JP Wiser`s Hopped Whisky, 40% ABV

Gillman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This new product from Wiser, popularly priced, has a big natural hop taste, that part is prominent and not stinted. I get too almost a Postum-like taste, which those of a certain age here will remember: caramel-like but dryish and in fact maybe it is spirit caramel, not sure.

I`d prefer the whisky taste itself to be stronger and more ``straight``, so I added CC Green Label to my bottle, not a lot, maybe 2 ounces out of the 26. That gave it more weight for my taste.

Wiser Legacy might work too although I think more would be needed. It`s a good move though from Wiser, good to try something different like this.

I`ve never seen a reference in the literature to flavouring whisky with hops. Since they are used sometimes to help culture yeast for a whisky or cereal grain mash, the tie-in is kind of natural though. And perhaps going way back hops were added as part of the stew of spices and flavourings to early white dog.

Gary

Could be of course. Probably trying to capitalize on the "IPA" phenomenon. Still, I'd think somewhere in the recesses of whisky history, hops played a role...

Gary

I picked up a bottle of Whipnose, a whiskey made from a double IPA, recently. It's made by Seven Stills Distillery in San Francisco. It's interesting, but overwhelmed by the woody twang imparted by their small barrels. I think the potential for using hops in whiskey is there, with the citrus character they could impart, so I'm looking forward to more experiments with this type of whiskey.

Could be of course. Probably trying to capitalize on the "IPA" phenomenon. Still, I'd think somewhere in the recesses of whisky history, hops played a role...

Gary

Actually, german brewers do make a thing called bier brand. It allowed them to use beer that didn't meet the brewers standards. Just like the brewery tradition, most bier brand labels were local not national brands. It only started to gain traction in the US recently.

Still, I'd think somewhere in the recesses of whisky history, hops played a role...

Why do you think that Gary? I thought hops was traditionally used as a preservative for beer whereas whisky doesn't need one.

Hops have been used by some distillers who propagate their own jug yeast. My impression is it was used as a preservative but it might have served to protect the yeast from adulteration as well.

Why do you think that Gary? I thought hops was traditionally used as a preservative for beer whereas whisky doesn't need one.

Well, so many things were used to flavour whisky, herbs and spices of all kinds. So it makes sense I think that hops may have been used where available. I agree not for preservation properties, but for flavour as some hops in particular have flowery or resinous tastes.

Gary

How about their other new product, the Double Still Rye? Know anything about that one?

I bought it based on your mention and find it excellent, rich and rounded. It's not a straight, but very good and well-priced (plus 43%-and-a-bit ABV).

Rich caramel tones with piney notes from the rye.

It's carefully calibrated but hits the target obviously meant. Reminds me of that Crown Royal with the gold-coloured stopper, the Royal Tour anniversary one.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.