BOTM 8/15: Elijah Craig 12 year old

fishnbowljoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

EC12 is one of my favorites. I find it more consistent than similar aged, somewhat economical bourbons such as ER10 and HMcKBiB10. It's not usually available in my area, so when I'm other places, I usually pick up a bottle for reinforcements.

The new label freaked me out of a bit at first because "12 years old" is not prominently displayed on front, the back label references being aged 12 years.

There was a time a year or two ago that some here were slagging it for being too "woody" which has never been my experience. But if it is too woody for some people's tastes, it would make a perfect bourbon for vatting.

This reminds me, Hank. Boy, has EC12 suffered its share of presumed deficiencies over the years. There was the great "cork taint" issue a number of years ago where anybody who didn't care for it went overboard on caustic descriptions involving cork taint. Then, it was the mysterious "metallic taste" phenomena, that was all the rage. I've had my fair share of it over the years, and never got any of these, nor the sawdust oak, nor do I think that the profile has changed with the latest label change. I read somewhere where some advised anyone who would listen not to buy it because it was now "hot and thin since the label change"...:rolleyes:

Could give a whiskey a complex...;)

I've always enjoyed EC12, always have it on the bar, but I look at it as a BigBoy Bourbon. Not, from a proof standpoint necessarily (though, it's proof is ample enough), but rather it's age, body, and robust character takes one to another level in the bourbon experience. Wonderfully, this next step is available affordably, which further solidifies it as one of the great whiskies in Bourbonia.

This reminds me, Hank. Boy, has EC12 suffered its share of presumed deficiencies over the years. There was the great "cork taint" issue a number of years ago where anybody who didn't care for it went overboard on caustic descriptions involving cork taint. Then, it was the mysterious "metallic taste" phenomena, that was all the rage. I've had my fair share of it over the years, and never got any of these, nor the sawdust oak, nor do I think that the profile has changed with the latest label change. I read somewhere where some advised anyone who would listen not to buy it because it was now "hot and thin since the label change"...:rolleyes:

I've always enjoyed EC12, always have it on the bar, but I look at it as a BigBoy Bourbon. Not, from a proof standpoint necessarily (though, it's proof is ample enough), but rather it's age, body, and robust character takes one to another level in the bourbon experience. Wonderfully, this next step is available affordably, which further solidifies it as one of the great whiskies in Bourbonia.

Too true on all counts, Joe. I would be hard-pressed to think of any other quality whiskey that has taken so much abuse in the last four or five years. Like you, I never once experienced any of those "conditions" that people were reporting and have consistently enjoyed every bottle I've purchased. And I wholeheartedly agree with your "big boy" comment, putting it in the same category as OGD114 in terms of robust character and great value.

P.S.-When I initially glanced at the first sentence of your post on my phone I thought, "Huh. He's taken to calling me Hanky Boy!"[emoji3]

Edited by unclebunk

Well said. I don't have the breadth of experience as you, but I find the same qualities in this whiskey that you describe. Though I didn't like it at first, I adjusted to it and *poof* just like that, it's in my top three or so.

Ec12 always been near the top of favorite pours for me, however it's been a while since I purchased a regular bottle, since last year I bought a case of a store select that was simply outstanding, and am still milking these last few I have. When I was buying the regular's, I was buying it all the time, and finally convinced the Ls to get in some handles of the stuff. Great deal -- great juice, unfortunately I can foresee this going NAS, then who knows what it will be like.

I'm hopeful that Heaven Hill's explanation on the label change is a straight forward answer and it's simply to fall in line with other label configurations under their umbrella. I'd really hate to see them move away from this being an honest 12 year aged bourbon. My initial skepticism has softened and I'm optimistic that it will remain so.

To mirror some of the opinions given above, I don't feel anything has changed in the flavor or texture of EC12 since the label change. This remains one of the most consistent bourbons I regularly keep on hand. Because of that consistency and quality, for me it establishes the standard for "extra aged" bourbon that I normally compare most 10, 12, & 15 year bourbons against. A lot of them fall short and a few manage to top it but almost always at a much higher price. EC12 sets the bar pretty high.

I'm hopeful that Heaven Hill's explanation on the label change is a straight forward answer and it's simply to fall in line with other label configurations under their umbrella. I'd really hate to see them move away from this being an honest 12 year aged bourbon. My initial skepticism has softened and I'm optimistic that it will remain so.

I just bought Elijah Craig Small Batch for a friends birhtday, is this the same as the 12yr? I did not see an age statement on the bottle, is this the label change you're speaking of MOWhiksey?

It should still give the 12 year age statement on the back label. It's included in the company's descriptive paragraph about the bourbon.

The 12 year age statement used to be prominently displayed on the front label where the barrel image is now.

Edited by MOwhisky4me

I have liked EC12 in the past but the last two bottles I bought were not good. Watery with little flavor, so I have not bought it in about 2 years

As is the case with many of my staples, I suppose I am fortunate to have a stockpile of store select single barrels of EC12. So while I can't comment on the standard release, I am a huge fan of these 6th floor and 7th floor single barrels. Oaky, sweet, caramel goodness, age stated, and well under $30 for the bottle. Terrific stuff.

I have liked EC12 in the past but the last two bottles I bought were not good. Watery with little flavor, so I have not bought it in about 2 years

Maybe it's too much ECBP but a local place did a barrel and while delicious it just seemed way too watered down. I remember drinking this whiskey in the early 2000s thinking it was so huge and inaccessible. How palates change.

Hidden

Regular old FRSB today after work. Tasting mighty nice today. :yum:

Cheers! Joe

I just enjoyed some last night from the bottle I have had open for several months. I have had consistency issues with EC12 standard issue ( I have never come across a store select). I first had it at the distillery and enjoyed the combo of sweetness, nuttiness and just the right touch of oak age. I bough a bottle in NYC on a work trip and it was VERY different with a eucalyptus note ( maybe what some refer to as menthol?). It was consistent through each pour over several days so it was a characteristic of that bottle and I wasn't a fan. Once I returned home I had a pour from my bunkered EC12 and it was as I recalled from the distillery. I haven't had many bottles of EC12 but the non eucalyptus version is a solid bourbon at a great price just wish I knew which version was in the bottle before purchase.

I bought a bottle this week for testing purposes only. I'm certainly not one for a lot of tasting notes but here are my thoughts on it. This whiskey smelled awesome. It smelled way sweeter than it actually was to me. I get the age in there, quite a complex taste without being overly oaky or hot. I will say that I prefer a little sweeter bourbon than this one, but for the price, I can see it being a regular on my shelf. I drank it neat and then with a little ice, I much preferred a little ice. Tonight could have been a bad night to test this one as I had a pour of ETL at a restaurant just before this and I can tell you that ETL has quickly become one of my favorites. Haven't seen any on a store shelf yet, but when I do, a few of them are coming home with me.

Great bourbon, kind of just right in regard to sweetness and oak. A couple years ago I had some consistency issues with this and EC18 but lately they've all been good. For anyone in VA this is on sales this month for $25

Maybe it's too much ECBP but a local place did a barrel and while delicious it just seemed way too watered down. I remember drinking this whiskey in the early 2000s thinking it was so huge and inaccessible. How palates change.

Honestly I've forgotten what the off the shelf version tastes like. I found that I was always MEH on the off the shelf versions I picked up. That being said, over the years I've collected multiple Private Selections that really resonated with me. I doubt I'll drink the regular offering for several years going forward due to having so many of the Private Selections on hand. Hopefully in the future the Private Selections come back, when done right, this is one of my regular go to pours.

This was probably my go to bourbon when I first started a few years back along with FRSmB. I think ECBP is still my favorite everyday "premium" pour too. That being said, recent bottles I've gotten have just tasted way over oaked to me. I'm sure my tastes are changing but I'm hoping not that much. I'll still grab a private selection of EC12 any time I see one.

Honestly I've forgotten what the off the shelf version tastes like. I found that I was always MEH on the off the shelf versions I picked up. That being said, over the years I've collected multiple Private Selections that really resonated with me. I doubt I'll drink the regular offering for several years going forward due to having so many of the Private Selections on hand. Hopefully in the future the Private Selections come back, when done right, this is one of my regular go to pours.

You've saved me the trouble of posting. Thx.

EC12 is rocking tonight. And Fozzy's EC12/Larceny combo too. Chuck in The Band and you've got a perfect evening!eaeacdc9b7d81a161879d06f63338394.jpg

That EC12/Larceny mix I picked up from someone on Instagram and/or here. It is a good blend though for sure. I might have to revisit both of those myself tonight.

I always have an EC12 open, and one in the bunker. But I reach for ECBP straight, or with water much more often. EC12 is an easily accessible, affordable, and enjoyable bourbon.

The EC12 & Larceny blend is one I've been enjoying for quite a while. They really seem to compliment each other well. I don't do a lot of vatting, but that is one I keep in my liquor cabinet all the time.

That EC12/Larceny mix I picked up from someone on Instagram and/or here. It is a good blend though for sure. I might have to revisit both of those myself tonight.
Edited by MOwhisky4me

Just finished a pour of EC12 and enjoyed it very much.

I always have an EC12 open, and one in the bunker. But I reach for ECBP straight, or with water much more often. EC12 is an easily accessible, affordable, and enjoyable bourbon.

• jbutler unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.