The end of SAOS Rye as we know it.

The Advantage
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Feel free to move this thread to the Rye forum if needed, but I wanted as many to see it as possible.

From Smooth Ambler.

Smooth Ambler Old Scout Rye Update

Effective immediately, we are pausing production of Old Scout Rye as it has existed, and consider this a temporary interruption in our rye whiskey supply. We have outpaced our projections for how long this stock of rye whiskey would last, and while that’s a great problem to have for a small company like ours, as we near the last group of these barrels we needed to make a tough decision about how to proceed.

Going forward, select iterations of Old Scout Rye will be available sporadically at our Gift Shop and in small allocations throughout some of our distribution area. In a bottle with a different label, but one which will be reminiscent of the standard Old Scout Rye, we will begin to release older, judiciously-selected whiskey of rare quality and limited quantity. From day one, and in both the grain-to-glass and merchant-bottled parts of our business, we have committed ourselves to attempting to release good stuff at fair prices and to be forthcoming with our customers about what we’re doing and why. This conversion of Old Scout Rye from a standard bottling to a special limited-release item will be no different. We will make every effort through social media and our distributors to let our customers know when these releases become available in West Virginia, and in other areas.

Simply put, folks: we’re running out.

At this time there is NO supply issue with Regular Old Scout, Old Scout Ten, Contradiction, or Revelation Rum. We will continue to bottle a little Yearling each year, and at long last our housemade bourbon, after six summers in the rickhouse, will be released this fall. As soon as we are able to secure additional rye whiskey we will resume production of Old Scout Rye.

JF

man that sucks, I guess LDI isn't the bottomless well of rye that I thought it was if they're having supply issues. I know theres plenty of other Indiana ryes on the market, but man I liked the profile that BP SAOS has more than any others I've had.

The tidbit of info that excited me, was the six summers aged bourbon, of their own doing. Now, THAT is awesome news!

Wow, has it been 6 years already for the bourbon? A few of us were discussing that at the Dallas Balcones tasting and it still felt a few years off. Time flies.

Agreed re: the six year bourbon. I thought it'd be released in late 2016 at the earliest. I'm presuming that's the wheated they've been promising. I do have two bottles of the SAOS rye, only one of which is opened, so I'm ok for awhile.

Damn - I almost picked up an SAOS 8yr rye today and thought "Hell, that's been on the shelf for a while - I've got time." Thinking that time is shrinking rapidly!

if anyone is interested, astor wines has both the SAOS 7 yr rye ($34) and an 8 yr barrel proof rye ($63) in stock at present. even better is the free shipping with orders over $99.

the regular expression is great and for th pric is hard to beat. The barrel proof version is fantastic!

Just picked up a bottle of the 7 yr today. I have an 8 year barrel proof bourbon and would to add that rye to the collection.

if anyone is interested, astor wines has both the SAOS 7 yr rye ($34) and an 8 yr barrel proof rye ($63) in stock at present. even better is the free shipping with orders over $99.

the regular expression is great and for th pric is hard to beat. The barrel proof version is fantastic!

Thanks for the tip! Also they're running fathers day special for 15% off all their whiskey. Got a couple of the SAOSR and added a WTR101 to order since the price was so good.

happy to help. yeah the 15% off is great, and its hard to beat free shipping!

i might have to place another order!

FYI that order is for first time customers placing a web order. Although regular shipping isn't too bad.

FYI that order is for first time customers placing a web order. Although regular shipping isn't too bad.

Right, my first time doing mail order. I was excited to see that someone would ship to GA with reasonable prices.

Thanks for the tip on Astor. With free shipping and not having to pay the 9% sales tax charged in CA, once again I find it less expensive to order online than to shop in a local store -- and that is putting aside that SAOS is pretty hard to find (not impossible, but hard) in stores around here anyway.

So bigger question, are we going to see other LDI rye bottlers discontinuing their rye lines as well? Makes me wonder in Diego has started buying enough that its affected the smaller players supply/price points?

Thanks for the heads up! I went over to the website last night and they had the sale prices. I checked this morning and noticed the sale must have ended. Was it just for a single day?

it was a fathers day sale. it lasted a few days

Thanks, I figured it when I went to their Facebook page. It worked on in the end. I was able to find some SAOS BP 8 year locally.

Always enjoyed their bourbon. Never loved the rye tho. Even the private selects.

Always enjoyed their bourbon. Never loved the rye tho. Even the private selects.

I'm at the other end on SA whiskey, K. The bourbons have done nothing for me. Way overhyped IMO, particularly the private selections. MGP bourbons just don't seem to have anything distinguishing to my palate. Simple flavoring whiskey for Canadian blends seems to be all I can glean from them. The Ryes are standard MGP, which I like, so I'm good with them. And, I do appreciated the older aged and BP selections .

I'm at the other end on SA whiskey, K. The bourbons have done nothing for me. Way overhyped IMO, particularly the private selections. MGP bourbons just don't seem to have anything distinguishing to my palate. Simple flavoring whiskey for Canadian blends seems to be all I can glean from them. The Ryes are standard MGP, which I like, so I'm good with them. And, I do appreciated the older aged and BP selections .

Well there's always a right way and a wrong way isn't there?[emoji106]?[emoji108]?

I generally prefer MGP rye to MGP bourbon, but they're both nice. I always end up comparing MGP bourbon to Four Roses (for the obvious reasons), though, and 4R always wins.

I always end up comparing MGP bourbon to Four Roses (for the obvious reasons), though, and 4R always wins.

Always interesting to see how pallets differ. I end up comparing MGP bourbon to Beam. And FR always wins.

PS. ....I do love some MGP rye

I have occasionally enjoyed a store pick of the bourbon, especially the Highway to Hell bourbon from barrel 666. The K&L Faultline, which is a blend of the high rye and "mid rye" bourbon mashbills, has also been reasonably enjoyable.

The off the shelf bottles are more hit or miss to me.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.