Jack Daniels Single Barrel - Barrel Proof

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am told it is in Atlanta or expected anytime now. I will probably give one bottle a try.

I'll be looking for one too.

Found it in a few places today and took one home. Retail in Atlanta seems consistently $64.99.

Found it in a few places today and took one home. Retail in Atlanta seems consistently $64.99.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts Rich.

Picked one up today (hadn't seen this thread before, or I would have begged a sample from Rich first!) Cracked it open shortly after. I'm a bit stuffy - so can't provide detailed notes, but at first blush - my impression was "Yup . . . that's Jack Daniels at higher proof". Which isn't a bad thing. Lot of sweetness (and that banana thing hits me on the finish), mellow, smooth despite the high proof. I read some review that thought based on color it was 7-9 yrs old. My guess would be younger based on this first taste.

Am I disappointed with spending $65? Nope - we vote with our wallets, and I'm excited to see more barrel proof offerings. Am I running out to clear the shelves? Nope - at first blush I think I'd prefer Bookers for less dough - but they're also apples & oranges. All things considered, I think it is worth trying if you like Jack!

• I like it 1

Picked one up today (hadn't seen this thread before, or I would have begged a sample from Rich first!)

Just opened up my bottle, and it's sittin' in the glass. Initial nosing is producing a big hit of alcohol, but I'm sure that will waft off. I'll go back in a bit. Nice thickness on wall of glass. Color is a nice dark mahogany...and damn impressive...

• I like it 1

...First sip is indeed, sweet. Caramel corn and a good dose of cherry. The cherry is surprising, and welcome. Juuuuust a bit of oak beginning to work its way forward. No banana, yet...

Not sure why, but at this point when I bring the glass to my nose and inhale and take my first beginning of a sip...I am reminded of Blanton's or Rick Hill Farm...

• I like it 1

...Whoa Nellie! Here comes the oak over the palate. Really firms this whiskey up. Not smokey like regular JD can sometimes get, but rather, good ol' rickhouse goodness. Caramel, some nice heat, and some S'mores notes wrapped around it. Luscious and nary a hint of 'naner. This whiskey is really showing well...

(Back to the nose which I passed over earlier, and as anticipated, the alcohol binge went kaput. Though, there is still enough to remind me that this is barrel proof whiskey. This is where the cherry notes began to lift through, along with a sweet nougat thing. Just the tiniest bit of oak at that early juncture...)

...Finish is a continuation of what evolved over the palate. Glides off a touch early, but certainly not obnoxiously short. The last hanger-on is a nice "shop class" sawed oak that let's you know you just drank a fine whiskey.

No banana. And, this still reminds me of BT#2 Mashbill bourbon.

I am truly impressed with this whiskey. It completely fulfills my expectation/hope that as JD gets bigger in proof, it gets better. I am still bewildered by my takeaway that it so reminds me of a Blanton's, or more specifically, RHF. In short, this is the most complete , balanced, and best Daniel's whiskey that I have ever had.

I just put 3 on hold at the monger...:D

• I like it 1

Thanx for all the notes, Joe. This sounds like it is pretty much what I hoped it would be. Gonna hafta grab a bottle.

Great notes Joe. Opened mine tonight for a small pour. Didn't get the same reaction as you but it's a different barrel I'm sure. Good whiskey and better than I had expected but a small sample and I wasn't paying as much attention as I could have been

• I like it 1

Thanks for the detailed and spirited notes Joe! (See what I did there? I swear it wasn't intentional).

You've convinced me to give this a shot. I'm not a big fan of standard JD but I'm willing to bet on your assessment that JD gets better as the proof goes up.

• I like it 1

This just hit Virginia, my bottle comes in at a robust 131.2 proof. The color is a beautiful dark amber color. I get a lot of maple syrup on the nose with some dark cherries coming through at the end. The taste is similar. Some good maple, a little bit of oak and some nice cherries at the end. A nice medium length finish that leaves some nice flavors in the mouth. This has a little heat but not as much as I thought for the proof. I'm a huge fan of the JDSB Silver Select but this is way better. Very impressed with it

• I like it 1

This just hit Virginia, my bottle comes in at a robust 131.2 proof. The color is a beautiful dark amber color. I get a lot of maple syrup on the nose with some dark cherries coming through at the end. The taste is similar. Some good maple, a little bit of oak and some nice cherries at the end. A nice medium length finish that leaves some nice flavors in the mouth. This has a little heat but not as much as I thought for the proof. I'm a huge fan of the JDSB Silver Select but this is way better. Very impressed with it

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, VG. Those cherry notes really surprised me in my tasting. I kinda expected a fruit to be exposed , but figured it would be banana! :D I remember some of the very good RHF Bottlings from a few years back having a similar cherry thing, and coupled with a nice oaky filler, I got an overriding similarity between the two. Very impressed with this whiskey, as well.

• I like it 1

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, VG. Those cherry notes really surprised me in my tasting. I kinda expected a fruit to be exposed , but figured it would be banana! :D I remember some of the very good RHF Bottlings from a few years back having a similar cherry thing, and coupled with a nice oaky filler, I got an overriding similarity between the two. Very impressed with this whiskey, as well.
I've had some RHF with the cherry also, the first bottle of Stagg Jr I had had some nice cherry flavors also, must be a BT thing. I had some of this JD on the rocks last night and the cherryness was a little more pronounced. Really good!
  • I like it 1

Thanks for those notes Joe. I am actually kinda excited about this whiskey now, as BT#2 is my favorite and I can embarrassingly admit that I don't mind JD either.

• I like it 1

Now you guys are gonna make me buy one.

ditto, i shouldnt have opened this thread. A store an hour a way got some and I have so far talked myself out of making the drive. might have to reconsider and message them to see if they have some left tomorrow....

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's Joe's fault that I picked up a bottle of this and I must say this is what JD should taste like. Really good and the my price @ $64.99 is less than half of what WT is charging for all of their special releases and what most NDP "craft" bottles cost.

Put such a dent in it last night that I'm going back for additional bottles today.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.