I don't wanna be *that* guy...

GrPeMi
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

But after 2 disappointing Manhattans while eating out over the last few weeks, do I really need to order:

<Brand> Rye Manhattan, stirred, up in a rocks glass

??

"up in a rocks glass" already makes me sound pretentious (but I hate the coupe and the poorer substitute, the martini glass). Besides, in a rocks glass is how dad drank them.

But really, do I really have to sound like a tool by specifying it stirred? Yes, I know, I could have sent it back, and perhaps I should have but I doubt the server (and perhaps the bartender, even) would have understood why it mattered, and we were out with friends we don't get to see much, and I didn't want to turn it into a "thing".

It's bad enough I have to deal with well vermouth, since calling my vermouth really takes me in to d-baggery territory, so maybe I should just stop ordering them when we go out to eat someplace I can't watch the bartender make it.

Just needed to vent...

What do you hate about ordering a cocktail, or the way a restaurant made your cocktail of choice?

For me, cocktails are like tattoos. You only get one at a place where you trust the person doing the work. And then, you trust that their best work is better than your preconceived ideas. If you have to be too specific, then the product still probably won't be great.

For me, cocktails are like tattoos. You only get one at a place where you trust the person doing the work. And then, you trust that their best work is better than your preconceived ideas. If you have to be too specific, then the product still probably won't be great.

Yeah, it's the same reason I don't order a Margarita at a Mexican restaurant. Takes way too many instructions to get something other than a glass of sugary lime syrup.

I almost NEVER order cocktails when 'out'. ...For the reasons stated and implied.

I like 'em the way I like 'em, and rarely are they made that way without detailed instructions to the barkeep... and then, still usually aren't right.

If I order and liquor it's generally just 'straight up with water by' or 'on a rock or two' (depending upon size of the rocks). ...And, believe it or not, I've even had both of those requests screwed up.

I agree with Kickert too. I spent too much of my early twenties assuming that bartenders at beer joints were frustrated mixologists. I was like the person who orders the salad at a BBQ joint and then gets mad when it is terrible. I would then order a martini or Manhattan or old fashioned and always be disappointed. The last straw was when I got an "old fashioned" made with 7-Up and garnished with a lime.

Order beer at a beer bar, wine at a wine bar, cocktails at a cocktail bar. That's my philosophy now. Life is too short to drink 7 Up Old Fashioneds.

OK....good to know it isn't just me. At a number of our usual places, I don't even think about it, and the Manhattans are reliably good. One of the recent disappointing ones was on vacation in Monterey, CA, and the shaken Manhattan was at a place we'd never been to before, that has a reputation of being fancy, but really just turned out to be expensive.

I think if anybody ever managed to truly screw up a "neat" order, I'd probably stop drinking while out altogether. A place a few months ago came close...A Booker's 25 served in what was essentially an oversized shot glass (maybe 3-4 oz. capacity). How do you get any air in that? And this was at a place that fashions itself as a cocktail bar.

I'll trust the bartender if I'm at a upmarket establishment known for it's drinks, or a bar that specializes in cocktails.... otherwise I order neat if there's something I like on offer... or mixed with coke if there's not and they only have the typical Jim/Jack offering. I should add though, that in the places where I do order a cocktail, they only get one shot at impressing me. If I don't like it, I don't order a second.

Many years ago while in grad school, I worked in a dive bar kitchen - pizzas, burgers, basic sandwiches -- but we had a rotating clientele - afternoon retirees, going home shooters, beer for the college kids at night. Based on that experience, I'm that guy in places where I'm pretty sure the bartender knows me well enough to know I'm not being a smartass. Other places, I take my chances only on the first one. But like an elephant, I never forget. Oh, and on occasion, if it looks like the bartender knows what's what, I'll ask for a surprise - "What's your best?" or "What do YOU want to make?" Rarely do I get burned with the bartender's choice.

Oh, and on occasion, if it looks like the bartender knows what's what, I'll ask for a surprise - "What's your best?" or "What do YOU want to make?" Rarely do I get burned with the bartender's choice.

That is almost always my favorite choice in a bar that appears to know what's what and the way I like to judge the quality of the cocktail program. I too have rarely been burned.

Most excellent advice gentlemen.

• 3 weeks later...

If it seems like they have a decent whiskey selection, I'll give them a shot to make a decent cocktail without specific instruction.

If they get it right, I'll trust them with the next one.

If they don't get it right, I usually don't even bother ordering one with specific instructions, because I don't think they will be able to follow.

Occasionally I get pleasantly surprised when they ask if I want my Manhattan with Rye...

That is almost always my favorite choice in a bar that appears to know what's what and the way I like to judge the quality of the cocktail program. I too have rarely been burned.

Same here. A lot of bartenders tend to get a kick from getting creative license with someone that will appreciate it.

I tend to be that guy, been burnt too many times even in upmarket bars.

The last time was a manhattan with WAYYY to much lemon peel, I didnt want any to begin with.

I keep it simple but precise - manhattan, dry and spicy, no fruit. If they ask me to explain further I just order a beer.

Agree with most of the above.

I do find it very disappointing though when I go to a nice upmarket restaurant for a work dinner, and order a cocktail only to have it come back borderline undrinkable.

If I'm going to a place that sells $50 entrees, you'd think they could at least make a reasonable old fashioned or Manhattan.

I order a double, neat. The waitress served it over crushed ice. 'Hey!...' , but it was loud and she was already gone. I didn't want to be that guy. I spooned it out.

They charged extra for the ice!

Be the guy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.