Blanton's straight from the Barrel...

JvW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good Morning Everyone,

My brother in Germany is getting me a bottle of Blanton's straight from the barrel, which I understand is not available on the US market. Does anybody have a better idea of why that is (I did a little research on the inter web and found possible contract limitations) and what is the opinion of people who have tried it (I am a fan of the Original). Thanks

Regards,

Jan

Lucky You!!! Nobody I've heard from has a bad thing to say about BSFTB. Other than the price that is.

I'm sure you'll just adore it. Save me a sip........

That's funny I just posted in the General Bourbon forum that this was an expensive bottle I regretted buying. I ended up pouring it out..just too sickly sweet for me. However I think that is just me. I think other than some of the older Stagg's I don't like BT's rye mashbills.

argh, nevermind, was linking to weller_tex's post in the other thread but he got it in here too.

I believe it is Age International's decision not to sell this in the US. Why I don't know. I have had two bottles of this. One was incredible, the other just OK. That's how it sometimes goes with Single Barrels.

argh, nevermind, was linking to weller_tex's post in the other thread but he got it in here too.

Sorry dcbt I was too quick..but the irony was too much to ignore.

I got to try my first pour of BSFTB at the Gazebo this past weekend and it was fantastic. I'd grab a bottle, or 3, in a heartbeat if I ever come across it while traveling.

Had a friend trying to track one down for me last week. He couldn't find anywhere nearby his hotel in Tokyo (don't ask me where), or near his folks' place in Chiba or in Duty Free at Narita. He'll try again when he's back in June, but if anybody has hints as to where he might look, I'd appreciate it.

Since regular Blanton's is hit and miss here in the states, I suppose it's possible that there's shortages of SFTB, as well...

Had a friend trying to track one down for me last week. He couldn't find anywhere nearby his hotel in Tokyo (don't ask me where), or near his folks' place in Chiba or in Duty Free at Narita. He'll try again when he's back in June, but if anybody has hints as to where he might look, I'd appreciate it.

Since regular Blanton's is hit and miss here in the states, I suppose it's possible that there's shortages of SFTB, as well...

You should have your friend be on the lookout for age stated Turkey.

Don't really dig the Turkey. Besides, he travels light, 1 bottle is about all he can manage to bring back...

I do not have insight into why they don't sell it in the US, but it is a fantastic bourbon. If you like Blanton's, SFTB is a powerful technicolor rendition, albeit slightly rough around the edges (a few drops of water fixes that). It's pretty available in Tokyo; not at every liquor store, or at every store that sells other Blanton's varieties, but I would not say there is a shortage.

I am surprised that with the relatively recent push for more and more barrel proof bourbons that age international hasn't started bringing this (back) into the states.

I really enjoy the bottle, a great BP that I reach for a lot. Just wish it was easier and less expensive to get

I do not have insight into why they don't sell it in the US, but it is a fantastic bourbon. If you like Blanton's, SFTB is a powerful technicolor rendition, albeit slightly rough around the edges (a few drops of water fixes that). It's pretty available in Tokyo; not at every liquor store, or at every store that sells other Blanton's varieties, but I would not say there is a shortage.

From my experience just last month, it is not as available as it once was. I had to visit eight different stores just to track down three bottles. Granted I didn't know every hole in the wall honey hole there, it was much more plentiful last year when friends went to Tokyo and picked me up two bottles.

From my experience just last month, it is not as available as it once was. I had to visit eight different stores just to track down three bottles. Granted I didn't know every hole in the wall honey hole there, it was much more plentiful last year when friends went to Tokyo and picked me up two bottles.

HD335...if you don't want to share publicly, could you PM me your "best bets" so that I can pass them along to my friend? I swear I'm not looking to clear shelves, just 1 bottle.

Actually I just checked some Japanese online shops, and there does seem to be less on sale at the moment. The last time I checked was maybe two months ago, so it seems like a recent thing. Hopefully just temporary. Glad you managed to find a few bottles.

• 1 month later...

Just cracked mine to celebrate the Belmont Stakes. My favorite of Mash Bill No.2 Followed by AAA10yr Blanton's Gold.

Actually I just checked some Japanese online shops, and there does seem to be less on sale at the moment. The last time I checked was maybe two months ago, so it seems like a recent thing. Hopefully just temporary. Glad you managed to find a few bottles.

Leo, where in Japan are you? We're heading over (from Australia) in April next year, staying at Shinjuku and then down near Disney. I'm hoping to scout out a few liquor stores for Blanton's Black Label and Four Roses Platinum as well as a Blanton's Straight from the Barrel. Are there retail chains in Japan, or are they independently owned stores?

My wife did find a American themed bar in a hotel near where we are staying. Their web site shows it having many of these available to pour, so I'll probably try a few pours of things before I buy bottles. :)

Edited by camduncan

Cam, I am in Tokyo. Blanton's Black Label and FR Platinum should be fairly easy to find; at least, they are today. As discussed above, stocks of Blanton's SFTB are somewhat less reliable.

Tokyo has both chain liquor stores and independent liquor stores. Some of the electronics megastores (namely the larger "Bic Camera" shops) have also expanded into home goods such that they have liquor sections, which are not amazing overall but often have Blanton's Black Label and FR Platinum, as well as FR Black Label and Evan Williams 12 (in terms of Japan-only products).

If you are looking to taste before buying, you should plan to visit the shop "Liquors Hasegawa" underneath Tokyo Station, where for a few dollars per sample you can taste most of the whiskies they stock. (There are two branches under the station, but one focuses on spirits.) A good chain liquor shop in Tokyo is "Shinanoya" -- there is one in Shinjuku, in the Kabukicho area.

I am also happy to PM you some more specific shop/bar recommendations as your trip approaches.

Thanks for that Leo, that is great information. I might touch base early in the new year via PM.... cheers!

I picked up both the Blanton's Gold and STFB in St. Croix in 2014. Interestingly the Blanton's Gold was outstanding, while the SFTB was good but not what I was hoping for.

I picked up both the Blanton's Gold and STFB in St. Croix in 2014. Interestingly the Blanton's Gold was outstanding, while the SFTB was good but not what I was hoping for.

I would be interested to hear more details of your reactions to both the Gold and the SFTB, and also your comparative feelings about regular Blanton's (if you've tried it).

I have only had the Gold once, at a bar, and while I didn't think it was bad, it didn't really seem different from regular Blanton's, which was unimpressive given the elevated price of the Gold.

I would be interested to hear more details of your reactions to both the Gold and the SFTB, and also your comparative feelings about regular Blanton's (if you've tried it).

I have only had the Gold once, at a bar, and while I didn't think it was bad, it didn't really seem different from regular Blanton's, which was unimpressive given the elevated price of the Gold.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be in Copenhagen in August and hope to find either the Blantons Gold or the SFTB to take home. Has anyone seen either of these in Denmark and if yes, a rough idea of what I could expect to pay for them? I love the regular Blantons and am hoping I can find one of these for my collection.

• 2 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.