Is anyone into Corn Whiskey? I need a few suggestions.

johnnyflake45
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Just grabbed a 750 of MC for $10.99. Going to do an "American Whiskey" 101 for some friends. It will be an all HH BIB lineup w Ritt, Old Fitz, JTS Brown and MC. Proof and age are equal so hopefully they can appreciate the mashbill differences.

Ugh. I saw Platte Valley on the shelf a couple days ago and it had the word MOONSHINE in all caps under the cartoon hillbilly.

Finally found some Mellow Corn. A local shop just got it in, so I tagged two at $11.99 ea. + tax. Now, I need to give it a try, but I have so much open right now!

Thanks guys!

Finally found some Mellow Corn. A local shop just got it in, so I tagged two at $11.99 ea. + tax. Now, I need to give it a try, but I have so much open right now!

Thanks guys!

I finally found a bottle of mellow corn. Didn't care for it neat - tasted like a very young EC12 to me, strangely enough. Should work just fine in a highball though.

• 1 month later...

I like Mellow Corn as well as Virginia Lightining (un aged and very sweet) and JW Corn - aged longer than MC and darker. Have not tried Georgia Moon or Platte Valley.

I finally found a bottle of mellow corn. Didn't care for it neat - tasted like a very young EC12 to me, strangely enough. Should work just fine in a highball though.

I found that Mellow Corn worked fine as a mixer. If you want to taste a fine corn whiskey, then I highly recommend Balcones Baby Blue. The rich popcorn flavor is awesome.

Maybe expectations come in to play. Mellow Corn is certainly not terribly complex but I find its flavor remarkably satisfying. Using it as a mixer, at least for me, would be to miss out on its relatively subtle but undeniable charm.

Maybe expectations come in to play. Mellow Corn is certainly not terribly complex but I find its flavor remarkably satisfying. Using it as a mixer, at least for me, would be to miss out on its relatively subtle but undeniable charm.

I so agree, Hank. Though,my Mellow Corn and Dixie Dew are my Liquors of choice for my occasional Bloody Mary, I prefer these primarily standing on their own. I understand the expectations part, as we've discussed in my new experience with cognacs and armagnacs. You gotta get yer mind right, goin' in! :D. It ain't bourbon, and it ain't white dog, either. It's its own thang. Wonderfully sippable, and yes, "charm" is a great way to describe what they offer.

Edited by smokinjoe

I so agree, Hank. Though,my Mellow Corn and Dixie Dew are my Liquors of choice for my occasional Bloody Mary, I prefer these primarily standing on their own. I understand the expectations part, as we've discussed in my new experience with cognacs and armagnacs. You gotta get yer mind right, goin' in! :D. It ain't bourbon, and it ain't white dog, either. It's its own thang. Wonderfully sippable, and yes, "charm" is a great way to describe what they offer.

Great minds thinking alike, once again! Never thought of using those two in a Bloody Mary. That'll have to happen on July 5th after the big barbecue.

Great minds thinking alike, once again! Never thought of using those two in a Bloody Mary. That'll have to happen on July 5th after the big barbecue.

That's us, Hank! :icon_pidu:

Oh, it's great with corn whiskey. Really gives a Bloody Mary tons more body. Perfect that you're going to the BBQ. Drop a slice of pork in there in lieu of bacon! A couple of slices of bacon is awesome in a Bloody Mary, too! :yum:

Heck, throw in some corn and whatever else you can find at the BBQ, and end up with a spiked Brunswick Stew! :lol:

Barrelhouse distillery in Lexington Kentucky makes devil John moonshine. It is double run through a small copper pot still , and is as close to what I grew up drinking as any I have tasted so far. They also make vodka out of their corn liquor it was very good as well. They are the distillery that we had just left when we got rear ended in Frankfort. As for the likes of ole Smokey, and Sloonshine they taste like watered down PGA, that is why they have to flavor them so they will be palatable

By the way Hank, does your Dixie Dew have the Confederate Battle Flag on the front label? HH removed it some years back, but I think you've had yours for a while .

Hey Joe. I have indeed had those bottles for the few years now but no confederate flags on them. Need a stiff pour after watching my son's do or die playoff game. He was the starting pitcher and pitched three scoreless innings, winning the game and advancing his team to the championship. Nerve racking as hell but fun in the end. Yahoo!!!

Hey Joe. I have indeed had those bottles for the few years now but no confederate flags on them. Need a stiff pour after watching my son's do or die playoff game. He was the starting pitcher and pitched three scoreless innings, winning the game and advancing his team to the championship. Nerve racking as hell but fun in the end. Yahoo!!!

Barrelhouse distillery in Lexington Kentucky makes devil John moonshine. It is double run through a small copper pot still , and is as close to what I grew up drinking as any I have tasted so far. They also make vodka out of their corn liquor it was very good as well. They are the distillery that we had just left when we got rear ended in Frankfort. As for the likes of ole Smokey, and Sloonshine they taste like watered down PGA, that is why they have to flavor them so they will be palatable

i am not sure whether the "flavoring" makes any difference!

Hidden

Thanks, Joe. Lost a tough one last night 20-17 to end the season after battling back from a 20-10 deficit in the bottom of the sixth (they only play six innings). My boy Oliver hit a bases loaded double with one out to get us to 17 but the next two kids hit bullets to short and were thrown out at first to kill the rally. Never saw so many 11 years olds crying at once which was really heartbreaking. The real bummer of it all was that the boys had to play five consecutive days to make up for rain outs, winning four playoff games in a row but thereby eliminating my son's ability to pitch in the championship game due to strict pitch count rules in place to "protect" the kids' arms, while the other team had three days rest and no such limitations. We begged the league to give us one day's rest so that we could play tonight with him on the mound but the a**holes wouldn't budge. I hate to be a sore loser but you'd think they'd want everyone rested and able to pitch in the championship game!! Nothing I could do but come home and pour another stiff Mellow Corn and stargaze out on the deck.

Awesome! Congrats to you and your son! Power-ade only for him! :lol:

i am not sure whether the "flavoring" makes any difference!

For some reason, I don't tend to see MC on the shelves at the stores I frequent, but, of the corn whiskeys I have tried, I thought Virginia Lightning was the best of the bunch.

• 2 weeks later...

I like Virginia Lightning too taste to me is sweet crisp and refreshing.

• 2 weeks later...

I havent purchased any commercial shines simply because the shine I make is fantastic! Lol.

I have a mason jar of the real stuff made here in NWGA and yes it is totally different compared to what you can purchase legally. And I mean that in a good way.

I have a mason jar of the real stuff made here in NWGA and yes it is totally different compared to what you can purchase legally. And I mean that in a good way.

I've never had anything like that before. :skep: Well, maybe only once or twice. :rolleyes: Alright then, I've been there and done that. Okay???? :smiley_acbt: Sheeeeesh! :lol:

Cheers! Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.