Binny's, Ardbeg, Talisker & Lagavulin An Impromptu Tasting & Impressions

RyeNot
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, I was in Chicago the other day and wanted to grab a bottle. I had read much here about Ardbeg so I was going to give it a go. They even had a nice promotion pack with a couple of glasses - which I needed. When I was looking at the shelf, I saw a note that said they offered free tastings.

Talisker 10 is my go to scotch. At Binny's I tried the Ardbeg and noted that it was decidedly less smooth than the Talisker To which I am accustom. I was discussing this with the manager and he suggested trying both Talisker Storm and Lagavulin 16. The Storm was nice, but not worth $5 more than the Talisker 10. The Lagavulin was also very nice, very smooth and quite tasty. Given that I have Talisker at home, I left with a bottle of Lagavulin 16 & a Binny's Glencairn glass.

Given the ~$15 price difference, I don't see switching from Talisker to Lagavulin for an everyday dram, but having it in my stash for special days (however you define them) is likely.

Notes:

Binny's - Kudos to Binny's for having the option to take a sip or two of product to help in making an informed decision. This kept me from buying a bottle I would not have enjoyed.

Ardbeg - To my palate, this is a harsh dram. It tastes immature and I did not enjoy it. It wasn't hateful, but neither did it call my name. I know it has its fans, and I am not saying they are wrong, it is just not for me.

Talisker Storm - This is a no age statement whisky. To me it's profile is similar to the Talisker 10. It was a nice dram, but to me it is not worth an extra $5 over the Talisker 10. Also, I am not a fan of the no age statement trend, so will not support that. Fortunately, I don't have to give up anything to get the Talisker 10 & I even save a few $$$.

Lagavulin - This is a very nice dram. It is smoky and flavorful while being as smooth as silk. I wouldn't say it is better or worse than Talisker 10, but it is different, both are quite good. While this won't be my daily dram, it will be in my stash.

To me Lagavulin 16 is one of the best my only gripe is that they add coloring.

Ardbeg 10 in my opinion is rough, does not taste like a 10 year old scotch. Ugidal is much better.

Store had Talisker Storm for $34 so I grabbed one, was not terrible but I would not consider it a good dram as it too was kind of rough.

Haven't had one in a while but the Laphroaig 10 cask strength I had about a year ago was nice.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.