Is anyone into Corn Whiskey? I need a few suggestions.

johnnyflake45
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It seems that I see more and more and more Corn Whiskey, on the shelves now days than ever before. I have never tried it, but I must assume from what I am seeing that there is a market for it. Are any of you into it, familiar with it? I really feel the need to try it out, but I would love some suggestions and comments from those of you with some experience. First off, I notice that the proofs seem to easily be in the 100, 110s & 120s. I don't usually drink high proofs that much.

Are there any you can recommend for a newbie to Corn Whiskey?

Mellow Corn BIB. Many of the new items on the market will be more expensive, and less reliably consistent. Where it is sold, it is often available in smaller bottles (at least in 375 mL) so it would be an inexpensive venture. I don't go to corn often, but when I do - I like Mellow Corn BIB.

• I like it 1

+1 for Mellow Corn. It's a good pour for when you don't want to think about what youre drinking. I think I paid $15 or less for a liter last time I bought it.

Another good one is Glen Thunder corn whisky from Finger Lakes Distilling. It is a true unaged corn whiskey, not the fake "moonshine/sugar shine" sold in mason jars. I don't know how extensive their distribution is yet so it may not be in Nevada yet.

• I like it 1

Another vote for MC here. Most white liquor on the shelves now is watered down, overpriced, overhyped, horse piss.

• I like it 1

After Gary introduced me to MC at the Sampler last year, I'll throw my vote in for it too.

I haven't tried MC yet but George Dickel #1 is good. I've only tried a few corn whiskeys and found most to be harsh and musty.

Mellow corn is good. Not complex of course but good tasting. It's cheap and as an added bonus, it has a cool old school label.

Okay guys, when I decide to pull the trigger on one, it'll be Mellow Corn.

Okay guys, when I decide to pull the trigger on one, it'll be Mellow Corn.

Yes, Mellow Corn is the right answer. If you can find Platte Valley, it's not too bad either. Basically MC at a lower proof.

Another vote for MC. One thing to keep in mind is not all "moonshine" labeled bottles/jars are actually corn whiskey.

Read Mr. Chucks most recent blog on it.

In fact, very few 'moonshine' products are corn whiskey and the best corn whiskey is marketed as corn whiskey, not moonshine. Another vote here for Mellow Corn BIB and also Glen Thunder.

Mellow Corn just won Whisky Magazine's award for Best Non-Bourbon American Whiskey 2015. Here is the web page.

In fact, very few 'moonshine' products are corn whiskey and the best corn whiskey is marketed as corn whiskey, not moonshine. Another vote here for Mellow Corn BIB and also Glen Thunder.

Can't get enough of Mellow Corn and Dixie Dew. I had both last night and thoroughly enjoy them every time. My buddies think I'm nuts, particularly after they see the $10.99 price tag on the DD but they don't know what they're missing!

I'll put in another vote for Mellow Corn. If nothing else, it's an inexpensive and instructive pour. It'll be interesting to see what happens when it goes from DSP-KY-354 to DSP-KY-1 distillate.

I'm hoping to pick up some Mellow Corn in New Zealand later in the year. For some reason it doesn't seem to make it into Australia at retail, just a few bars here and there, so I'm stuck paying $12 a 30ml pour whenever the desire to drink corn whiskey strikes :)

Mellow Corn is a good easy sipper. I put it in the fridge in the summer along side HH BIB. Also, try it in a bloody mary if you are inclined to drink them.

**as a side note, I buy it at TPS for $19.99, and that's the family sized bottle, which may be the all time great value in whiskeydom.

Edited by Phil T

The only commercial corn whiskey ive had that even tastes close to real corn whiskey is Tim Smiths Climax Moonshine. I dont care for rye being used in whiskey so even that isnt fantastic to me. I much more prefer wheated whiskeys to rye even in boursons. I do not like rye whiskey at all.

One of my bigger local stores had bottles of this. Sounds like I should give it a try after my self imposed buying hiatus is over.

IMO Climax can't compare with Mellow Corn, just way too one dimensional.

Picked up a bottle of MC, and GD1. Cracked open and enjoyed the MC last night.

I'd be curious to hear what you think about the GD1 when you open it up. I've been eying a bottle myself!

What does the GD1 stand for? I am having a hard time finding MC in my area. There are dozens of other brands though!

What does the GD1 stand for? I am having a hard time finding MC in my area. There are dozens of other brands though!

George Dickel No. 1. An unaged version of the No. 9 and 12. My first corn whiskey that I liked. Haven't tried MC yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.