JD Single Barrel Today

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Haven't had this in quite a while so snagged a bottle at LCBO. Very "fresh", bottled March 31, '15. Rick R-4, barrel 15-1506.

Rich and very bourbon-like, no banana ester at all, anyone tasting this blind would peg it as a 5-6 year old high quality bourbon. Good mouth feel too, the 47% ABV works very well here.

I've had the impression in recent years JD is moving away from the old palate, not a bad thing since the banana-acetone thing often got a bit much, but maybe it's just this particular barrel. Anyway very good and distinctive.

Gary

I got a bottle late last year and have been enjoying a pour every now and then. I totally agree with the bourbon comparison Gary.... there's a lot to like about what Jack is doing with this product. In fact, I might even grab it out tonight for a pour :)

I haven't had this recently Gary. Your review will make me change that .
Edited by Gillman

I haven't had this recently Gary. Your review will make me change that .

I've always liked JDSB more than the other JD expressions. And with the amount that is made, it might (along with Beam) be more resistant to price increases. Here's to hoping anyway...

The very best thing about JDSB at the LCBO is its price: C$55 out the door (that's about US$45 today). Currently it's on sale for C$50, which is cheaper that you can get it most places in the USA. That is a rare occurrence.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.