Got a Flask?

B_Dub___Cigar_Ambassador
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Got a Flask?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Got a Flask?

• Yes
    • No
    • My lawyer told me to plead the 5th

I have this cool JD hip-shaped flask that I sometimes take to sporting events and other occasions. Fits great in the inside pocket of my jacket, and it's a kind of metal that doesn't set off metal detectors. It's a great way to take a little something special to drink, when I know the place I'm going won't have what I want.

Do you guys have a flask? If so, tell us a little bit about what it looks like, where you got it, how much it cost, how long you've had it, and what you use it for.

I dont have one right now, but it was on the Christmas list! I suugested the one in this post to my wife, so I may just get it.

TomC

I was using a 375ml bottle of Knob Creek for a while. It fits nicely into a back pocket. And--always a bonus--it was included with the price of the whiskey!

Tommy

I dont have one right now, but it was on the Christmas list! I suugested the one in this post to my wife, so I may just get it.

TomC

That looks like a pretty sweet setup. I hope you're on Santa's A-list.

I was using a 375ml bottle of Knob Creek for a while. It fits nicely into a back pocket. And--always a bonus--it was included with the price of the whiskey!

Tommy

Here is a man who has learned how to survive anywhere. You are now my newest hero.

I'm with Tommy.

I use an empty WT 375. Its perfect. I won't mind having it confiscated, I can see how much is in it, it doesn't tarnish the flavor of the bourbon and the price was right.

As a follow up.

Where do you hide your flask?

I carry mine like an ankle holster in my sock.

toast.gif

Great question. I'm looking forward to hearing other people's answers.

Like I said above, I carry my own flask in the inside pocket of my jacket. If I'm wearing my heavy leather jacket, it's unnoticeable.

Of course I do. It was given to me by my boss when I left for Alaska.It now sports a dent it got sometime in the evening of my going away party.I would say more about that but things are a little fuzzy, some wonderful friends of mine would not stop buying me Blanton's.It's rough being me sometimes.

If you can find it Jim Beam Black is offering a very nice flask in its holiday gift pack this year. I've asked Jo to get me one for Christmas. As with all gift packs you pay for the spirits and the gift is basically free.

I know longer use it, but for about a year I used a Beam half pint bottle...same reasons...cheap, easy to see contents, non-metallic taste. The half-pint is small enough to fit easily anywhere but with 8oz has enough to share. I have been looking for a quality flask for a while...I saw the round ones that come from Britain the other day and they looked nice...hmmm ?

...the round ones that come from Britain...

Are you referring to the round, 3 oz. flask with the Jameson imprint?

I bought one a while back on eBay. I've found the size to be just right for my needs. However, the round shape makes it slightly awkward to hold, the screw cap can be dropped, and the cap takes at least nine, full-bore twists to remove. If your wrist isn't supple, it may take twice that many.

I miss the convenience and security of my larger, rectangular flask with a captive cap and one-third the amount of screw thread.

I continue to look for the perfect, small flask for my needs. Prompted by your post, I may have found it here .

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

this one was roughly the size of a mans palm and held about 8oz...dont know the brand name but will let you know when i find out....

I, also, am on the lookout for a good flask. A flask would prove useful in my short "trips" on my bike. (The contents to be enjoyed at night,with a good cigar, after the days ride is through of course). One of my concerns, however, is exactly how a flask fits into the various "open container" laws? A small bourbon bottle would be ok I guess, but I'm thinking a small bottle with a broken seal would be even more of a no-no.

I am certain that the discovery of a flask of whiskey (even a completely full one, where it was obvious that nothing had been drunk from it) would be a serious problem in states with "open container" laws.

Tim

I was thinking about this the other day.

It's my understanding that open containers can be transported in the trunk or saddlebag (where they are not accessible for consumption while operating a motor vehicle).

If I am taking an open bottle of something to a party, I will usually lay it down on its side in the bottom of a paper grocery bag under other items like soda and potato chips, in the back seat. Unless you give an officer permission or probable cause to search your vehicle, an open container concealed in the bottom of a paper bag is not visible.

But yes, I think Tim is right. If you get pulled over and it is discovered that you have an open container, you will be in legal peril. I always hope that it would be an officer with common sense, who sees that I am not drinking it but rather transporting it to another location. But you never know. I have encountered some pretty unreasonable cops (and judges) in my time.

Of course, I would advise you not to drink on the road. Beyond that, exercise caution when transporting open containers, and let common sense be your guide.

I recently requested and received a travel kit from the State of Kentucky.

Under the heading "Traffic Laws" was a clear statement that alchohol in an opened container cannot be legally transported anywhere in a motor vehicle.

I expressed surprise in a post to this board and was told that most states have a similar law. I had always thought that it was OK to carry an open bottle locked in the trunk. From the replies I received here, I gather that the practice is widely illegal. I still haven't checked California's law in this matter.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Oh gosh. Now that's just plain silly. Sounds like one of those rarely enforced laws.

One of my favorites back in my college days (late 70s) was a pint flask/bottle of WT80. I still have the bottle and use it from time to time as a flask. The interior is glass and the exterior has the WT logo, which could get me arrested for false advertisement these days. The neck is larger and allows for a cleaner fill. That bottle was carried in my blazer pocket to many a football game and is currently stored on a shelf with all my other college days momentos. I also own a couple of stainless flasks that were gifts but I seldom use them as most of my consumption is done in the comforts of my home.

I ordered both the 2.5 and the 3.5 oz. flasks from the website whose link appeared in my earlier post.

Tonight I filled the 3.5 oz. one, only to find that it leaked around the cap after I had filled it and tightened the cap until I felt resistance. Upon inspection, it turned out that the geometry of the cap retainer was wrong, causing resistance before a good seal was made.

I turned the cap another half turn. It still leaked. I tightened it a bit more, whereupon the retainer popped loose from the body of the flask. Another quarter turn finally produced a good seal.

Needless to say, I am very disappointed. Perhaps I expected too much for under $10. Nevertheless, I will communicate my disappointment to the seller and see what happens.

I guess I'd better check out the other one, too, before I make my inquiry.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

My flask is glass in a leather case. It was made in Spain and was a gift from my brother, who obtained it while living in Madrid. It has an inner cap and a tall outer cap that doubles as a shot glass. It holds about 250 ml.

If you can find it Jim Beam Black is offering a very nice flask in its holiday gift pack this year. ... As with all gift packs you pay for the spirits and the gift is basically free.

I bought one of these gift packs about a month ago; it was indeed the same price as the bottle of JB Black on the shelf, which I was wanting to try anyway, so I opted for the free flask.

I haven't used it yet, and am unsure when or where I would actually have occasion to. But it seems like a nice, sturdy little unit. It has a black leatherette (vynil?) cover with a subtle JB logo on it, and is stamped on the bottom: STAINLESS STEEL CHINA.

ac_1.JPG

Yesterday I emailed the proprietor, Nordale Services , and described my problem. Today, Sunday, I received an email to tell me that they will send out a replacement first thing Monday morning.

If the replacement (3.5 oz. version) arrives as promised and works as well as the 2.5 oz. version has, then these flasks are well worth the low cost.

Both of these tiny flasks are rather like a liquor-carrying equivalent of a Derringer. Given a choice between capability and concealability, sometimes one must opt for the latter. However, performance must be unerring, regardless of capacity or caliber.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Mr. Ed,

Where do you hide your flask?

Slipped down the small of my back, curved side in (the same place alot of Kentucky women carry their gun... smirk.gif)

Course that only works if you're wearing jeans.

So Ed, do you wear one on each leg...so you don't walk with a limp? lol.gif

Bj

Brenda,

My left leg is stronger than my right, after years of abusing my right knee and ankle. I sport the flask on the left without a noticable limp. I walk much better with the flask than after I empty it. drinking.gifdrinking.gif

I also find that I'm the only guy who goes throught the security gate three times with that "Search Me Please" look on my face. If you look like a Sex Crimes Registry candidate begging to be touched, they won't come near ya. Its the anxious looking ones they grab.

(Darn) banghead.gif

Ed,

I walk much better with the flask than after I empty it.

Don't sell yerself short here... lol.gif

I distinctly remember a late night sprint across the parking lot of the General Nelson that would have put the Roadrunner to shame... lol.gif

Bj

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!