Buying a used barrel near Washington, DC?

dmarkle
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've done a bit of looking around the Internet, but it seems to be hard to find a place near-ish to me where I could pick up a whole used bourbon-sized barrel. I know Home Depot has half-barrel planters, but I'm looking for a full barrel for my back porch. Does anyone know a place that has a reasonably priced option? I took a peek at Wasmund's and Catoctin Creek's site, but no luck. I sent a note to Bowman, but no response.

What do you consider reasonably priced?

Good question. I just mean not marked up like crazy... I really don't know what the market is....

The market for Bourbon barrels is crazy right now since individuals and companies both want them for numerous reasons/uses. I don't know if they still do, but JD used to sell used barrels on their website. Check there to get an idea on current pricing at retail.

If you have been able to cultivate a good relationship with a local liquor retailer in your area that happens to do their own private barrel selections, you might ask them. Typically, the barrel is shipped along with the bottles, so maybe they would be willing to part with one.

• 2 weeks later...

Bowman's sells theirs for $100 but good luck getting one nowadays. Brewers and wineries are taking almost all of them now. About twice a year they'll have 3-4 to sell to the public but its first come fist served and you never know when they will have them

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.