BOTM 5/15: Jim Beam Bottled In Bond

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, it's that time again. :grin: I guess I can stop trying to forego new products for the BOTM. :rolleyes: (see my original post in the MMCS BOTM thread) There's already been some discussion about JB BIB on the boards. Reviews seem somewhat mixed, with more comments on the negative side.

I had a somewhat "interesting" experience with Beam White a long, long time ago, and that's mostly why I haven't been much of a Beam fan. After having read some comments on the boards by smokinjoe and others about Beam, and trying a couple of their products, that might be changing some now. We'll see. Time will tell. Anyway…..

As for JB BIB, I don't know what to think about this one. :skep: I bought a bottle just because of the price, and the fact that I like BIB's. I've tried this one a few times, and I just can't seem to get a handle on it. It somehow seems to taste a little different every time I try it. That's not a bad thing though. Over all, I'd have to say I like it. I won't post any nosing or tasting notes because of my inability to figure it out. :confused: However, and FWIW, I will say that I don't notice the "normal" Beam profile/yeastiness in the BIB near as much. I'm pretty sure I'll buy another bottle or two. :)

Cheers and happy posting! Joe

Agree with Joe a lot. I'm puzzled by this one.

My tasting notes, posted on the "Bonded Beam is Back" thread, are here - http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?23240-Bonded-Beam-is-back/page13. JB BIB seems to "fit" between the 86 proof JBB (extra aged, formerly Double Aged 8 Yrs) and the 100 proof KC (9 yrs). I'm not sure I need all three, but I can't really decide which one to drop, if any. After I finished my first (and so far only) JB BIB, I figured I'd not buy another for awhile as I already have "ample" JBB 8yrs and extra aged as well as some KC I bought on sale so don't really need more Beam branded products. Then, a couple of nights ago, I missed it. I can't figure out why I would miss it since, as I just said, I have plenty of similar Beam products on hand to supplement my non-Beam holdings which I tend to like better anyway.

Hence, the puzzlement - it's not outstanding, but it's not pedestrian; it's not typical Beam, but it's not un-Beam; it doesn't (to me) have any sharp edges like KC sometimes does, but it's not bland. I really look forward to comments by others on this.

FWIW, I find it over-priced. I like that Beam/Suntory has made the decision to support a BIB for their line. I appreciate that! So, I want to like it.

I also think that 100-proof is close to the right presentation for JB's mashbill and yeast. I do think it's still under-aged for the mashbill and yeast; but if one ages it another few years, you get another of JB's products, such as KC or JB-8. So, I guess it has it's niche. I just find it hard to pay $5 more for it than other BIB's that are as good, or maybe even better to my taste buddies.

I'm another that likes bonds. All the stores I see that have this want $25. Maybe I'll find an airline bottle or free store sample one day.

This will be my first BOTM I take part in. I'll have to go pick a bottle up.

I really like bonds so I'm hoping I enjoy this one.

I think this goes for $20 locally. Is that much? That's were OGD is. EWBIB AND OFBIB are $15. VOBBIB is $13.

$25 locally here, drinking the last 3 fingers of my first bottle tonight and I enjoyed it very much. I will be adding it to my bunker when I go on my next buying binge but (hopefully) that is a long way off as I have plenty bunkered to tide me over for quite a while.

This has become a favorite of mine. I like the Beam style anyway, but REALLY like the new JBBIB. It hasn't a fantastic mouthfeel and is the right combination of wood and sweetness. I also don't find any off notes at all, which I find at times in VOB BIB, and it doesn't have that sourdough bread taste I get sometimes in the HH BIBs I can get (JW Dant BIB and EW BIB).

I think JBBIB is a winner!

Picked up a bottle 19.99 before tax.

Haven't sampled it yet but the first thing I'm noticing is there is no dsp ky #. I thought that was common practice for a BIB?

Picked up a bottle 19.99 before tax.

Haven't sampled it yet but the first thing I'm noticing is there is no dsp ky #. I thought that was common practice for a BIB?

This has been discussed. It was an oversight and will likely be addressed on the next release.

I've had three bottles since it hit shelves and I thoroughly enjoy it. To me I don't pick up the "Beam funk" and it's only a few dollars more than most other BIB's whose price I expect will rising in the near future.

This has become a favorite of mine. I like the Beam style anyway, but REALLY like the new JBBIB. It hasn't a fantastic mouthfeel and is the right combination of wood and sweetness. I also don't find any off notes at all, which I find at times in VOB BIB, and it doesn't have that sourdough bread taste I get sometimes in the HH BIBs I can get (JW Dant BIB and EW BIB).

I think JBBIB is a winner!

Sorry too late to edit, but I mean it HAS a fantastic mouthfeel

This tastes pretty much like you might expect: a stronger version of JBW. Youthful, slightly bitter and rough around the edges. But with a satisfying mouth feel and of course the familiar Beam yeast. Not bad, not fantastic. Worth a try if you like the Beam profile as I do. I found that ice helps it out a bit. And it mingles well with JB Single Barrel which tastes great but is a little thin on mouth feel. If you are a fan of the Beam profile I think its worth having in the line up. As with most BIB's its decent but probably won't blow you away.

Edited by Merrymash Monk

I enjoy this more than the white or black label, and I think the pricing is consistent within the Beam lineup. It costs the same in my area as black label or Devil's Cut. I agree that it seems generally like a more robust white label. There was also a buttered popcorn smell to it that I didn't find in the others. This is going to be the one Beam branded whiskey I keep around.

I'm about a fourth of the way through my first fifth (sorry, had to :) ) and I think oxidation improves it a bit. It's picked up a nuttiness that I find enjoyable. Like JBW and JBB, it is rather lightweight in mouthfeel, an interesting and not unpleasant contrast to the heavier presence of KC or OGD BIB.

I wish this came in smaller bottles. I'd like to try it but don't want to spring for a whole 750.

The price continues to hold me back on this one, even when I go to purchase it.

Just in the past couple of weeks, I HAD to go with KC... on sale for $21 and change, I just couldn't pass up 9 years old and 100 proof.

I still haven't tried this one. I heartily support BiBs though.

I'm not a Beam hater. I find JBW respectable but not desirable. I think JBB is a bargain, but it can be a bit bland to me. I like KC quite a bit. I wonder how JBBiB compares to KC? Anyone done some side-by-side tastings?

This is the only one of the JB namesake bourbons that I've enjoyed. It has a bold, peppery quality that I also get in the OGD line and a nice, silky mouthfeel. On paper, this should just be 100-proof JBW but it's much better than any JBW or JBB I've had lately. It seems like they put some thought into this one and I commend Beam for the effort. I'll definitely buy another when this bottle is empty.

My initial notes are here: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?23240-Bonded-Beam-is-back/page11

My verdict is this is the White Label with much more body and heft. I like this product alot, however with Kirkland's still a couple of bucks cheaper and including a 7 year age statement, I won't be buying any more any time soon at the current price point. If they knock a couple more bucks off the price, I will reconsider.

Good morning! I purchased one shortly after it hit the shelves here in Tallahassee. Thought it was as others have mentioned before, Jim Beam White with more heat. I didn't enjoy this as much as I did the Kirkland 7-Year though. I guess I thought it was just "ok." May try it again soon. The 750 ml bottles at the ABC here in TLH, yesterday, was priced at $19.99.

I'm glad to see new BIB products hitting the market, and for that I tip my hat to them. I sampled it at a get together earlier this year, and was underwhelmed although that wasn't the best setting for a careful analysis. My dad gifted me a sample which I took on a business trip (already bottled to travel, eh!) and I did enjoy it more than I remembered.

I wish this came in smaller bottles. I'd like to try it but don't want to spring for a whole 750.

I'm with Andrew here. If I could pick this up in a 200 mL - I'd buy it to give it more thought, but don't want to mess with a whole 750 of it.

From what I could recall, it was unmistakably "Beam", which for me is a bit too round/soft for my preference - although it was definitely a move in the right direction. I think this and a JB Black would be an interest side by side.

Was excited to get my hands on this stuff and immediately popped it open when I got home. Really liking it. I appreciate the price point, especially when it is on sale. It is a classic beam profile. Sour fruit, nutty, corn, caramel and chocolate. Reminds me of a Kind bar. Its got just enough barrel character to help overshadow the youthful beam profile. Thick mouthfeel. Good for sipping or mixing. This bottle won't last long. Word of warning to those who don't appreciate the beam profile: this is the most Beam Beam I ever had. As a BIB, I say it accomplishes the identity of a BIB exactly. If I wanted to showcase what Jim Beam puts out (not considering the small batch collection) then this is the one I would show to people as the quintessential Beam.

Was excited to get my hands on this stuff and immediately popped it open when I got home. Really liking it. I appreciate the price point, especially when it is on sale. It is a classic beam profile. Sour fruit, nutty, corn, caramel and chocolate. Reminds me of a Kind bar. Its got just enough barrel character to help overshadow the youthful beam profile. Thick mouthfeel. Good for sipping or mixing. This bottle won't last long. Word of warning to those who don't appreciate the beam profile: this is the most Beam Beam I ever had. As a BIB, I say it accomplishes the identity of a BIB exactly. If I wanted to showcase what Jim Beam puts out (not considering the small batch collection) then this is the one I would show to people as the quintessential Beam.

I'm not sure if I should thank you or not, but that my friend is the first post I've seen that makes me want to pick this one up.:toast:

Well I cracked open the bottle tonight.

I've been doing a few pours of VOBBIB and EWBIB tonight as well.

I'm real BAD at describing taste guys so here's the best I can do comparing it to other BIBs.

If OGD BIB has a much more robust rye taste and VOB BIB has a much thicker robust bananna/peanut butter taste and I get a sweeter wheated taste off of OFBIB. JBBIB is somewhere in the middle. Of all the BIBs I've tried its very "middle" like EWBIB.

I like it. It's easy sipping for 100 proof.

This is quickly moving up on my list of BIBs. If it was OFBIB o EWBIB price it might be my favorite.

Trying it again tonight. This time with some ice and it's fantastic!

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.