How Does Sazerac Rye Compare With Riit Rye and/or Bulleit Rye?

johnnyflake45
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Are there any similarities between Sazerac Rye and either of the other two mentioned? Of the three, how would you rank them in order, from top to bottom?

John for me the Saz and Ritt are about on a par and I really couldn't rank one as better than the other. My experience with both on anything like a regular basis was some years ago when each had older/more mature whisky in the mix yet I expect the profiles have remained much the same.

I'm currently boycotting Bulleit Rye because it's overpriced for what it is. Diageo is masquerading a grade whisky (a good one but still grade) as a premium and I ain't buying in.

I agree with Squire, and enjoy both equally.

Edit: speaking of Ritt and baby Saz...

I'm not really a fan of Ritt as it comes off too bourbon like for me. I don't find it that similar to baby Saz (which I do like), but that's just me. The two guys above me on this post have much more experienced palates than I do so listen to them before me. I do agree with squire about Bulleit Rye. You'd be better off getting the Dickel Rye which is nearly the same at a few dollars less.

I'm not really a fan of Ritt as it comes off too bourbon like for me. I don't find it that similar to baby Saz (which I do like), but that's just me. The two guys above me on this post have much more experienced palates than I do so listen to them before me. I do agree with squire about Bulleit Rye. You'd be better off getting the Dickel Rye which is nearly the same at a few dollars less.

Come on bro, give yourself a little credit for a developed palate! You did grow up cutting your teeth on Hudepohl and Little Kings didn't you? :lol:

I sure did...:rolleyes:

Come on bro, give yourself a little credit for a developed palate! You did grow up cutting your teeth on Hudepohl and Little Kings didn't you? :lol:

I sure did...:rolleyes:

Hahaha........yes......now how did you know that? Hudy Delight. Nothing but the best.

I prefer Ritt to baby Saz for my Manhattans and Sazeracs I make at home, particularly after you factor in price. I haven't bought the Bulleit for the house, but when I am out at a decent bar and want rye in my cocktail, Bulleit is often on the shelf and I call for it by name.

I've always preferred Ritt over Saz, and with the change in Ritt to DSP-1; I like it even more! Bulleit is probably 3rd, although all three are decent enough ryes.

I've always preferred Ritt over Saz, and with the change in Ritt to DSP-1; I like it even more! Bulleit is probably 3rd, although all three are decent enough ryes.

Do you like Rittenhouse 100 more because the DSP-KY-1 tastes better than the DSP-KY-354 or for other reasons? The reason I ask is that I believe I could tell a difference in the taste between the old 354 and the first released 1.

This is kind of like asking what kind of music is the best. It depends what you like. All these ryes are pretty good. For myself, I would rank Rittenhouse 100 the highest. The latest one I tried, DSP 1 in the new package was very nice. I have a few of the DSP 354s saved. Those are good too. My main gripe with Saz is that it is hard to find, and in my opinion priced too high for what it is. I can find Ritt around $25. Nowadays Saz goes for $40, even more at places that gouge. Price aside, I still like Ritt BIB a bit more. I like the LDI/MGP ryes from Indiana, but they can be hit or miss with some people.

I agree with Squire, and enjoy both equally.

Edit: speaking of Ritt and baby Saz...

I agree with Squire and Paddy. I've only bought one bottle of Bulliet Rye and didn't care for it and wouldn't buy another if it was $13.99.

I have no use for Bulleit. I enjoy both Baby Saz and Rittenhouse BIB very much, and am well stocked with both (all DSP 354's for the Ritt at this time). Baby Saz and Ritt BIB are rye staples at home along with WT 101 rye. Others will come and go.

For cocktails the extra proof in Ritt 100 makes it the winner for me. By themselves I find the new DSP-1 Ritt to be a bit more rye forward than the DSP-354 (although it is pretty close) which makes it a bit more like the Saz. although I probably lean towards the Saz over Ritt. Bulleit is OK and almost always readily available in a bar where the others, especially Saz these days, are not. Availability also makes it useful when making a large number of cocktails if I don't have Ritt although Ritt is pretty regularly available again now and usually cheaper.

Of course if you really want extra proof for your cocktail (and money is no object!) there is always the option of barrel proof Sazerac rye... :rolleyes:

I truly love the input guys, thanks!

I am still pretty new to this Rye thing, but I actually find that I am liking Rye better that Wheated Bourbons, which were my favorite. I have not tried the Sazerac yet, but I have been into, almost a full bottle of each, Bulleit, Ritt and Dickel. I started out liking the Dickel best and then my taste started to prefer the Ritt and then it was the Bulleit. But as time went on, I find myself reaching for the Ritt 100 the most!

I plan to pick up a Baby Saz this weekend. The price seems pretty good, around here, at $29.99

BTW, a couple of weeks back I vatted a blend of equal parts, 4oz each, of Ritt, Dickel & Bulleit and I must say, it is far better, for me, than any of them individually.

I am still pretty new to this Rye thing, but I actually find that I am liking Rye better that Wheated Bourbons, which were my favorite. I have not tried the Sazerac yet, but I have been into, almost a full bottle of each, Bulleit, Ritt and Dickel. I started out liking the Dickel best and then my taste started to prefer the Ritt and then it was the Bulleit. But as time went on, I find myself reaching for the Ritt 100 the most!

Dickel and Bulleit are distilled at the same facility, but they age in warehouses in different states, and Dickel undergoes the Lincoln County charcoal leaching process in addition to that. So both will taste different, even though they'll both have a hint of the wintergreen thumbprint that is the signature of MGPI in Lawrenceburg, Indiana.

Ritt is one of the more neutral whiskeys, in that while it's legally a rye it is so low-key that it could be mistaken for bourbon. It's a great starting point, and a favorite of many.

Variety is good; you'll notice that your preferences will change now and then, even day to day, depending on what you're in the mood for. That's the fun of whiskey in general.

Of course if you really want extra proof for your cocktail (and money is no object!) there is always the option of barrel proof Sazerac rye... :rolleyes:

Yes, if the production could be dramatically expanded so THH was regularly available, it might be the hands down winner for me. I don't think a 6yr has any place in the BTAC really. They've had enough time to get the bottle output cranking on THH.

Hell, you can still sell it for 80, just release it regularly.

I like Rye Whiskey, but to be honest, none of these three (Ritt, Baby Saz or Bulleit) fall in my wheelhouse. I don't mind younger ryes, even a young as 2 years as long as the proof is higher. Of the 3 mentioned, I prefer Ritt BIB. However, I normally opt to pay a little more to buy something I prefer (e.g., SAOS, KC Rye).

I really wish BT would put these limited releases in 375 bottles. They would make just as much money and it would double the chances of those who would like to get a bottle.

I like all three of them. I'd take KC Rye over all three of them, though.

Rittenhouse is about two clicks off of bourbon. It's good and it's rye, but I find it quite close in flavor to their Evan Williams or Heaven Hill branded products. Bulleit is about the other end of the spectrum. Inky, bitter, herbal and full-on rye flavor. Sazerac Rye is pretty tasty, albeit quite hard to find. Definitely not a bourbon, but not as strong as the Bulleit. It gets the balance right.

I haven't had the Baby Saz, I do enjoy the higher rye mashbill of Bulleit over the Ritt ( price is not a deciding factor where I shop). That said my fav rye has been the SAOS 7. What a great nose!

I did a side by side recently with Baby Saz, Ritt and WT 101 and hands down loved the Saz. The others were good and I like their higher proof for cocktails, but the nose and taste on the Saz were awesome. Thankfully I am now able to pick up all of these in Ohio, so things are moving in the right direction here

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.