Blanton's straight from the Barrel...

JvW
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I tried a sample of SFTB from a friend's bottle, and it had a really strange chemically off note to it, like rubber cement. Maybe a bad barrel? I think the bottle was from 2012.

This thread has considerably reduced my sourness over not being able to buy SFTB, and for that I am grateful.

I just got some of these for the first time in years. It may not be for everyone but I am very happy with the bottle I tried tonight.

I tried a sample of SFTB from a friend's bottle, and it had a really strange chemically off note to it, like rubber cement. Maybe a bad barrel? I think the bottle was from 2012.

I picked up a Japanese bottle that is from 2006. The bottle smelled kind of funky and musty and the cork was pretty wet, so it may not have been stored properly. To me the funk seems to have carried over to the whiskey. I'd like to try a different bottle because I've always heard great things about this, but my bottle is not good.

Some of these notes aren't endearing me to wanting to find a bottle in Japan next year.... Might be taking it off my 'A' list and putting it onto my 'B' list of desired finds as I don't like the funky musty description...

Some of these notes aren't endearing me to wanting to find a bottle in Japan next year.... Might be taking it off my 'A' list and putting it onto my 'B' list of desired finds as I don't like the funky musty description...

I wouldn't be put off Cam. I think the funky/musty is an outlier.

I wouldn't let a few anecdotal stories move it to your "B" list. In my opinion, its the best currently available bourbon in Japan.

I've never had a bad bottle of this stuff.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I bought this one in January from Vienna, Austria. It's 128.5 proof or 64.25% abv. I hope i'll uncork this by the end of the summer and share my impressions. 

Is this coming to the US? K&L has this on their website listed as coming soon. It's $99.99 and there is a three bottle limit. I haven't heard about this getting a US release anywhere, it just popped up. 

Hmm, they have Blanton's Gold listed as coming soon now as well. Interesting. 

14 hours ago, NightCru said:

Hmm, they have Blanton's Gold listed as coming soon now as well. Interesting. 

I saw this as well. I haven't heard anything about either the SFTB or the Gold coming to the US, so maybe K&L picked a cask of Blanton's and convinced BT to bottle it as CS? The other possibility is that this will disappear from the coming soon list but not actually come into stock, never to be seen again...

28 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I saw this as well. I haven't heard anything about either the SFTB or the Gold coming to the US, so maybe K&L picked a cask of Blanton's and convinced BT to bottle it as CS? The other possibility is that this will disappear from the coming soon list but not actually come into stock, never to be seen again...

K&L has a lot of stuff always listed as "coming soon" that they will never have.  Weller Centennial, 17 and 18 YO Jefferson's, Old Rip, BTAC, etc.

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

K&L has a lot of stuff always listed as "coming soon" that they will never have.  Weller Centennial, 17 and 18 YO Jefferson's, Old Rip, BTAC, etc.

But the SFTB and Gold are showing in the Coming Soon feed for actual coming soon products, not just what is out of stock (but still listed as coming soon).  It looks like they have also added a description for each so they are updating it.  The pricing seems off, $99.99 for the SFTB and $100 for Gold.  I would imagine that's likely to be updated too.  Kpiz could be right that this will end up being nothing but it seems odd to add the entry into the system if they are not anticipating something coming in to stock.

2 hours ago, NightCru said:

But the SFTB and Gold are showing in the Coming Soon feed for actual coming soon products, not just what is out of stock (but still listed as coming soon).  It looks like they have also added a description for each so they are updating it.  The pricing seems off, $99.99 for the SFTB and $100 for Gold.  I would imagine that's likely to be updated too.  Kpiz could be right that this will end up being nothing but it seems odd to add the entry into the system if they are not anticipating something coming in to stock.

I agree, it's odd. I'm just keeping my expectations tempered since occasionally K&L acts as the retail middleman for some interesting bottlings that are destined to land in the hands of a specific group rather than released to all customers. Some of the recent Brandy Bros casks come to mind.

Now in stock. I just ordered my bottle of the SFTB.  I've always wanted to try this one, I'm glad I can do it without having to pay for the overseas shipping!

4 hours ago, NightCru said:

I obviously stand corrected!

And the tour guide at BT yesterday said it wasn't going to be released in the US.

19 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

And the tour guide at BT yesterday said it wasn't going to be released in the US.

Thanks for confirming. The K&L blog insinuates they found a cache of it somewhere. I love the title of the post: "Don't Ask How, Just Enjoy..."

• 1 month later...

Hi. I just opened a bottle of this beast. Bottled at 128,5 proof on 9/Feb/15. Too bad you folks in USA can't purchase it in your stores. My impressions:

Appearance: Dark copper in the glass, but not as dark as I expected. It has legs when you swirl it in the glass, it's NAS, but I suppose its been aged for more than 8 years.

Nose: Explosion of classic bourbon scents. I even detected barbecued liver.

Palate: Highly tongue coating liquid. Liquid chocolate, with quite an alcohol bite.

Finish: Longest ever experienced.

Highly recommended, if you ever travel to Europe, please search for a bottle. I purchased mine in Vienna.

Cheers!

Went to a corn boil with the family yesterday. My nieces husband, Mike and I took some time to chat about bourbon. He sent me a text later. He acquired a Blanton''s SFTB. He said the next time we get together, he might have to crack it open.  :D 

Cheers! Joe

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Went to a corn boil with the family yesterday.

Corn boil?  Sounds like an unfortunate foot condition.

• 3 months later...

Is anyone aware of statements from BT or even rumors as to how old the SFTB whiskey tends to be? The bottle I have was dumped in September 2016, but no idea when it was put in the barrel, so not too helpful on that front.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.