TN whiskey vs. Bourbon

Dave_in_Canada
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Mark and I detected, as have others, the presence of those unmistakable Bedrock flavors in Bob's bottle of No. 12 during our tasting this past weekend.

Yeah, I have to admit in the nose I do detect that flinstone vitamin aroma. Not as much at all in the flavor to me, but it was definately there for me in the nose. weird...

I had a pour of Dickle after the NY crew's get together last weekend. It was the first I'd had of the TN whisky in awhile, and I was suprised at the numerous comments posted here regarding the vitamin component. Then Mark and Cliff tried it last weekend and they agreed that they observed it as well. So, I poured myself a generous amount one evening, and sniffed and sniffed, tasted and tasted, but I still did not smell, or taste any vitamins. Lucky me, because I think Dickle is a very decent pour.

Bob

Honestly I WISH I could taste that, if you guys actually found the FLinstones variety, and not Jeffs moldy WalMart vitamins. I remember Flintstones vitamins tasting good (mmmmmm fruity!) as a kid!

TomC

To further obsfrucate this issue, how about a little of the Free Trade Area of the Americas Draft Agreement

[15.1. Parties shall recognize Bourbon Whiskey and Tennessee Whiskey, <font color="brown"> which is a straight Bourbon Whisky authorized to be produced only in the State of Tennessee, </font> as distinctive products of the United States. Accordingly, Parties shall not permit the sale of any product as Bourbon Whiskey or Tennessee Whiskey, unless it has been manufactured in the United States in accordance with the laws and regulations of the United States governing the manufacture of Bourbon Whiskey and Tennessee Whiskey.]

From Here

Do we have more evidence for than against Tennessee whiskey being Bourbon at this point? I've lost count. confused.gif

<font color="red"> Good God Give Pat Metheny Some </font>

Rather than obfuscate, I think that pretty much clears that up, at least from a legal standpoint. It states pretty plainly that Tennessee whiskey "is a straight bourbon...". That neither the folks in TN or KY want to call it that is sort of beside the point.

At any rate , for me this is another thing that makes Bourbon so fascinating, besides of course a drink of it. I still have a hunt going for info that supports the other side of this.

The upshot being that a ruling in a lawsuit said Jack Daniels wasn't Bourbon and Reagor Motlow used that to his advantage, and began the full out marketing of Jack Daniels as a Tennessee Whiskey. When I get the documentation I'll post it.

<font color="green"> Good God Give Pat Martino Some </font>

last night at the local liquor store they have shelved a Jack Daniel's version I had never seen before. It was called "Jack Daniels Gold Medal 1915"...it came in a bottle shaped like the single barrel and was in a box that matched the bottle label. sold for 36 bucks. is this just new to our area or is this a new product entirely? anyone know how its taste profile may differ?

The Gold Medal bottle is just another series of bottles JD is doing. There is supposed to be 7 in total eventually, the 1915 being the 5th. I dont have pics of all 5 next to one another but you can see all 5 in a pic on my website... here's the pic here:

post-87-14489811333419_thumb.jpg

JD is always releasing specialty bottles, it seems. Currently, for example, in a "Tennessee only" issue, are 750 ml bottles with a scene from tiny Lynchburg (pop. 361), where the distillery is. It is a statue of Jack Daniel, which stands in front of the property. Reportedly, there will be four other bottles, issued at 8-12-month intervals. The bottles are clear glass, with the images and letters embossed with gold piping. It brings about a 25% premium over the regular 750 ml Black #7, which is what it contains. Will post a pic when I finally get around to buying one. They aren't exactly flying of the shelf of the store where I work (because of the premium, I guess), so I figure I'll wait until the next one is issued (February, by latest report) or we look like running out.

Just ran an internet search to see if I could find a pic of the current Tennessee-only JD bottle, and discovered the series, "Scenes from Lynchburg" is being distributed in Europe to. So, perhaps, the Tennessee-only designation is only for domestic consumption. Without a local bottle at hand to refer to, I can only report that it is very similar (the same scene, anyway). Here's the web page, which shows the remainder of the series, too, for anyone who's interested:

Scenes From Lynchburg

post-367-1448981133367_thumb.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.