Dad's Hat Rye distiller available for questions, comments, feedback, etc.

Dad'sHatRye
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Glad to have found this thread!!

I tried the rye at Binny's World of Whisky in the spring and loved it. I get a leathery smell/taste, which I also noticed in Leopold Brothers from Colorodo (but it's Maryland style).

My dad worked at a tannery for 50 years ( I did 1 summer), so I love leather.

Just looked at my bottle (bought right after the event). It's the 90 proof, aged at least 6 months. 

328e1eac-e824-4b88-9e73-8723948ec65a_zps

**note Whisky Advocate award**

Does the new 3+ 95 proof have a similar taste profile? I was just at Binny's yesterday and looked at the Dad's, but didn't realize it was a new release. That's what I get for working so much and not checking SB.com often enough. I hope they still have the new release; I may be able to get there Wed or Thurs.

Glad everything is goiing well and you're growing.

Interesting that there is an S. Rosen's bread bakery company that's been around since 1909. Wonder if they had relatives farming in Michigan???

Could you comment on the similarities and differences of PA and MD style ryes?

Thanks!

Edited by bigtoys

• 3 weeks later...

Well, my work schedule may have changed. Not sure if I'll be down. Dang! I'll have to keep watching for the straight rye.

I don't think I'll be able to make it, unfortunately. Hopefully there will be more BIB available soon. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2016 at 1:11 AM, bigtoys said:

I tried the rye at Binny's World of Whisky in the spring and loved it. I get a leathery smell/taste, which I also noticed in Leopold Brothers from Colorodo (but it's Maryland style).

Just looked at my bottle (bought right after the event). It's the 90 proof, aged at least 6 months. 

Does the new 3+ 95 proof have a similar taste profile? I was just at Binny's yesterday and looked at the Dad's, but didn't realize it was a new release. That's what I get for working so much and not checking SB.com often enough. I hope they still have the new release; I may be able to get there Wed or Thurs.

Interesting that there is an S. Rosen's bread bakery company that's been around since 1909. Wonder if they had relatives farming in Michigan???

Thanks!

I am more reoccupied with PA rye, so I don't feel equipped to make an intelligent comparison with MD.  Regarding Rosen Rye - when it was introduced in 1909 it quickly became a favorite for all uses, so it is not surprising that a bakery would latch on to it, too.

This might be a little off subject, but we sent some of our emptied 53 gallon barrels over to a new distillery in Scotland, called the Isle of Harris Distillery.  They are filling their new make into our used rye barrels this coming week.  It will be a wait, but I am really looking forward to trying this.  Aside from the JW blended scotch aged in used rye barrels, we think this is the first Single Malt to go into used Rye barrels - has anyone seen another example?

http://www.harrisdistillery.com/news/scotch-rye

isle of harris.png

Dear DHR - RE: your used barrels going to Isle of Harris Distillery so they can be filled with scotch -- should we be checking back in around, say, 2040 to see when it will be ready?:lol:  Also, is there something called "scotch futures" like there is for wine and port?  If so, I'm sure my grandkids (if any ever show up) would really like this.;)

More seriously, it is nice to see that investors in Scotland, in addition to Ireland and the US, is seeing sufficient interest in brown, grain (as distinguished from sugar) spirits to invest in start-ups.  Some of us armchair afficionados are glad "you" are catering to our desires.

Incidentally, multiple stores in the WashDC area now carry your products on the shelves which means I have no trouble finding it - I don't even have to ask anymore.   

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 7:25 PM, bigtoys said:

cbfda4d1-5d5b-4fb7-b5b4-bbf647ad2f3e_zps

just hit Binny's shelves today

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2016 at 11:11 PM, bigtoys said:

Thanks!

What is the mash bill on this rye? A store in Washington State has this one and a White Rye, a Port Rye and a Vermouth Rye, all Dad's Hat. Any information would be appreciated.

Regards, Jim

On November 23, 2016 at 9:44 AM, hawkeye62 said:

What is the mash bill on this rye? A store in Washington State has this one and a White Rye, a Port Rye and a Vermouth Rye, all Dad's Hat. Any information would be appreciated.

Regards, Jim

80% rye, 15% barley malt and 5% rye malt. 

Similar to the Monongahela style from western PA back in the day. 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2015 at 6:44 AM, Dad'sHatRye said:

Our mash bill is 80% unmalted local rye grain, 15% malted barley, and 5% malted rye. We chose this after doing a lot of research into what was being used in PA during Rye's heyday and after testing recipes at Michigan State. We think that the 20% total malt is an important factor that makes PA rye distinctive - particularly compared to what is made in KY (lots of corn), Canada (no malt) or Indiana (very little malt).

Could you comment on why you are using 15% barley malt, 5% rye malt rather than 20% rye malt?

Best regards, Jim  

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:08 AM, hawkeye62 said:

Could you comment on why you are using 15% barley malt, 5% rye malt rather than 20% rye malt?

Best regards, Jim  

I am sure that the distiller will respond soon but I suspect it is at least partly a cost thing. Rye malt is likely a good deal more expensive than barley malt.

In response to the questions regarding our mash bill....

We chose the combination of Barley Malt and Rye Malt on the basis of taste, not cost.   We tried different combinations and we liked this one the best. Using just rye malt results in a whiskey that is a little one dimensional, and we are looking for a nice balance of flavors.

We stick with malt, instead of just adding enzymes, for the flavor.  Not only does it reach back to traditional recipes, but the malt adds great flavor.  There are few folks who are using all rye grain or all rye grain and rye malt, but they are missing the great dimension that the barley malt brings to the mix.   By the way, we are not using traditional distillers, six row, malt.  We have chosen a two row malt on the basis of the flavor that is adds to the whiskey.

Many of the big guys in Canada and Indiana chose to reduce the amount of malt they use (using purchased enzymes instead) on the basis of cost, but we have stayed true to the traditional recipes and use 20% malt. 

• 5 months later...

Now that our 3+ year old Straight Rye is on the shelves in all the states were we are already distributed, we would be interested in getting your feedback if you have had the opportunity to taste/purchase.  Thanks

I'll go first-

I got a bottle of the Straight Rye the other day from the state store. Generally I am cautious spending my money on any bottle of whiskey over $40. But I know Herman and John at Dad's Hat have continually put out a good product. I spent the $59.99 price tag asked by the state and got my bottle. I waited until evening after dinner to pop it open with a friend. He's just started his whiskey journey, so I thought it would be fun both having this offering of rye for the first time......

.....The bottle is a quarter of the way gone already, and dropping fast. Real fast. I'm going to make some bold statements, but it's how I feel about this rye to my palate. If someone were to put Whistlepig, Pikesville 110, and the Dad's Hat Straight Rye in front of me, I would grab the Dad's Hat. Yes. To me, it's that good. But it's only 3 or so years old you say- Well, this is where experience and patience has certainly paid off. The rye has mellowed nicely, but retained a forward grain character. Gone are the powerful yeasty, oily, bready notes. They've been replaced with spice, a good dose of bitters and astringency, and grassy, herbal rye notes. And there's some light barrel sweetness to round it out. I'm not sure how to describe it or what to compare it to, but it certainly represents what Pennsylvania rye was. Here's a craft whiskey that has definitely grown up and is ready to compete in a larger pool. My opinion? Worth every penny and absolutely worth picking up and enjoying. I would imagine it will only further improve over time too!

I think it's very good. Definitely tastes young, but in a good way — that is, I don't get any "new make" flavor at all. It's bright tasting, if that makes sense but with some of the traditional rye spice notes. From my perspective, it also gets points for being unique — it's quite different from MGP, Alberta, as well as KY-style "barely legal" rye. To me, when I think of the pros and cons of the whiskey boom, Dad's Hat definitely goes in the pro column.

At $60, it's not something I'm going to grab often (and of course I couldn't even if I wanted to since it's not distributed in GA yet!). Also, I'd love to try the BIB version.

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2017 at 8:14 PM, ethangsmith said:

I'll go first-

I got a bottle of the Straight Rye the other day from the state store. Generally I am cautious spending my money on any bottle of whiskey over $40. But I know Herman and John at Dad's Hat have continually put out a good product. I spent the $59.99 price tag asked by the state and got my bottle. I waited until evening after dinner to pop it open with a friend. He's just started his whiskey journey, so I thought it would be fun both having this offering of rye for the first time......

.....The bottle is a quarter of the way gone already, and dropping fast. Real fast. I'm going to make some bold statements, but it's how I feel about this rye to my palate. If someone were to put Whistlepig, Pikesville 110, and the Dad's Hat Straight Rye in front of me, I would grab the Dad's Hat. Yes. To me, it's that good. But it's only 3 or so years old you say- Well, this is where experience and patience has certainly paid off. The rye has mellowed nicely, but retained a forward grain character. Gone are the powerful yeasty, oily, bready notes. They've been replaced with spice, a good dose of bitters and astringency, and grassy, herbal rye notes. And there's some light barrel sweetness to round it out. I'm not sure how to describe it or what to compare it to, but it certainly represents what Pennsylvania rye was. Here's a craft whiskey that has definitely grown up and is ready to compete in a larger pool. My opinion? Worth every penny and absolutely worth picking up and enjoying. I would imagine it will only further improve over time too!

Quite the endorsement as Pikesville 110 and Whistlepig are my favorite two ryes.  I like others but those rank at the top for me.  Unfortunately, Dad's Hat isn't available in Indiana.

Don't get me wrong, they're different styles of rye, but they're all in the same price bracket. I prefer younger ryes, so the Dad's Hat fits what I'm looking for perfectly. And I like whiskeys that are astringent (Think OGD or the old Heaven Hill gold label BIB), so again the Dad's Hat fits my tastes. As their supply of aged stock continues to grow, I expect future bottlings to be even better!

13 hours ago, ethangsmith said:

Don't get me wrong, they're different styles of rye, but they're all in the same price bracket. I prefer younger ryes, so the Dad's Hat fits what I'm looking for perfectly. And I like whiskeys that are astringent (Think OGD or the old Heaven Hill gold label BIB), so again the Dad's Hat fits my tastes. As their supply of aged stock continues to grow, I expect future bottlings to be even better!

I understand.  I would still like to try it.  I hope to pick up a bottle next time I go to Binny's.

• 3 weeks later...

FYI for those of you in the Nashville, TN area.  We have just entered that market with our distributor Athens Distributing of Nashville.  Spread the word to your friends in the Music City.

31 minutes ago, Dad'sHatRye said:

FYI for those of you in the Nashville, TN area.  We have just entered that market with our distributor Athens Distributing of Nashville.  Spread the word to your friends in the Music City.

Congrats on your expansion into that market!

• 2 months later...

For those of you in PA, CA, NV, and IL - we now have Private Single Barrels of our Straight Rye selected by BevMo! in CA, Total Wine in NV,  Binny's in Chicago, and at Premium Collection Stores in Pennsylvania.  These were bottled at cask strength and selected by these retailers from several samples sent for their evaluation.

PLCB STRAIGHT SINGLE BARREL JUNE 2017.jpg

8 hours ago, Dad'sHatRye said:

For those of you in PA, CA, NV, and IL - we now have Private Single Barrels of our Straight Rye selected by BevMo! in CA, Total Wine in NV,  Binny's in Chicago, and at Premium Collection Stores in Pennsylvania.  These were bottled at cask strength and selected by these retailers from several samples sent for their evaluation.

I love that you put so much useful info on the label, might have to take a drive out to PA to find one of these!

• I like it 1

On 9/17/2017 at 9:32 AM, Dad'sHatRye said:

Looks good, (as said above) love the info on the label. Keep giving the people what they want (BP, single barrel store picks). I don't know if its available in Louisiana yet, but I will support y'all when I can. 

• I like it 1

• 5 weeks later...

Latest news,  Dad's Hat is now available in Minnesota. Our distributor there is Nogoce.  http://negocemn.com/   

Stay tuned for more Private Single Barrel Placements coming in the next couple of weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2017 at 7:55 PM, Dad'sHatRye said:

Latest news,  Dad's Hat is now available in Minnesota. Our distributor there is Nogoce.  http://negocemn.com/   

Stay tuned for more Private Single Barrel Placements coming in the next couple of weeks.

Please keep up updated on the Private Single Barrel placements.  I got the email from you today and I'm hoping that it will make it's way to Maryland or DC.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.