BOTM 4/15: George Dickel No. 12

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 6/16/2017 at 4:06 AM, musekatcher said:

No "vitamin" for me either?  If you don't like corn, you won't like Dickel.  And what is bourbon without corn?  Corn, rye, barley, oak and water - where pray-tell, would this mysterious "vitamin" flavor come from exactly?  I don't know who started that, but its confusing to see it persist. 

It comes from the yeast and one is either genetically predisposed to taste it or isn't. I am one who tastes it and unlike Joe, I don't like it. Consider yourself lucky you are one who doesn't taste it.

Dickel 12 was the stuff that turned me
onto sour mash a few years ago. I am
always buying and trying
new stuff, I keep a bottle of the barrel select on hand. I dont get the vitamin note that a lot of people mention but
my palette isn't as advanced. I have a bottle of the 17 year as well but haven't cracked it yet. 

I was under the impression just about every major whiskey was sour mash, regardless of whether they talked about it on the label, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/18/2017 at 11:41 PM, flahute said:

It comes from the yeast and one is either genetically predisposed to taste it or isn't. I am one who tastes it and unlike Joe, I don't like it. Consider yourself lucky you are one who doesn't taste it.

OK, I used this challenge as an excuse to buy *another* bottle of whisky to hopefully enjoy.  I picked up a store hand-selected barrel bottle of George Dickel Select 9 yr. 103 proof.  I was half way thru a bottle of RR10 before diverting to the GDS.  In instant contrast, the GDS was instantly sweeter smelling and sweeter tasting, with the sweetness lingering much longer.  I'd say this tastes like a very intense GD12, thicker and richer.  I'm reminded just how smooth Tennessee Whisky can be.  Plenty of legs - There might be a cane syrup or sorghum hint - no, make that a sweet corn flavor, reminiscent of creamed corn like we used to "put up" in the Summers.  Corn - maybe that's it?  Creamed corn - corn plus sugar.  Maybe its residual sugar I sense?  It just so happens, the coating used on tablets, medication, Advil and....vitamins is corn starch and sugar.  And Dickel's mashbill is uniquely high in corn.  Could it be?  I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed with this whisky, wondering why I avoided this brand till now.   Back to this luscious pour, that may warrant a second pour before the night is over. 

1 hour ago, musekatcher said:

OK, I used this challenge as an excuse to buy *another* bottle of whisky to hopefully enjoy.  I picked up a store hand-selected barrel bottle of George Dickel Select 9 yr. 103 proof.  I was half way thru a bottle of RR10 before diverting to the GDS.  In instant contrast, the GDS was instantly sweeter smelling and sweeter tasting, with the sweetness lingering much longer.  I'd say this tastes like a very intense GD12, thicker and richer.  I'm reminded just how smooth Tennessee Whisky can be.  Plenty of legs - There might be a cane syrup or sorghum hint - no, make that a sweet corn flavor, reminiscent of creamed corn like we used to "put up" in the Summers.  Corn - maybe that's it?  Creamed corn - corn plus sugar.  Maybe its residual sugar I sense?  It just so happens, the coating used on tablets, medication, Advil and....vitamins is corn starch and sugar.  And Dickel's mashbill is uniquely high in corn.  Could it be?  I'm pleasantly surprised and impressed with this whisky, wondering why I avoided this brand till now.   Back to this luscious pour, that may warrant a second pour before the night is over. 

Joining you on that. Just poured one after the ball game finished up. Glad to see a couple other Dickel fans around. A distillery tour is on my list. 

Add me to the list of GD fans.  I had a pour of GD Select 9 yr. last weekend and once again really enjoyed it.  It's definitely one of my favorites.

The only vitamin that I can taste is vitamin B. (And oh does it smell). Early methods of extracting vitamin B used acid and yeast with water boiled? I have no idea why some taste vitamins in whiskey but except for the acid, yeast might be the culprit. Interesting conversation.

GD definitely has a unique flavor. I think the high corn content along with the yeast are probably what gives it that flavor. It's a flavor that I have to be in the mood for, but when I am, GD No12 is amazingly good stuff for the money. The unique "vitamin" flavor as some call it is less pronounced to almost nonexistent in older GD selections, for those that are put off by this flavor. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.