Leopold Bros, Maryland-Style Rye Whiskey - Bottled in Bond Edition!

tanstaafl2
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I have been anxiously awaiting this release for oh, I dunno, about 3+ years since the news back in April 2012 that it was likely to appear in oh, about 3+ years!

Sooooo, any update? :cool:

Post number 9 seems to indicate closer to 2016. Though, the page you linked suggests 2015. Thirsty just thinking about it.

All atwitter with anticipation, looking forward to these new Rye expressions on the Horizon.

This has got me excited as well. The "regular" version was the first micro distilled whiskey that I was like: "Wow! This is good!"

We'll have BIB Maryland Rye here in 2016. Problem for you folks, is that, as is the case for most US whiskey distillers, is that our demand far outstrips our supply. We will only sell the BIB at the distillery tasting room for the next few years. Great reason to book a trip to Denver!

So what that means is that we're about 3 years away from having any meaningful quantities of BIB Leopold Bros. Maryland Rye that will ship to other States. And the same goes for our Leopold Bros. BIB Bourbon. The good news is that when 2018 hits, we'll have plenty of BIB Rye and Bourbon out on the shelves. Or at least I think so.

I attached a few pictures from the distillery we opened last year for those who may be interested.

Top left is Erich spreading a new piece of malt on the floor.

Top right is a photo of the distillery, with the raw barley silo on the left, the kiln in the center, and the tasting room on the right.

Bottom left are our open fermenters. We use these for our vodka, rye and bourbon mash production. We distill on grain.

Bottom right is our dunnage warehouse, similar to what you see in Scotland. The earthen floors add badly needed humidity to the warehouse, which helps reduce the angel's share. We barrel our "regular" whiskeys at 49% abv, and our BIB's at 54% abv.

Any questions, fire away.....

post-5940-14489822634582_thumb.jpg

post-5940-1448982263514_thumb.jpg

post-5940-14489822635619_thumb.jpg

post-5940-1448982263619_thumb.jpg

"Any questions, fire away . . ."

OK, you want to adopt us? We don't eat much, and we clean up nice and presentable.

BTW, your Navy Strength American Gin (Batch 1401) makes wonderful fresh fruit cocktails.

Harry

Harry will you pick me up on the way?

Great stuff Todd, impressive even, gives me another reason to plan a trip.

I wonder where all the Malt influence comes from.............. Looking forward to trying it. Thanks for letting us know.

When will your products be available in MD or PA (If they are available in MD anywhere already, where can I find them?)?

• 3 weeks later...

Apologies, I just saw this.

We will likely enter the Maryland market next year, although you won't see any of the Rye out there for a few years as the whiskey matures.

This was something we made in small quantities until we opened our new distillery. It will take some time to catch up.

Thank you for your interest.

Todd Leopold

• 3 months later...

For those that haven't seen it yet the Leopold Bros. are up to more fascinating distilling with the introduction of a new "old style" multi chamber still that Chuck Cowdery describes in a recent blog post.

Something else to look forward to from the Leopold Bros. down the road!

It was interesting to see that David Wondrich (as noted in the comments) has been to visit as well. Perhaps a future collaboration to look forward to?

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Wondrich was just out to have a look at the first operating three chamber still in over 50 years.   No collaborations are in mind at this time.

Mr. Cowdery does a nice job of explaining how the still works, as well as the overall scope of the project, but if there are any questions, fire away.

Thanks for your interest, and Happy Holidays!

unnamed-6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.