Of all the Ryes you've tasted, which are the Spiciest & which are the most Balanced

johnnyflake45
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

In the $75 a 750 bottle or less, category, which Rye are the Spiciest, up front, in the middle and on the finish and which are the most Balanced?

MGP (95%) rye to answer the spiciest question on all front(s)/middle/finish:grin:. For sure a pretty zippy rye, especially at a younger age as say a Willett 4 yr.

As for the smoothest, well... that could be argued all day long. In the range you have, I'd probably go with CEHT. Pricing can be all over on this one though, as can availability. I think I can still get it for around $75... at least when it's available. :crazy:

Spiciest would probably be the ryes sourced from MGP. There are a lot of those producers, and which is spiciest depends on producer, taster, and the range of taster perceptions (which can vary from day to day.)

From my experience, most balanced would be High West Rendezvous. The combination of old and new ryes in the blend gives it a range of nose and flavors that is hard to match. Looking at it from another angle, the barely ryes (50-odd % rye) also represent balance because there is a greater balance of rye and corn components. These are ones like Wild Turkey, Sazerac, and Rittenhouse. They are more balanced but not necessarily better tasting ryes because of the corn/rye balance.

Not sure about spiciest as I tend to get a more earthy note in many ryes. The dill pickle of younger MGP ryes I suppose is the "spiciest". The most balanced to me would be the Millstone 100 from the Netherlands (since you didn't specify American rye... :cool:).

I will go with Bulleit being the spiciest I have tried and a bit rough around the edges. High West is very nice but way over priced IMHO ($60 here). I also think Rittenhouse is the most balanced and it's the one I keep on my shelf. Rittenhouse put no effort into the packaging/label but that's ok, I like it and will buy more.

MGP rye is fairly spicy (so Bulleit, or Willet 4yr 110 proof). For balanced, I like Jefferson's 10yr.

Willet 2 year has some nice spice to it, but honestly I'd say OBSK 4 Roses brings out the spicy notes of the rye more than any of the rye whiskeys I've had.

Balance, I'd probably give the nod to WTR101, but I find all the Kentucky style ryes (Ritt, WTR, KC) to be very well balanced.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.