Alberta Rye Dark Batch from Beam Suntory

BigBoldBully
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Thanks for the heads up as well as the review on this Gary. Definitely on my radar, but I'm sure I won't be able to find it... until I quit looking for it! :lol:

It's always amusing to me to see what people consider mash-ups and what they don't. These in fact are constructs, arbitrary designations that have no inherent validity. Why isn't Tennessee whiskey, say - I note on another thread a Tennessee resident writing that he has no taste for it and prefers Canadian - more valid than Dark Horse/Dark Batch? Jack Daniels and George Dickel are mash-ups of corn, rye, barley malt, yeast, maple charcoal, charred oak casks, sometimes a post-aging visit to the maple charcoal tanks again. From the viewpoint of 1800 when pot still white whiskey was the dominant style, that sounded like a mash-up to many I'm sure - until they got used to it and used it or bourbon and straight rye as a standard by to judge Canadian whisky and find it wanting.

The very large sale Canadian whisky fetches in the States would suggest to me the average whisky drinker considers it a most valid style.

Gary

Edited by Gillman

I'm about 1/2 way through my first bottle and I'm enjoying it. Something different that's easy to drink. It's not on the same leve,l but it somewhat reminds me of MWND. I'll pick up another bottle when I'm done with this one.

This is one of my go-to whiskies (the Canadian Dark Horse version, anyway). Definitely easy-drinking.

I bought a bottle of this yesterday. The sherry gives it a very sweet dessert like finish. The rye notes are there with a spice bite. Most Canadian Whiskies in general are dominated by maple syrup and vanilla notes; not this one. It's good, not great, but for the price definitely worth buying a bottle.

I bought a bottle of this yesterday. The sherry gives it a very sweet dessert like finish. The rye notes are there with a spice bite. Most Canadian Whiskies in general are dominated by maple syrup and vanilla notes; not this one. It's good, not great, but for the price definitely worth buying a bottle.

Thanks Wade. Based on this (as well as Gary's impressions), I'm looking for this!

I finally managed to track one of these down during the Sampler activities. I saw it briefly on the Gazebo table but when I went back to look for it I could not find it. And I never saw it again! Will add it to the rotation at some point.

I have one of these in the downstairs bunker but it will be some time before I have empty space upstairs to bring anything new up.

I managed to squeeze this one in for a taste last night amongst a whole lot of other stuff. Need some more time with it but the initial impression was very positive. That 1% of sherry really seems to stick out not so much with red fruit flavors as it does with a nice nutty addition to the finish.

Yeah, I tried this last night and I have to say that it is very sherry forward. I enjoyed it.

Looked for this again today. No sightings (at least for me in the local LB's). If anyone has seen this in Lexington, I'd appreciate it if you'd shoot me a PM.

Grabbed one yesterday, not sure I'm digging the Sherry notes and the sweetness, but the spicyness mid palate is enjoyable. Doubt I'll buy a second, but only had one glass, we'll see how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked one up for $25 and I really like it for the price. It is quite dark. Are they permitted to add color?

Picked one up for $25 and I really like it for the price. It is quite dark. Are they permitted to add color?

Oh yes, it is certainly adulterated with caramel colour, as most Canadian whiskies are.

Yes and protestations to the contrary notwithstanding I can't taste the added coloring that's commonly used nor do I believe those who say they can could tell a difference blindfolded.

Yes and protestations to the contrary notwithstanding I can't taste the added coloring that's commonly used nor do I believe those who say they can could tell a difference blindfolded.

Yeah it's hokum but as whisky marketing goes rather benign hokum.

Edited by squire

• 2 weeks later...

Finally, we have landfall in Lexington. I picked one up today (monger said it arrived sometime last week). I look forward to investigating...:grin:

Had my first go tonight. The sherry is most forward on the nose and initial taste/impression. Mouth feel is moderate, with sherry still standing out in my nose and on palate. But, once I swallowed... wow, very nicely balanced, with a good fair finish. Fair spice, good rye and bourbon influence subtle, but present. Finish definitely picked up on some big rich, ripe fruity notes (prune).

I'm a fan of Canadian rye, and this is a winner in my book for $29 and change...

Had my first go tonight. The sherry is most forward on the nose and initial taste/impression. Mouth feel is moderate, with sherry still standing out in my nose and on palate. But, once I swallowed... wow, very nicely balanced, with a good fair finish. Fair spice, good rye and bourbon influence subtle, but present. Finish definitely picked up on some big rich, ripe fruity notes (prune).

I'm a fan of Canadian rye, and this is a winner in my book for $29 and change...

Good notes!

Gary

None yet in Arizona, but we are behind on lots of things... I still see the Goth kids every now and then, rather humorous when the temps climb into the 100's. :slappin:

Opened mine up since the only Rye I have open right now is the templeton triple vatting in the fridge I haven't touched in weeks.

This is interesting. I don't think I have ever had sherry and (thankfully) this isn't as sweet as I was expecting from some of the tasting notes I have read here and other places. I doubt I will have another pour tonight but this will be a nice change of pace every now and then.

Edit to add: I think I might try a vatting of this with something else for kicks, but not sure yet what to try it with first. I also need more pints or half pints I can use for vatting as the only two I have are currently being used for OWA/W12 and OWA/WSR vattings.

Edited by fozzy71

Opened mine up since the only Rye I have open right now is the templeton triple vatting in the fridge I haven't touched in weeks.

This is interesting. I don't think I have ever had sherry and (thankfully) this isn't as sweet as I was expecting from some of the tasting notes I have read here and other places. I doubt I will have another pour tonight but this will be a nice change of pace every now and then.

Edit to add: I think I might try a vatting of this with something else for kicks, but not sure yet what to try it with first. I also need more pints or half pints I can use for vatting as the only two I have are currently being used for OWA/W12 and OWA/WSR vattings.

Try it with the Templeton triple vatting, maybe 1:1 or 2:1 Templeton to the other. You can't lose...

Gary

Try it with the Templeton triple vatting, maybe 1:1 or 2:1 Templeton to the other. You can't lose...

Gary

This is interesting. I don't think I have ever had sherry and (thankfully) this isn't as sweet as I was expecting...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.