Sipping rum suggestions for beginners

bdrinker
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 minutes ago, Kane said:

After getting punched in the face with Smith&Cross, and given my affinity to Appleton, I have decided to seriously explore big funk bombs. Planning a SBSBSBS[...] this weekend. Any classics that I should try?

If you can find the Stolen Overproof, I would recommend that, Hamilton Jamaican Pot Still Gold, for something a bit different any of the Hamilton St. Lucia Rum's.  

• I like it 1

The Stolen Overproof and Hamiltons are good suggestions. The RUM FIRE is probably the biggest funk for the buck, but these all register on the scale in some capacity (at least to me).

IMG_8141.jpg.801ac9ae5bad462c94025ff2f29089bf.jpg

• I like it 1

31 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

The Stolen Overproof and Hamiltons are good suggestions. The RUM FIRE is probably the biggest funk for the buck, but these all register on the scale in some capacity (at least to me).

That reminds me I need to grab a new bottle of Hampden Rum Fire. Of course if we are talking clear overproof Wray and Nephew is always an easily attainable option as well. 

4 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Batavia-Arrack is a fun, and not often seen, choice. While it spends most of its time in cocktails for me it is a nice drink on its own every now and a again. Agricoles, both blanc and lightly aged, can provide a different kind of funk. Probably hard to find but the Barrel Rum #1 (supposedly Hampden but I don't think it has been clearly identified as such) has some kick to it as well and at 134+ proof it can handle some water and still punch above its weight.

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Thank you very much for the illustrated recommendations in both threads :) I'll go on a hunt for these... as soon as my garage door unfreezes.

I kept passing on the Stolen Rum, for some reason thinking it a cheap cocktail rum. Packaging matters indeed. I hope I can find it again. But at least I know where to get the Barrel #1, so that's already in the cart.

11 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thank you very much for the illustrated recommendations in both threads :) I'll go on a hunt for these... as soon as my garage door unfreezes.

I kept passing on the Stolen Rum, for some reason thinking it a cheap cocktail rum. Packaging matters indeed. I hope I can find it again. But at least I know where to get the Barrel #1, so that's already in the cart.

In regards to the Stolen, they have a few releases most of which are Smoked/Spiced as far as I know, the 375's of the Limited Edition Overproof are what we at talking about.

Edited by kevinbrink

• 1 month later...

Throwing this in here to keep from cluttering the "What rum are you drinking today" thread:

So far my very short rum journey has seen Pyrat XO (~7 years ago?), Appleton Estate Signature Blend, and Foursquare Zinfandel Cask. The Foursquare is by far the best I've had so far. I remember liking the Pyrat but it was rather sweet, I think I'm tending toward low sugar/no sugar added rums. The Appleton estate has good flavor but lacks depth, I'd love to try it at 50%+. It also has a bit of numbing in the back of the throat that reminds me of Chloraseptic sore throat spray I used to use as a kid. It's not unpleasant really, but different.

For my next move, I have a request into my local store to order Hamilton Demerera and/or Navy Strength. I struck out on Smith and Cross locally so I may have to bite the bullet and order it online. Barbancourt 8yr and Pusser's are also on my short list and are available locally. As much as I like whiskey, I find myself being pulled toward rum more and more lately. Could be worse, I suppose.

• 2 months later...

Curious, was there a particular reason folks recommended the Hamilton Jamaica Gold, but not Black?

Edit: Also, are the non cask-strength Hamilton St. Lucia rums worthy? In all my search I could only find the 2008 batch, which is 5yo, the youngest release I'm aware of.

Edited by Kane

7 hours ago, Kane said:

Curious, was there a particular reason folks recommended the Hamilton Jamaica Gold, but not Black?

Edit: Also, are the non cask-strength Hamilton St. Lucia rums worthy? In all my search I could only find the 2008 batch, which is 5yo, the youngest release I'm aware of.

It's said the the Black differs from the Gold only in that it features caramel colorant-- but I actually prefer the Black as it's a touch less sweet with bitter notes reminiscent of Steen's Cane Syrup.

The only 46.5% Hamilton St. Lucia I have open is the 9yo 2004-- although I do have the 2006 and 2008 here. I just did a quick side by side with the 46% BBR St. Lucia 11yo and preferred the Berry's.

927416442_ScreenShot2018-05-14at6_03_44AM.thumb.jpg.1d5aba8f7a575a34bea8f408e06d8531.jpg

IMG_9185.thumb.jpg.a17cc7e9337bd103682e01c7d51848ef.jpg

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

It's said the the Black differs from the Gold only in that it features caramel colorant-- but I actually prefer the Black as it's a touch less sweet with bitter notes reminiscent of Steen's Cane Syrup.

The only 46.5% Hamilton St. Lucia I have open is the 9yo 2004-- although I do have the 2006 and 2008 here. I just did a quick side by side with the 46% BBR St. Lucia 11yo and preferred the Berry's.

927416442_ScreenShot2018-05-14at6_03_44AM.thumb.jpg.1d5aba8f7a575a34bea8f408e06d8531.jpg

IMG_9185.thumb.jpg.a17cc7e9337bd103682e01c7d51848ef.jpg

Ah thanks, you saved the day once again. I do have easy access to Berry's 11, so maybe I should just go for that one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.