FEW Rye

biskuit
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Nothing here on FEW's rye whiskey? (or maybe the search function just isn't good at finding it). It was '13 Whisky Advocate’s Craft Whiskey of the Year, and while it's on the pricey side, I find it pretty fascinating stuff.

Nothing here on FEW's rye whiskey? (or maybe the search function just isn't good at finding it). It was '13 Whisky Advocate’s Craft Whiskey of the Year, and while it's on the pricey side, I find it pretty fascinating stuff.

The rye in particular seems to get rave reviews. In addition to the rye they make a bourbon and gins. I have only tried samples of it and that has been over a year ago. The rye is better than the bourbon but that is not necessarily saying much. It has more to do with rye holding up better with the grainy character than a bourbon for me. While I think there is some potential in it I find it to be too expensive for a young tasting grainy tannic whiskey. I don't know if they use small barrels or not but it tastes like it. As best I can tell the website gives no indication but what pictures there are seem to confirm they are on the small side.

I'd say that for now you are better off sticking with their gin, especially the barrel aged gin, because the rye (and bourbon) need more time, preferably in a bigger barrel. YMMV!

I'm with you on the bourbon being really young, and also think the barrel aged gin is a good bet (I just put up notes on the rye/bourbon/gin/barrel gin all at http://www.thirstysouth.com/2015/08/13/few-spirits-a-few-quick-notes/) - but the rye really seemed to be in a good place to me (though I also agree it would likely be better with another couple years). Don't know about the barrels - I'll send them a note and see what they say.

On the question above, I checked in with their PR manager, who says: "We're actually using a mix of barrel sizes from quarter-cask up to the standard 53-gallon barrels. Paul blends different size casks of different ages together to get the flavor he's looking for. In recent years, we've been moving toward a higher and higher proportion of the 53-gallon barrels."

On the question above, I checked in with their PR manager, who says: "We're actually using a mix of barrel sizes from quarter-cask up to the standard 53-gallon barrels. Paul blends different size casks of different ages together to get the flavor he's looking for. In recent years, we've been moving toward a higher and higher proportion of the 53-gallon barrels."

Well, that is encouraging. It is still rather spendy for what it is though. Something like $60-$70 a bottle as I recall.

That's my halting point, the price. I understanding it costs more to produce but what's that to me. Those folks never called up offering to help pay my bills so I'm under no obligation to subsidize their operation.

When I pay more for a bottle of Cognac I identifiably get more and if I pay a lot I get a lot. Bourbon prices are all over the map and if I'm not careful I can pay Stagg prices for Benchmark quality.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.