Booker's named batches

danz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Starting in 2015, Booker's changed their labels to give names to their batches. I don't see a dedicated thread, so here is one, beginning with Batch 2015-03 "The Center Cut", the first 2015 roundtable batch. I haven't seen it on shelves, so maybe someone can give tasting impressions. However, the label struck me as odd.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21218&stc=1

Does anybody else wonder who is designing the mock woodcut labels and if they have ever been to Kentucky? That piece of meat doesn't look like any "center cut" or even any piece of "cured" meat I've ever seen. From Beam: "As for the meat, Booker liked to cure his own and enjoyed nothing better than a thick slice from the center." http://www.bookersbourbon.com/batches/

This is what I thought center cuts looked like, but maybe I'm mistaken:

http://shop.bentonscountryham.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=hschccbps

http://cliftyfarm.3dcartstores.com/168-CLIFTY-FARM-COUNTRY-HAM-CENTER-SLICES--2--2-lb-Packages-Our-Center-Slices-are-the-very-finest-center-portion-of-the-ham_p_68.html

post-10774-14489822597555_thumb.jpg

Hi, Danz.

Maybe they were thinking center cut pork chop - which mostly doesn't look like that, either. Or could it be a center cut sirloin with the bone-in. Or perhaps a bad t-bone. I'll eat one of each if somebody will give me a bottle of Booker's to go with them.:shocked:

Harry

Edited by Harry in WashDC
bad fingers mean bad spelling

I thought of the pork chop and t-bone possibilities, but neither fits with the "Booker liked to cure his own" line, unless there is some tradition in Kentucky to cure those cuts of meat that is different from the ham tradition I recall from the region.

Maybe that icon is supposed to be a porterhouse, which to some is the best of both worlds: filet and t-bone. So bookers is supposed to be the best of both worlds. Now, what those worlds are, I have no idea...

I think they just used that drawing because it is instantly recognizable as a cut of meat. A Prime rib drawing wouldn't hold the same sway.

I think they just used that drawing because it is instantly recognizable as a cut of meat. A Prime rib drawing wouldn't hold the same sway.

This. Maybe they should have sidestepped all this controversy and gone with a picture of a cleaver.

I've been told by my marketing department on more than one occasion "Don't let facts get in the way of a good message!" Most buyers aren't thinking that hard - and see steak that looks good, and recognize "center cut" as meaning a good cut of meat. Just my speculation :)

Yep. It's probably something like that. They probably wouldn't get much widespread recognition with a center cut of ham. I still think that is what the Booker's story is referring to. Anybody think it refers to something else?

Of the 2015 batches, I have only had 2015-2, the puppy batch. It's pretty good, but just a little thinner than other recent Booker's. If I see one again at a decent price when this is gone, I would pick it up.

This. Maybe they should have sidestepped all this controversy and gone with a picture of a cleaver.

Which? ...Wally or 'The Beav'????

According to the Booker's website, Chuck and some other names we might recognize picked 2015-3. That "center cut" symbol on the third batch still has me buffaloed considering the first batch had Fred Noe in a chair and the second is his dog, Dot. I know what a center cut is during distilling, so I guess, tht Gary, TBT, O&C, etc., said, the picture is to evoke thoughts of "prime" something regardless of species.

Which? ...Wally or 'The Beav'????

That's for release 4, the "Straight-laced" batch.

Anyone have a review of the center cut batch. I'm searching for one since I finished my last bottle of 2013-6 which was outstanding.

I saw a short one on instagram but not sure if that person is a poster here - https://instagram.com/p/5LZPfewjnp/?taken-by=whiskey_wiseman

I think you'll find that most people here don't trust random reviews from the internet. What they're really looking for is reviews from people on this board who have some history that provides context for their notes.

If they were a poster here they would know how to write better tasting notes. That's not to say everyone here does, but the excellent examples here aren't hard to follow.

I bought a bottle of it a few days ago, I also have the Big Man Small Batch, which I like a lot. I'll try and open it tonight, and give some tasting notes.

I bought a bottle of it a few days ago, I also have the Big Man Small Batch, which I like a lot. I'll try and open it tonight, and give some tasting notes.

Excellent! Thanks!

Jazz, looking forward to what you think because I am a "Big" fan of the "Big Man, Small Batch." I have not yet purchased a "Center Cut" (mainly because of the BMSB in the bunker).

I haven't seen anyone mention it directly yet but the "Center Cut" Batch 2015-03 is this years "Round Table Selection". I know the last two Round Table releases Batches 2013-6 and 2014-6 were pretty well received here. It will be interesting to see what the feedback on this batch will be.

Jazz, looking forward to what you think because I am a "Big" fan of the "Big Man, Small Batch." I have not yet purchased a "Center Cut" (mainly because of the BMSB in the bunker).

I haven't opened the "Center Cut" yet, but I have opened the "Big Man, Small Batch" and really enjoyed it. It might be my favorite batch of Booker's out of about 5 I've tried. I always have a bottle open at my bar. Will try to tonight.

debating if I should pick one up, Binny's has it on sale for $45... can't seem to pull the trigger on it tho

debating if I should pick one up, Binny's has it on sale for $45... can't seem to pull the trigger on it tho

Ditto. Still looking for review from someone.

How are the prices for Booker's usually around there? If I saw a bottle for $45 around here I'd reach for my wallet.

How are the prices for Booker's usually around there? If I saw a bottle for $45 around here I'd reach for my wallet.

Not sure about there but here in MI it is $60 state min so I had never bought any til I saw it in IN for $52 normal price but they had some bottles on sale on an end cap for $36 and I bought 3 bottles. Obv kicking myself after tasting it for not buying every bottle they had.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.