How Do You Make Your Favorite - Sazerac Cocktail ???

johnnyflake45
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

28 minutes ago, Midwest101 said:

In the mixing glass:

About 1 tsp simple syrup. (I use 1:1 demarara)

5 shakes Peychaud's

2 oz rye (I really like RR 6 yr small batch)

Stirred with ice and strained into a chilled rocks glass that's been rinsed with absinthe. Express and discard a lemon zest and sit back and relax.

I like to use some smallish rocks glasses so they don't look like someone sipped half my drink. And I use Lucid absinthe.

I'll also, from time to time, use a cognac for the base spirit. Usually that's Remy VSOP, for what it's worth.

If you haven't done so you might consider venturing into Vieux Carre territory. No need having to choose between rye and cognac. Just put 'em both in there! You will have to track down some Benedictine if you don't have it. But everyone should have it!

Vieux Carré

1 oz Rye
1 oz Cognac
1 oz Sweet vermouth
1 t Bénédictine
2 ds Peychaud's Bitters
2 ds Bitters, Angostura

Stir, strain, rocks, low-ball.

1 hour ago, tanstaafl2 said:

If you haven't done so you might consider venturing into Vieux Carre territory. No need having to choose between rye and cognac. Just put 'em both in there! You will have to track down some Benedictine if you don't have it. But everyone should have it!

Vieux Carré

1 oz Rye
1 oz Cognac
1 oz Sweet vermouth
1 t Bénédictine
2 ds Peychaud's Bitters
2 ds Bitters, Angostura

Interesting... thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like a good way to help me move through my vermouth a little faster.

Edited by Midwest101

• 2 weeks later...

Two rocks glasses.  I use a bar spoon of Herbsaint in one of them and swirl to coat. Then I fill the glass with ice.

In the other rocks glass I put 1 sugar cube and soak it with 3 dashes of Peychaud's and 1 dash of Angostura.

2 oz of Baby Saz or 1.5 oz of Ritt100.  I prefer the Saz but its more expensive and harder to come by.

Muddle the sugar, bitters, and rye till sugar is mostly dissolved.  Then I add one cube from the other glass and stir.  Usually that single cube will melt before sugar is completely dissolved but if not I'll take it out.

Toss the ice from the first glass and pour the drink into the cold/Herbsaint glass.

Use a potato peeler to get a nice wide strip of lemon peel and express over the top of the drink.  I will rub the peel around the rim of the glass.  Occassionally I will drop the peel in but usually I throw it away.

If it's warmer outside I will put a big steel frozen drink ball in the glass to keep it cold.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 0:26 PM, Clueby said:

Two rocks glasses.  I use a bar spoon of Herbsaint in one of them and swirl to coat. Then I fill the glass with ice.

In the other rocks glass I put 1 sugar cube and soak it with 3 dashes of Peychaud's and 1 dash of Angostura.

2 oz of Baby Saz or 1.5 oz of Ritt100.  I prefer the Saz but its more expensive and harder to come by.

Muddle the sugar, bitters, and rye till sugar is mostly dissolved.  Then I add one cube from the other glass and stir.  Usually that single cube will melt before sugar is completely dissolved but if not I'll take it out.

Toss the ice from the first glass and pour the drink into the cold/Herbsaint glass.

Use a potato peeler to get a nice wide strip of lemon peel and express over the top of the drink.  I will rub the peel around the rim of the glass.  Occassionally I will drop the peel in but usually I throw it away.

If it's warmer outside I will put a big steel frozen drink ball in the glass to keep it cold.

The sugar cube is nice for show I suppose.

But when you you are making more than one at a time and/or get old and lazy (and/or you drink 'em fast enough!) you begin to get tired of trying to dissolve that damned sugar cube and quickly learn that about 1/4 ounce of simple 1:1 sugar syrup does the job just as well!

Keeping some superfine or "bar" sugar around and using about a teaspoon in place of the cube also works and dissolve so much easier!

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 2:52 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Vieux Carré

1 oz Rye
1 oz Cognac
1 oz Sweet vermouth
1 t Bénédictine
2 ds Peychaud's Bitters
2 ds Bitters, Angostura

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 3:54 PM, Midwest101 said:

Interesting... thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like a good way to help me move through my vermouth a little faster.

I should also note I prefer mine up rather than in a rocks glass with ice as this recipe suggests because I don't like my lovely boozy cocktail to get over diluted! But I have seen them both ways.

Keeping some superfine or "bar" sugar around and using about a teaspoon in place of the cube also works and dissolve so much easier!

In a pinch you can run granulated through a spice/coffee grinder or a small food processor if you need superfine and don't have it on hand.

27 minutes ago, BigRich said:

In a pinch you can run granulated through a spice/coffee grinder or a small food processor if you need superfine and don't have it on hand.

Just make sure it is thoroughly clean or you might invent a whole new drink... :huh:

4 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

The sugar cube is nice for show I suppose.

But when you you are making more than one at a time and/or get old and lazy (and/or you drink 'em fast enough!) you begin to get tired of trying to dissolve that damned sugar cube and quickly learn that about 1/4 ounce of simple 1:1 sugar syrup does the job just as well!

I actually kind of enjoy the slow dissolving of the cube. I also like how the bitters soak into the sugar before hitting it with the booze. I will occasionally use simple syrup as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.