Forty Creek

Merrymash Monk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Been curious about Forty Creek ever since I saw Ralfy review it and finally came across it in Massachusetts. Got both the Barrel Select and Copper Pot. So far have only tried the Barrel Select. I find the sherry finish too heavy. It overpowers the grain and barrel flavors and the whisky just tastes out of balance and kind of cough syrupy to me. Hope the Copper Pot is better. Anyone else tried this?

The Barrel Select, yes, like it rather well. I find the Sherry note as more of an accent rather than a defining theme. It would seem Mr. Hall put it in there to increase the range of complexity rather than disguise something as is often done in Canadian blends. The component whiskys are well aged and properly integrated into a pleasing whole. Much more refined than, say, Crown Royal which seems almost clumsy in comparison. Is it worth twice as much as a bottle of Canadian Club? Yes, it is.

I recently tried Glenfarclas 12 and that seemed like a nice sherry accent to me. But the sherry note in the Barrel Select does seem awfully strong. Could just be a bad batch. At some point I'll crack open the Copper Pot. Maybe I'll like that better.

I like Copper Pot better. It's more of a toasted-nut flavour, sorta like coffee cake. No sherry notes at all.

I like Copper Pot better. It's more of a toasted-nut flavour, sorta like coffee cake. No sherry notes at all.

A new limited release came out around the end of last year called Evolution that sounded promising and had decent reviews for those that like a strong wine finished character but I never saw it hit the shelves at the stores I tend to frequent. Perhaps it has and I just need to look harder. Although even if I saw it not sure I would spend the $70 or so for another lowish proof (86 proof I think) Canadian whisky.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Anyone tried the Confederation Oak Reserve???  Seems pricey at $58.99, but might be worth a try . . . . :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite FC offering. Still can't bring myself to pull the trigger for the price but it is tasty stuff IMHO...

• 3 weeks later...

I was apprehensive about the sherry, but after buying a bottle, I really enjoy it. It's probably in the same league as the Dark Batch that Beam has out now. The sherry notes are definitely there, but simply add some fruit and sweet background. It'll have a good home on my shelf.

• 4 months later...

I just picked up a bottle of the barrel select, and all I can say for the price point is wow! I could not believe how smooth it is, and it really has a very good taste.

The first thing I noticed is it does not have the char taste of bourbon. It is a softer more gentle taste that is very pleasing to the palate.

I can guarantee you this: for the price of forty creek, this will not be the last bottle I purchased, but the first of many.

18 hours ago, whiskey buyer said:

I just picked up a bottle of the barrel select, and all I can say for the price point is wow! I could not believe how smooth it is, and it really has a very good taste.

The first thing I noticed is it does not have the char taste of bourbon. It is a softer more gentle taste that is very pleasing to the palate.

I can guarantee you this: for the price of forty creek, this will not be the last bottle I purchased, but the first of many.

Looks like we have another Canadian whiskey fan.  Excellent!  Have you tried any other Canadian whiskies?  What you describe fits many Canadian whiskies.

36 minutes ago, meadeweber said:

What you describe fits many Canadian whiskies.

Yeah, that's my problem with Forty Creek. I initially thought they were going to be different. 

I've never picked up a bottle, but I have had a dram at a few local joints. I did the Select, the Copper Post and something else I don't recall. I know Forty Creek's blending process may be a little different from some other large Canadian outfits, but the result is "soft" and "smooth." 

Give me Lot 40 any day over Forty Creek. Alternatively WhistlePig or Masterson's 10yr. So here I am, again, begging for Beam to release an unblended 10 year, 45-50% Alberta Select to the US market! [Beam can __ck off with Dark Batch garbage.]

21 hours ago, IncredulousNosco said:

Yeah, that's my problem with Forty Creek. I initially thought they were going to be different. 

...I know Forty Creek's blending process may be a little different from some other large Canadian outfits..." 

Forty Creek has done a superb BRANDING job over the years convincing people they do it differently. For years John Hall talked about "meritage": distilling the 3 main grains (corn, rye, and barley) separately, aging them separately in barrels with different char levels, THEN blending after ageing. He always made it sound like FC was the only distillery in Canada doing it. Fact is, the VAST MAJORITY of Canadian whisky is done the same way!!!

For the most part, Canadian distillers do not use the American-style mash bill process of blending the grains before distillation. The only unique thing about FC, compared to other Cdn distilleries, was John Hall himself. He was better at the blending than most in Canada ... AND he was better at promoting his brands as top-shelf sipping whisky. He never really went outside the box (99% of his releases were 40% abv, chill filtered like everyone else, never put out a single barrel, never put out a high proof expression, never put out a single grain, and to my knowledge never put on the label that there were no additives - the dreaded 9.09% rule)

Sooooo it should not come as a surprise FC isn't really much different in taste profile than most other Canadian whiskies ...

Edited by portwood

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.