Sazerac to release 1792 Sweet Wheat Bourbon - 8 Year Age Statement?

Conquistador
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I managed to score a couple for myself and some buddies who ended up not wanting it... enjoyed it, but swapped a couple out for Weller 12's with a guy who had trouble finding it. Kept one for myself. I'll probably revisit... I enjoy but it's not anything that just blows my socks off... definitely prefer W12 by a sizeable margin.

• 1 year later...
10 hours ago, Bbstout said:

Will this be an ongoing yearly release?

It is back this year, but I don't think they had a release last year. If I could choose I would hope they had more Port Finish on hand rather than this one.

14 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

It is back this year, but I don't think they had a release last year. If I could choose I would hope they had more Port Finish on hand rather than this one.

I really hope they bring the port finish back. I really liked that one. I only got one bottle last year. Wish I had gotten the other one on the shelf.

THX for the bump.  I bought several Port finish but only one Sweet Wheat.  Glad to know the SW is showing up again.

A few weeks ago I was @ Barton, talking about my love for 1792 with one of the tasting room girls.

I told her I was really missing the port finished, and she smiled and said "it might be making another appearance soon".

As for sweet wheat releases, I've seen bottle date codes from 2015, 2016, & 2017.  As far as I've seen there's been a release every year so far.

Edited by 0895

I can take-it-or-leave-it when it comes to the SW, but the HR is a cut above IMO.  I'd love to see this semi-regularly.

On July 15, 2017 at 8:39 PM, Harry in WashDC said:

THX for the bump.  I bought several Port finish but only one Sweet Wheat.  Glad to know the SW is showing up again.

Opened the sweet wheat and don't get why this one is chased. I got a lot of bubblegum and sweetness with not much depth. I'd take the port any day over this one.

7 minutes ago, Bbstout said:

Opened the sweet wheat and don't get why this one is chased. I got a lot of bubblegum and sweetness with not much depth. I'd take the port any day over this one.

I, too, like the port finish better.  BUT, it's hard to find better than average wheateds, and I think this is one.  That lack of depth observation does appear often (well, more than "WOW!!") when wheateds are compared with rye forward bourbons (the palates and resultant comments from some prominent SBers around Atlanta notwithstanding B)).  "Homogenized" is another word I've heard some.  While I think the rye forwards, by and large, are more complex and interesting, that does not mean I don't like the wheateds (or even wheat whiskey), especially on hot days.

As far as wheaters, I have loved the RY10 year and stocked up. I'm nervous as it is a single barrel and have heard some negative comments. Hopefully my other batches are good as well. I find that 8-10 year barrels are my sweet spot as I am sensitive to astringency that sometimes comes from over oaked bourbon.

19 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

I, too, like the port finish better.  BUT, it's hard to find better than average wheateds, and I think this is one.  That lack of depth observation does appear often (well, more than "WOW!!") when wheateds are compared with rye forward bourbons (the palates and resultant comments from some prominent SBers around Atlanta notwithstanding B)).  "Homogenized" is another word I've heard some.  While I think the rye forwards, by and large, are more complex and interesting, that does not mean I don't like the wheateds (or even wheat whiskey), especially on hot days.

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending because I'm genuinely curious but what do you consider a below average wheater?  Especially in this price range. I personally can't stand Rebel Yell in all it's cheap forms but it's not really in the same league as this.  I love the new DN1843 and find Larceny to be my "average"  wheater. 

9 minutes ago, Limegoldconvertible68 said:

I hope this doesn't come across as condescending because I'm genuinely curious but what do you consider a below average wheater?  Especially in this price range. I personally can't stand Rebel Yell in all it's cheap forms but it's not really in the same league as this.  I love the new DN1843 and find Larceny to be my "average"  wheater. 

I'm not a fan of RY either.  I was surprised at the (100 proof) DN 1843 I picked up a month or so ago; I hadn't tasted its earlier incarnation and bought it only on a whim.  Still working my way through the first bottle and have a second on the shelf now.  "They" must have read the reviews from its first release and "fixed" it this past year; people I trust hated it, and I can't believe this latest tastes the same as the old one or I, too, wouldn't like it.  I think Larceny is fine for a 92 proofer although I miss the Old Fitz BIB.  And, I do keep a bottle or two of Bernheim Wheat Whiskey around; sometimes I just get in a mood.

EDIT - I have never had the RY 10 yr.  Maybe I should try it.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

• 1 month later...

Hmmm. Looks like I missed Sweet Wheat again this year. I'd have been a customer at <40. Really liked the first year release.

Hopefully they keep on keepin' on with it.

7 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Hmmm. Looks like I missed Sweet Wheat again this year. I'd have been a customer at <40. Really liked the first year release.

Hopefully they keep on keepin' on with it.

Is it possible that things are just on hold in your neck of the woods as far as distribution?

You might see it once things are back to normal.

That'd be cool. Time will tell. It's not something I need to move heaven and earth for, but I did enjoy the pour I had a few years ago.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.