Booker's named batches

danz
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 1 month later...

I guess I also have to ask if it is worth a premium price. I can get regular Bookers for $45.88. For the "Oven Buster" they want $69! That is a huge increase.

I guess I also have to ask if it is worth a premium price. I can get regular Bookers for $45.88. For the "Oven Buster" they want $69! That is a huge increase.

Interesting example of attempted opportunism making me wish they'd stuck with the numbering scheme. If they want to charge a premium, it ought to be extra aged or something. I know they say they simply choose barrels that are "ready" or "perfectly aged" and yet when they came out with the 25th anniversary that everyone seems to think is superior, the youngest barrel just happened to have matured in the rackhouse for over 10 years. As a side note, I would love to see them come out with as many more batches like that as they can.

I know of 2 other corks of Big Man Small Batch that broke in half. Luckily, I was able to get one out without the cork going into the bottle.

I have enjoyed it quite a bit. Still looking for 3-2015. Barcode is the same on all the bottles, so you can't tell by the case exterior what batch is inside....

"Oven Buster" is regular Booker's, it just happens to be the current batch through the pipeline. All Bookers, regardless of batch, should be priced the same at retail.

Yes! IMO, all Booker's is Booker's, and one should never pay more...

So true! Though in the hysteria of the current bourbon environment I shouldn't be surprised that people are seeing the named batches and thinking they should be special.

So true! Though in the hysteria of the current bourbon environment I shouldn't be surprised that people are seeing the named batches and thinking they should be special.

Silly me. Thanks guys. I thought it might be special, like the 25 anniversary Bookers. Same juice, so I will stick with my local and the cheaper price.

At lunch today, I had a neat 2 ounces of Booker's Maw Maw batch (the one with the granny glasses on the label). I got no smoky flavor, but the vanilla, warm caramel, and slight oak came through. Finish was excellent and long lasting with no bitter tail.

The surprise was: somebody two vacant seats over at the bar (which wasn't crowded) wanted to know what I was drinking since the aroma was all "maple sugar candy".

At lunch today, I had a neat 2 ounces of Booker's Maw Maw batch (the one with the granny glasses on the label). I got no smoky flavor, but the vanilla, warm caramel, and slight oak came through. Finish was excellent and long lasting with no bitter tail.

The surprise was: somebody two vacant seats over at the bar (which wasn't crowded) wanted to know what I was drinking since the aroma was all "maple sugar candy".

A new batch already? Man, I can't keep up with these. I still haven't got my hands on a Center Cut and I have an Oven Buster that I haven't opened yet. If they keep up this pace I may not be able to meet my goal of trying to taste every batch.

It said 2015-5 on it. 64% alcohol, 6yrs 7mos. The bar got it this AM. I was surprised to see it even though they usually have it (Beam-heavy selection, but no BIB which is curious). I'd asked for Booker's there about two weeks ago (my last lunch there), and they were out and "waiting for a shipment".

A new batch already? Man, I can't keep up with these. I still haven't got my hands on a Center Cut and I have an Oven Buster that I haven't opened yet. If they keep up this pace I may not be able to meet my goal of trying to taste every batch.

Everyone scurrying about to find the latest...Isn't that 'the point' of the 'new' batches Meade? :lol:

Smart marketing by Beam, and I ain't falling for it - though Harry's description of Maw Maw makes me want to sip sip.

So passing on a bottle of Dots batch for $110 was a good idea? Lol

Lol wow, I can get two bottles of bookers plus a bottle of maker's 46 at Costco for $120 out the door.

Lol wow, I can get two bottles of bookers plus a bottle of maker's 46 at Costco for $120 out the door.

Thats what I figured. Bookers around here is 45-50. Of course some stores jack it to 65. I just wanted to confirm that these different batches aren't more than just a marketing ploy.

Thats what I figured. Bookers around here is 45-50. Of course some stores jack it to 65. I just wanted to confirm that these different batches aren't more than just a marketing ploy.

I'm sure there are diffences batch to batch. I know I couldn't determine such subtleties.

Booker's has always been different from batch to batch before they started naming the different batches. They used to use alpha numeric codes to differentiate them and they weren't recognizable enough from batch to batch for most consumers. Now they are naming the batches and some believe that different batches are special and mark them up. It may be a marketing ploy, but it's still the same Booker's (and Booker's is good.) Treat it like before.

They aren't getting marked up around here (that I've seen, anyway), but I suppose Bookers doesn't sell well enough here, because I still haven't seen batch 3 or 4.

They aren't getting marked up around here (that I've seen, anyway), but I suppose Bookers doesn't sell well enough here, because I still haven't seen batch 3 or 4.

Total Wine has batch 4, FYI. Had to go there for beer on Friday and noticed that. Greg said Batch 3 is supposedly on its way but it's weird that Batch 4 is here first.

Random observation: last year there were long stretches where Booker's disappeared from all the shelves in town. But I have noticed one batch or another all around town this year without any such stretch of absence. Is this an anomaly, or have others noticed this also?

... long stretches where Booker's disappeared from all the shelves in town. But ... this year without any such stretch of absence. Is this an anomaly, or have others noticed this also?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.