Dad's Hat Rye distiller available for questions, comments, feedback, etc.

Dad'sHatRye
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

8 hours ago, LCWoody said:

Are yall doing single barrel store picks with the 4y yet? And what's the time frame on Louisiana?

No store picks for a while so we can keep our vatting tank at a good level.  Still working on LA, Q2 maybe?

• I like it 1

I missed your post from November about being in Washington. The timing makes sense as Pacific Edge just came into the region.

I some at the store for the first time yesterday. It had been a while since I'd read this thread so I didn't know what was what so I didn't buy anything yet.

Been reading here to get caught up!

• I like it 1

• 4 months later...

While I haven’t seen these in GA I am intrigued and have a question. You have a bib expression, thank you for that as I am a big fan of bibs across the board,  you also have a 95p “pre prohibition style” aged 4 years small batch. Beyond 5 proof points and the single distilling season how or do these 2 expressions differ? Are they the same recipe? 

Looking forward to something at least 4 yrs old appearing on a shelf  near me as I am a big rye fan and I do look forward to trying some Dads Hats soon.

On 6/16/2019 at 10:27 AM, kcgumbohead said:

While I haven’t seen these in GA I am intrigued and have a question. You have a bib expression, thank you for that as I am a big fan of bibs across the board,  you also have a 95p “pre prohibition style” aged 4 years small batch. Beyond 5 proof points and the single distilling season how or do these 2 expressions differ? Are they the same recipe? 

Looking forward to something at least 4 yrs old appearing on a shelf  near me as I am a big rye fan and I do look forward to trying some Dads Hats soon.

We are distributed in GA by Ultimate and they have purchased  our 4 year old for resale.  You can ask your local retailer to reach out to them.  The difference between the BIB and the green label 4 year old is that the BIB is from the same distilling season and we do a release once per year.  Our 4 year old Straight (like almost all of our other products) is vatted in a 6,000 liter tank.  We harvest barrels and dump them into this tank.  We bottle from that tank, but we do not empty the tank.  So, newly harvested 4+ year old barrels are mixing with what was bottled last time.  This helps with consistency of our flavor profile and we just like this approach for the flavor complexity that it brings.

BTW, we added the Pre Pro to the new label to emphasize the old school PA style that we practice.   80 % rye grain and 20% malt - no corn, no wheat and we ferment in a sweet mash.  We use this basic recipe for all of our Rye Whiskey.  As far as we know, we might be the only distillery with this recipe - in particular, the amount of malt that we use is pretty unique.

We have not sold our BIB in GA yet.  We are currently choosing our 2019 release, so we will encourage Ultimate to bring some into the state.

• I like it 4

21 hours ago, Dad'sHatRye said:

We are distributed in GA by Ultimate and they have purchased  our 4 year old for resale.  You can ask your local retailer to reach out to them.  The difference between the BIB and the green label 4 year old is that the BIB is from the same distilling season and we do a release once per year.  Our 4 year old Straight (like almost all of our other products) is vatted in a 6,000 liter tank.  We harvest barrels and dump them into this tank.  We bottle from that tank, but we do not empty the tank.  So, newly harvested 4+ year old barrels are mixing with what was bottled last time.  This helps with consistency of our flavor profile and we just like this approach for the flavor complexity that it brings.

BTW, we added the Pre Pro to the new label to emphasize the old school PA style that we practice.   80 % rye grain and 20% malt - no corn, no wheat and we ferment in a sweet mash.  We use this basic recipe for all of our Rye Whiskey.  As far as we know, we might be the only distillery with this recipe - in particular, the amount of malt that we use is pretty unique.

We have not sold our BIB in GA yet.  We are currently choosing our 2019 release, so we will encourage Ultimate to bring some into the state.

Thank you, I will also reach out to Ultimate and ask about that BIB. Cheers!!

• I like it 1

On 6/20/2019 at 1:03 PM, kcgumbohead said:

Thank you, I will also reach out to Ultimate and ask about that BIB. Cheers!!

I got an email from Sherlocks about a Cask Strength private barrel.  I was glad the email touted "small baby barrels", but disappointed they went with the "small baby barrels".  Hoping other stores in the area step up with the full size cask strength - and I'm a buyer!

4 hours ago, GaryT said:

I got an email from Sherlocks about a Cask Strength private barrel.  I was glad the email touted "small baby barrels", but disappointed they went with the "small baby barrels".  Hoping other stores in the area step up with the full size cask strength - and I'm a buyer!

You and me both!! Though I am certainly optimistic about that bib as well. I wonder from what size barrels the next bib batch will have come? 

Edited by kcgumbohead

On 6/24/2019 at 8:37 AM, kcgumbohead said:

You and me both!! Though I am certainly optimistic about that bib as well. I wonder from what size barrels the next bib batch will have come? 

On 6/24/2019 at 4:26 AM, GaryT said:

If you get the chance, taste the 15 gallon barrel whiskey before you dismiss it.  It doesn't try to be an older whiskey, and it has its own character.  

All of our Straight and BIB whiskey is aged in 53 gallon barrels - and our minimum for our Straight Rye is 4 years old.  We have also done some Straight Whiskey Barrel picks in California - Try BevMo! or Total Wine to see if they still have stock left.  We have sold our 2018 release BIB in CA and there are stores who still have some in stock

22 hours ago, Dad'sHatRye said:

If you get the chance, taste the 15 gallon barrel whiskey before you dismiss it.  It doesn't try to be an older whiskey, and it has its own character.  

All of our Straight and BIB whiskey is aged in 53 gallon barrels - and our minimum for our Straight Rye is 4 years old.  We have also done some Straight Whiskey Barrel picks in California - Try BevMo! or Total Wine to see if they still have stock left.  We have sold our 2018 release BIB in CA and there are stores who still have some in stock

Alas we reside in the fair state of GA which, in its draconian wisdom, has deemed the we should be denied any spirits that require shipping from out of state. If it ain't on local shelves or we can't drive to it, we don't get it ( at least we CAN now purchase on Sundays, don't even get me started on that moronic nonsense!! ). Several of us make frequent pilgrimages to KY and while I hail from SoCal driving there is not in my near-term plans  (I drove or more aptly, sat in endless traffic for plenty of hours while I lived there, 20yrs). 

The info you have provided is greatly appreciated and your presence and participation here on SB certainly  is as well. I have started a dialogue with the goal of obtaining some of that next batch of BiB for GA rye fans so I for one will patiently await that, I am looking forward to it!!

Thanks again and Slainte !!

KC.

I believe there are some BIB from the last release in KY.  Party Source and DEPs, I think  

Thanks for your interest and enthusiasm.  

• 1 month later...

We have added another state to our distribution network.  We are now available in Oklahoma.  Our distributor there is Republic National Distributing Company also known as RNDC.  You can ask your favorite local retailer or bar/restaurant to get it in.  For now, just our Classic 90 Proof and our 4 year old Straight Rye Whiskey will be available.  Tell your friends in OK.

• 2 weeks later...

Comments here are meant to be useful information that folks here might find interesting - mostly information about availability, production and mashbill details, and responses to questions.  I think I have stayed clear of content that would be just promotional.   I asked the moderators to let me know if I get too close to the line.  

• I like it 8

5 hours ago, Dad'sHatRye said:

Comments here are meant to be useful information that folks here might find interesting - mostly information about availability, production and mashbill details, and responses to questions.  I think I have stayed clear of content that would be just promotional.   I asked the moderators to let me know if I get too close to the line.  

You are good.

People want to know about the product and process and you are open and transparent about it. People have asked "when will your product be available in my state?" so I have no problem with you letting us know when a new state gets added.

• I like it 5

7 hours ago, Dad'sHatRye said:

Thoughtful and reasonable response.  I like to think  I'm a reasonable  fellow, so you won me over, haha. My take is that a vendor's  presence  on this site can sort of tend to suppress open commentary  from others sometimes, but then I realize  there are many other threads on here for enthusiasts to share  their view on critical tastings, recommendations, etc. This site does and should  offer something  for everyone  and sometimes I can tend to forget  that sometimes.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I like to think  I'm a reasonable  fellow

Free advertising?

• I like it 4

6 hours ago, flahute said:

You are good.

People want to know about the product and process and you are open and transparent about it. People have asked "when will your product be available in my state?" so I have no problem with you letting us know when a new state gets added.

and I'm gad a few of them post here.  And I prefer that if they are associated with a distillery that they are very clear and not pretending to be a just a customer.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Well I don't  have anything  to sell.

That's how all the most expensive pitches start...

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

That's how all the most expensive pitches start...

Sorry I don't  follow you.

• 1 month later...

OK, we have a new state / new distributor announcement to make.  

• We have a new distributor in the Nashville, Memphis, and Chattanooga markets in Tennessee - now represented by Fireside Distributing Company
  • We have a new distributor in Massachusetts - now represented by Night Shift Distributing Company
  • We are now available for the first time in Oklahoma represented by Republic National Distributing Company (same as Texas)
  • We are now available for the first time in Florida represented by Sunshine State Distributing Company

• 3 months later...

Saw a 4 year PS today. Been following this thread for a while off and on and waiting to see a PS around here. I was a little let down  by the age. Any who have had this.. is it one to gamble on at $65?

I've never seen a Private Stock edition of Dad's Hat;  the ones to look for are the 95 proof straight rye which in most places now is up to four years in age and aged in 53 gallon barrels, and the BIB, which is about 10 bucks more than the straight, at slightly higher proof but basically about the same age.    The regular editions of Dad's Hat (some of which are finished) are still aged in smaller barrels,  I believe,  for shorter periods of time than the straight.

Dad's Hat is very old school rye,  with no corn in the mash bill.   If you like pumpernickel bread,  DH is your tipple.  I recommend it.  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.