Tate & Co. Distillery

smokinjoe
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Looks like Chip Tate is making progress in forging ahead with starting his new distillery. Highly respected by many here on SB, and his next works have been much anticipated. Looks like things are progressing on the distillery construction side (I think it's pretty cool that he builds this stuff himself), and has a new website.

http://tatedistillery.com

https://mobile.twitter.com/chiptatewhisky/status/616746838079569921/video/1

http://m.wacotrib.com/news/business/balcones-founder-tate-building-nd-distillery-from-scratch/article_40336513-9db1-5211-af18-217fffcb23ab.html?mode=jqm

Thanks for the links Joe! I wish Chip nothing but the best, and look forward to the day we can all enjoy the end product(s) of his new endeavor.

Ditto to what Paddy said. I hope Chip does very well, and is blessed with no further business issues that prevent him from pursuing his real passion; Distilling Interesting Stuff!

As am I. His works are well respected, though I honestly must say that I have never had much experience with them. As I've stated here many times, I am not a fan of craft distillery whiskey. But, I like this guys style. I like when a guy picks himself off the dirt, brushes himself off, and dives right back in. I'll give it a go just for that, and I hope he is successful. The proof will be in the pudding though, as they say.

As am I. His works are well respected, though I honestly must say that I have never had much experience with them. As I've stated here many times, I am not a fan of craft distillery whiskey. But, I like this guys style. I like when a guy picks himself off the dirt, brushes himself off, and dives right back in. I'll give it a go just for that, and I hope he is successful. The proof will be in the pudding though, as they say.

PUDDING??? Huh? I Thought Chip was still going to be distilling spirits, albeit at a different location. ..Or are you telling me he's gonna make 'Distilled Pudding'? That sounds like it would be 'Whangy'! I'm so confused!

PUDDING??? Huh? I Thought Chip was still going to be distilling spirits, albeit at a different location. ..Or are you telling me he's gonna make 'Distilled Pudding'? That sounds like it would be 'Whangy'! I'm so confused!

Rich you might want to put down that last glass of bourbon my friend.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting.

I wish Chip the best, and cannot wait to try his next project.

(And i wish Winston and the rest of the Balcones gang success as well).

• 4 weeks later...

Thanx for posting that link, Joe. Though I do think the writer had a fairly transparent admiration for Chip (me too), the article was a great compilation of the salient points in the history of the rise and fall of Chip Tate at Balcones, and the eventual undertaking that he is now involved in. Very Interesting! (As Artie Johnson used to say with a very fake German accent.) :lol: (If you understand that reference.... You're OLD!) :shocked:

Yeah, I thought that was one of the most balanced pieces of journalism I've read in a while, even with the aforementioned admiration. He seemed to be pretty fair to both sides and expose warts everywhere

What do you all think about his foray into brandy, Texas brandy at that? It seems like every other person in America is drinking wine, and that brandy should have more of a following from them alone. But it doesn't seem to.

I think it's a smart move. Easier and cheaper to produce, Texas brandy made from Texas wine is a natural. If a few celebrity chefs ever start promoting brandy cocktails as the perfect accompaniment to food and wine we could see a new trend take off like a rocket.

What do you all think about his foray into brandy, Texas brandy at that? It seems like every other person in America is drinking wine, and that brandy should have more of a following from them alone. But it doesn't seem to.

An interesting choice for sure, IMO. But, the man has had a penchant for seeing things others don't, and being very successful with it. So, I'm guessing there is good opportunity with brandy. Dude's got vision, I'll give him that.

I was surprised to read that Texas grows more grapes than any other state other than California, but still can't keep up with demand. I would never have guessed. I suppose they drink a lot of wine there, too. And, knowing how the good folks of Texas tend to support Texas things, I guess there's a big ol' nearby market ready for his brandy.

There are little winerys all over rural Texas in all corners of the state from places that get 50-60 inches of rain a year (East Texas) to the high plains around Lubbock that get 18-25 inches a year. It is pretty amazing really, because it would seem to me that beer and whiskey are more popular but I guess not. I like brandy OK, but more than 2 glasses of wine does not agree with me.

Well, hopefully the Texans don't drink up everything he makes. I recall an interview a Denver radio station had with Dan Garrison and he noted that CO was quickly become one of their biggest markets. I haven't splurged $80+ for his, but here's hoping Chip let's some of his bottlers get to CO.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.