Cointreau is $$$, what other triple sec?

bdrinker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

What good quality triple sec other than cointreau, do you use for making cocktails like margaritas?

Grand Marnier and Cointreau are my favorites. For a basic inexpensive mixer I use Mr Stacks triple sec at $7. I tried the Patron Citronge ($18) hoping it was a good option, but it taste like chemicals and corn syrup to me.

Edited by Darwin

What good quality triple sec other than cointreau, do you use for making cocktails like margaritas?

I like the Solerno Blood Orange for a change of pace if you can find it. Combier brand is similar to Cointreau and maybe a bit cheaper. Senior brand Curacao might be a bit more of the classic for margaritas as it is the only Curacao still made on the island of Curacao. But my favorite is probably Ferrand Dry Curacao. And for something a bit different but just as good there is Clement Creole Shrubb.

One brand that may be a touch cheaper but still decent is Brizzard. I don't generally care much for the other more generic brands like Hiram Walker, Bols and DeKyper.

Some people like to jazz up their margarita with Grand Marnier which is good but not much cheaper. It is also not a typical triple sec/curacao and has a cognac base making it a bit richer and can sometimes dominate a drink if you don't use a light hand!

But not sure if any of those is much cheaper!

A nice article on these and other orange liqueurs.

Edited by tanstaafl2

I've tried many alternatives, but I've finally decided that Cointreau is the only good choice for me. My second choice is Bauchant Orange Liqueur, which is more like Grand Marnier with less cognac (GM has too much for me). Both of these use bitter oranges, which is a key ingredient for me.

I've used Mathilde Orange Liqueur as a cheap alternative.

Not a true replacement, but it's decent enough for the price.

For margaritas, you might try Agavero. It's an orange liqueur made with tequila.

I still stick with Cointreau most of the time, though. There's a place that I can get it for $32/1L, which isn't too bad.

I wasted a lot of money on various cheap triple secs that I ultimately ended up dumping down the sink. If I could go back I would have just stuck with Grand Marnier and/or Cointreau (buying a small bottle if short on cash). As it turned out, the more tequilas I tried and the more margaritas I mixed, the less I tended to use of the orange stuff as a little really does go a long way, making the cost per serving quite minimal.

One other idea though is to substitute a few dashes of a good orange bitters (at less than $10 a bottle). Different but can add interest.

Edited by BigBoldBully

For margaritas, you might try Agavero. It's an orange liqueur made with tequila.

I still stick with Cointreau most of the time, though. There's a place that I can get it for $32/1L, which isn't too bad.

Agavero Orange is another nice alternative because it starts with a tequila base as noted.

Don't confuse with the regular Agavero which is a tequila liqueur that is more like a bottled tequila old fashioned. Although it is not bad on its own with a dash or two of chocolate mole bitters!

Right, I was referring to the Agavero Orange. I've never tried the regular Agavero, but it sounds like it's worth trying!

For me, Cointreau is that standard for a reason: nothing else really compares. Yes, it's expensive, but it's worth it. Grand Marnier is a totally different animal, but also the gold standard for what it is.

• 1 month later...

I don't think there is any replacement for Cointreau. That's why it has a permanent place in my bar.

What Winston said. But like tanstaafl2 (I think) and some others have said, Solerno is a nice "other".

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure about the different less expensive types of "triple sec" mentioned here, but the ones that I've looked at and have compared to either Cointreau or GM (40% ABV) have all had a lower ABV and do not compare in quality. Cointreau can play a huge part in high quality Margarita's. When Cointreau or GM are used it adds an extra alcohol kick to the drink and makes a tastier marg. Some people do not even use Cointreau in their margs. It depends on if you like your margs on the sweeter or more traditional sour side. In MHO a great marg finds that spot between sweet and sour without losing the tequila in the mix.

I've been using the Clement Shrub as a sub for Coinreau and Gran Marnier for the past year or so. I like it.

Good catch, Wade. I use their cognac as a mixer regularly.

Cointreau is a good solid dusty find for me. A lot of out of the way stores have ancient bottles that they are happy to sell at a discount.

Also, Mandarin Napoleon is a great, slightly cheaper substitute that uses quality cognac, like Grand Marnier.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.