Is anyone into Corn Whiskey? I need a few suggestions.

johnnyflake45
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I noticed a new mega-liquor store in town had both MC 31/31 and 354/31. I have some old 31/31 from the 90s which I really like but was surprised to see 31/31 in a new store. Any ideas on this?

Enoch, Isn't 31 the distillery in Bardstown that burned down, but the bottling area was ok, still in use?  I think 31/31 must be old inventory.  HH only bottles there now, right?

I've never seen any corn whiskey in these parts. If I did see Mellow Corn, I'd be likely to take a chance on it.

18 hours ago, PaulO said:

Enoch, Isn't 31 the distillery in Bardstown that burned down, but the bottling area was ok, still in use?  I think 31/31 must be old inventory.  HH only bottles there now, right?

Since this is a new store I am just curious where they would get the old inventory. I have several bottles of old inventory 31/31 and it is far superior to the 354/31 (IMHO). I wouldn't mind picking up more but I'm a little concerned because it is a new store.

A new store opened up in Greenwood maybe a couple years ago.  After they had been open, some not too old dusties started showing up.  I saw some paper label 7 year Weller SR, and some paper label Old Forester 86.  I think the new store bought out an old store nearby that closed.  Also an employee of the new store told me they have their own warehouse.   Maybe stuff got buried or temorarily lost, moved from one store to another...

Yes Steve, give MC BIB a try when you get a chance. ;)

Edited by PaulO

• 4 months later...

Being in a liquor controlled state really sucks.  Ive had a case of MC on order for three weeks.   My local ABC guys are cooperative, but the process is cumbersome and not very efficient. Thankfully my job allows me to travel all around the country, expanding my hunt beyond NC.

Finally got some MC in from local abc store here in NC.  I really like this stuff.  Its not a sipper, but I enjoyed it with ginger ale! great buy at less than 12.00

• 8 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

A shout-out to Balcones True Blue.   A late, lamented bottle that I've never been able to find again.   I'm no expert on corn whiskey, but this was one cracker of a dram.   

14 hours ago, Jazzhead said:

A shout-out to Balcones True Blue.   A late, lamented bottle that I've never been able to find again.   I'm no expert on corn whiskey, but this was one cracker of a dram.   

I'm a huge fan, but it tastes completely different from something like MC. I used to think that it is the "blue" part that gives the unique character, but I get similar notes from their entire lineup, including the rums, so it must be something else in the process. I still have a sealed 100 and a True Blue back from the Chip Tate era. Do you guys know if the quality changed after that?

And Baby Blue started to show up in stores in spades here lately. I'm pondering picking up a few just in case, based on past experience once it's gone it takes a long time to spot one again.

• 3 months later...

Binny's sent a case of Mellow Corn to the location nearest me, and I was finally able to try it. It's nice, not complex by any means but it isn't supposed to be. In a world of whiskeys that wear suits, this one wears jeans and a flannel shirt. (Bonus: there are whiskeys I have that I purchased but don't care for as much; a tiny bit of MC added to them takes the edge off and greatly improves things. I suspect that corn whiskey was a key element in the blends of straight whiskeys that were sold everywhere from the end of Prohibition until probably the 1960s.) 

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...

Great corn whiskey for the summer. MC was a hit at a 4th cookout last year,  playing cornhole, sipping Mellow Corn and classic southern rock on the speakers.

• 3 months later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.