Jack Daniels Single Barrel - Barrel Proof

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

ditto, i shouldnt have opened this thread. A store an hour a way got some and I have so far talked myself out of making the drive. might have to reconsider and message them to see if they have some left tomorrow....

not only did I talk myself out of the drive, I canceled my special order for a bottle from a local store to cut down on my spending. I left my open orders standing for 1 x W12 and 3 x ETL though because they are more reasonably priced and impossible to find so I will have to buy those if they eventually come in. If the local bourbon bar ever gets this on their list I will try a pour but no bottle for me unfortunately.

• I like it 1

Been keeping my eyes out for this one, sounds intriguing, but have not seen it around these parts yet.

split a bottle with a buddy as i couldn't bring myself to pay $65 for a bottle of jack. i will preface this that while i hold some nostalgia for jack as the first bourbon/whiskey i regularly drank, these days i think the standard product is rubbish.

both me and the guy i split it with think it's a hot mess. reminds me of a younger version of the first stagg jr batch. it's a huge improvement over standard jack but that's not saying a whole lot.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've had this for a couple of few weeks now with a few revisits. As someone who loves JD Silver Select and has it as a regular pour, this is just so disappointing. I was really looking forward to this being a step up, but it's gone backwards. The high ABV just does nothing for it. I left it in a Glencarin with a lid and took it down to around the 50% ABV the Silver Select is for a side by side comparison and it's no competition. The Silver Select is, while still the same profile, fuller, creamier and just much more flavoursome. I don't know if I got a particularly bad bottle, but I'm not spending more cash to find out. I've had 5-6 bottles of Silver Select and it's been top notch each time. Is the Barrel Proof version younger?

• I like it 1

Revisit tonight to see if I was somehow deranged with my earlier reports...:D. Well, I might be a little whacked (just ask Mrssmokinjoe...) but, I still find this a really enjoyable whiskey. The delicious cherry thing is still big time present. And, I am still struck by its similarity to BT#2 Mashbill bourbons. Still will say, the best Daniel's I've ever had.

• I like it 1

I have to agree Joe. I cracked mine open this week and thought it was very enjoyable. Mine was enjoyed with a small ice chip, rested in a glencarin for about 15 minutes. I was also glad to see this priced at $53, much less than most predicted.

• I like it 1

Revisit tonight to see if I was somehow deranged with my earlier reports...:D. Well, I might be a little whacked (just ask Mrssmokinjoe...) but, I still find this a really enjoyable whiskey. The delicious cherry thing is still big time present. And, I am still struck by its similarity to BT#2 Mashbill bourbons. Still will say, the best Daniel's I've ever had.

I second that emotion, best Jack I've ever had!

Opened mine tonight. 128.2 proof. Barrel 15-5636 Bottled 10-6-15 L-20 Rick K?

Initial nose was heavy alcohol with hints of maple, vanilla and cherry.

After about 15 minutes or so for the alcohol to recede, I picked up vanilla, maple, banana, char and a hint of apple (not expecting that).

First sip. Nice mouth feel, kind of oily but not too thick or too thin. Maple, small hint of cherry then oak comes in strong mid palate. It finishes with a dryness and then a big cherry hit.

By no means would I call this a banana bomb. Overall, well done. I could see another bottle in the future.

• I like it 1

I've had a bottle open for a little over a week, I'm trying to like it. I had the the mind set that it was going to be along the lines of GD 9 year. I was wrong.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Any News if this will be coming to Canada? Alberta to be precise? I love JD Single Barrel. I would love to get my hands on a Barrel Proof.

I got a taste of this at a big whiskey event today, and it's definitely the best Jack Daniel's I've ever had. I didn't like it enough to buy a bottle, but I enjoyed it.

• 2 weeks later...

Opened my bottle last night.  To my palate, HUGE banana taste.  There are other nice flavors there but it is hard to appreciate them because of the overwhelming banana flavor.  I'm hoping this flavor will mellow as I go through the bottle because I think I would really like this whiskey if it weren't for that overpowering flavor.

9 hours ago, meadeweber said:

Opened my bottle last night.  To my palate, HUGE banana taste.  There are other nice flavors there but it is hard to appreciate them because of the overwhelming banana flavor.  I'm hoping this flavor will mellow as I go through the bottle because I think I would really like this whiskey if it weren't for that overpowering flavor.

I've heard this from others as well.  I get that banana out of the regular JD but haven't tried the SBBF.  For awhile I was interested in tracking down this bottle but not so much anymore, even given the possible barrel differences.

I've been into my bottle three times now and I don't get the banana. My experience has been a lot like what Joe described.

Been to my bottle a few times now and I really like this one, now that you mention the banana thing that may be the descriptive I was looking for, I thought some kind of fruit. Either way this one will be on my to buy list when this one runs dry. I always like the SB offering, but that was it, got mine for $62.99, then saw it elsewhere for $59.99. It's everywhere now, just wish OWA 107 was also.

On 12/15/2015, 11:35:04, dSculptor said:

Been to my bottle a few times now and I really like this one, now that you mention the banana thing that may be the descriptive I was looking for, I thought some kind of fruit. Either way this one will be on my to buy list when this one runs dry. I always like the SB offering, but that was it, got mine for $62.99, then saw it elsewhere for $59.99. It's everywhere now, just wish OWA 107 was also.

To me it tastes exactly like banana flavored candy.  Have you ever had Runts banana or a banana taffy?  It tastes exactly like that.  

I think that the observance of the banana note in Daniel's may be similar to the observance of the vitamin note in Dickel as discussed on that thread , in that possibly one is wired for it?  Or, not?  Or, varying degrees?  If that phenomena is true, I guess we could say everything is wired in.  Interesting thought considering our hobby leads us to glean through tasting notes of others who may be wired differently.  I guess Cofer isn't a complete rube then, for getting sheetrock mud in Old Exra 7 yr...:D

Personally, I found no banana in this iteration, though I do get it in the regular JD.  But, I'll admit that the banana fades to my palate as Daniels goes up in proof and age.  I remember the banana screamed at me in their young rye that was at the gazebo a couple of years ago.  

Interesting stuff.

• I like it 1

15 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

I think that the observance of the banana note in Daniel's may be similar to the observance of the vitamin note in Dickel as discussed on that thread , in that possibly one is wired for it?  Or, not?  Or, varying degrees?  If that phenomena is true, I guess we could say everything is wired in.  Interesting thought considering our hobby leads us to glean through tasting notes of others who may be wired differently.  

Joe, I was thinking the same thing.  I am going to try to have others try my bottle as well as get a sample from a friend who has a different bottle that he does not get any banana from.  I'll report back with my findings.

• I like it 1

I seems to have a high tolerance for the "banana thing" myself. I rarely get it in any of the JD products and when I do it seems subtle to me when others say it is overpowering.  I don't seem to have the strong Flintstone vitamin gene for Dickel either.

Than again I am pretty "special"...

B)

• I like it 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/16/2015, 2:04:04, meadeweber said:

Joe, I was thinking the same thing.  I am going to try to have others try my bottle as well as get a sample from a friend who has a different bottle that he does not get any banana from.  I'll report back with my findings.

So, I've continued to drink from my bottle, I've given a sample to my friend who is an experienced bourbon drinker, and I've tasted a sample from another bottle (batch).  Here are my findings.

The banana flavor has actually mellowed some as the bottle has been open but it is still present.  I'm picking up a lot of other good flavors now, especially barrel char.

My friend noted the banana flavor in my bottle but maybe not to as much of a degree as I did.

In the sample from my friend from a different batch (in which he did not notice any banana flavor), I did pick up the banana flavor but it was very subtle and no where close to the degree in which it was present in my batch.

I can see why many people like this whiskey (especially if you are one who is not "sensitive" to the banana flavor) but for me, I will enjoy this one and will not be buying another.

• I like it 1

• 4 weeks later...

Opened mine tonight. Payed 57 plus tax. I have to say I'm impressed with this. Much much better then I expected. The classic jack flavor is there. But in the back round. 

I really like this stuff!  On my third bottle overall and third pour of the night and it has become one of my favorites.

• I like it 1

• 3 months later...

I love my bottle of 130.5 proof.  I don't get the banana flavor but then I like bananas and eat them daily.  I have had this bottle a while now (stumbled across it some months ago) and noticed at my new/local Kroger they have multiples of this and the regular SB so it should be easy to replace when eventually gone I hope.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.