may subsistute it for either the vermouth or the campari, guess it depends on how much of a bitter mood im in.

Id start with equal parts bourbon, sweet vermouth of your choice and aperol, stired over ice and strained, you may want to garnish with orange peel.

This is good advice. I tried it and really enjoyed it, sort of like a cross between a Manhattan and an Old Fashioned.

Did you use Peychaud's bitters? It completely changes the flavor of the cocktail if you use other bitters.

Tim

Assuming this Q is for me and the Sazarac, yes I used Peychaud's. The recipe I was looking at, from Esquire I think, added Angostura as optional but I went solely with Peychaud's to start with in an attempt to make it a little more "authentic."

My current thinking is that this cocktail is so rye forward the rye chosen really needs to be great. The WT101 was good, but not great. After Jeff10 ucf, I will probably try Rendezvous and eventually Handy or Saz18.

Ran across this one yesterday:

Paper Plane

.75 oz Bourbon (Recommend over 90 proof)

.75 oz Aperol

.75 oz Amaro Nonino

.75 oz fresh Lemon juice

Add to shaker, fill w/ice & shake until very cold.

Strain into Coupe glass

Oops, I just saw this was posted a page or two back. Don't know how I missed it.

For the record, i actually subbed Bitter Truth E*X*R for the Nonino, as that was what I had on hand

Edited by kjbeggs

Assuming this Q is for me and the Sazarac, yes I used Peychaud's. The recipe I was looking at, from Esquire I think, added Angostura as optional but I went solely with Peychaud's to start with in an attempt to make it a little more "authentic."

My current thinking is that this cocktail is so rye forward the rye chosen really needs to be great. The WT101 was good, but not great. After Jeff10 ucf, I will probably try Rendezvous and eventually Handy or Saz18.

Yes, it was. The Sazerac is my favorite cocktail and I have been using baby Saz for mine, lately. But I enjoy them the most made at a good bar in New Orleans. The best one I ever had was at K Paul's Kitchen.

Tim

What about the other part, did you use Herbsaint or Absinthe? I have had very good luck with bulleit rye in sazeracs, btw.

What about the other part, did you use Herbsaint or Absinthe? I have had very good luck with bulleit rye in sazeracs, btw.

I used Mata Hari Absinthe. Never tried Bulleit rye, but maybe have another 95% mgpi lying around.

Inspired by the delicious Red Hook that Bucky1 shared last week during cocktail hour at the GN on Saturday of KBF, I just made my first one. Lovin' it, while relaxing in the garage watching a steady drizzle fall from the sky.

Inspired by the delicious Red Hook that Bucky1 shared last week during cocktail hour at the GN on Saturday of KBF, I just made my first one. Lovin' it, while relaxing in the garage watching a steady drizzle fall from the sky.

Joe, next time you see Jon, ask him about the Red Hook he made w FOUR(!) shots of Thomas H Handy. Manliest (or craziest) cocktail I've ever seen.

And to to stay on topic-enjoying a Kickin' KY Mule (meaning OGD114 as the base) while grilling teriyaki steaks for dinner. Ginger pairs well w oriental right?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.