Aged Egg Nog

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last winter I saw this posting by Alton Brown about "Aged Egg Nog". I always assumed with all of the dairy, egg nog would go bad fairly quickly (at least whenever I had made homemade eggnog in the past, it was always consumed within a day or two!) I decided to try it out, and last December I made this recipe (1/4 only) and stored it in small jars (4oz I think). I definitely thought it was better after 3-4 months than it was after a couple of weeks. I tried some after 7 months - and while it was still really good - I don't know that it was any better than the 3-4 month version (which is perfectly fine by me! It also hadn't gone bad, which I was a little worried about!)

So I just made a batch (half the recipe this time!) to set aside, figuring around the holidays, it will be just right. I do tweak the recipe (linked below) slightly. Last year, I didn't have any cognac or Jamaican rum, so I subbed Amaretto (which I always liked in eggnog anyways) and Glenmorangie 10yr (and used EWSB for the bourbon).

This year, I decided to change things up a bit more. I used less Amaretto (2 oz instead of 4 oz of rum), and used Corsair Old Punk in place of the cognac (5 oz instead of 4 oz). For the bourbon, I used my first-barrel mingle (a 107 proof bourye), and used 5 oz instead of 4 oz. In total, the volume of booze was the same, but a bit higher proof (which I think is OK, since it is the collective proof that keeps it from growing fuzzy stuff as I understand it).

Looking forward to trying it this holiday season! Definitely not a low-fat or low-cal treat, but that's what the holidays are all about :)

http://altonbrown.com/eggnog-recipe/

Curious if others have family recipes they've used along these lines?

Gary - This is interesting to me. We had a similar recipe from when I was a kid, but we always were a little afraid to keep it around for long. THEN, several years ago, Jason Wilson, the spirits writer for The Washington Post, did a column on Advocaat. We've kept at least one bottle around ever since - it is a wonderful cocktail base or cocktail addition. We are always looking for new and different things to do for the Holidays, and this fits the bill. Thanks for posting, and if I remember (hahaha), I'll let you all know what we do with it.

For more info on Advocaat, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advocaat

I tried this last year as well. I only aged it 6wks for the first test, but this break in October I'll be doing another batch.

Because I'm often bored at sea, I made an excel file in which you enter the amount of nog you want, and it automagically calculates the measurements of the ingredients for you.

pm me your email address and I'll send it to you.

Also, being concerned about the bacteria is a great excuse to use the higher proof rums. Purely for safety, you understand!!!

Last year I made it with a 114 proof Wood's 100 demerara. This year I'm using the Cadenhead's dark rum blend at 136-ish. You just can't be too careful...

Gary - This is interesting to me. We had a similar recipe from when I was a kid, but we always were a little afraid to keep it around for long. THEN, several years ago, Jason Wilson, the spirits writer for The Washington Post, did a column on Advocaat. We've kept at least one bottle around ever since - it is a wonderful cocktail base or cocktail addition. We are always looking for new and different things to do for the Holidays, and this fits the bill. Thanks for posting, and if I remember (hahaha), I'll let you all know what we do with it.

For more info on Advocaat, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advocaat

Thanks Harry - I definitely am going to keep an eye out for Advocaat. That sounds deliciouss!

I'm also likely going to try this this autumn:

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Atholl-Brose

Thanks for sharing those Paul! I may have to try a small batch of that recipe; looks similar, but I like that it only uses milk & cream rather than those + half & half (I never have cream/half & half on hand, so one less thing to buy!) I may even buy some decent rum! The Atholl Brose looks interesting too - never tried that!

Question at large to anyone...

I may be asking a stooooooopid question; but, where the heck does one acquire "pasteurized' eggs?????

Thanks for the links, TBT. I'd just started doing my own research for recipes, etc. You saved me some time.

I age my eggnog at least 6 weeks by default... last year I even did some in a small 2L barrel (freshly dumped!) that turned out absolutely amazing. I still have a bit in the fridge, I am tempted to try it again when it gets cold...

Heck yeah, good thread. I'd have to dig up the recipe I used for mine, but basically it's only spirit is bourbon. This thanksgiving it'll be 4 years old. I'll have to have a nip on it tonight to see how it's doing. Last time I checked it was unreal good. The thing about aging it is that it goes from being a bunch of harmonious flavors to one purely delicious blast of richness.

• 1 month later...

Over the weekend, I made the recipe that Black Tot posted above. I used WSR until but didn't have enough so I topped it off with OWA. I may have over beat the egg whites. They are floating on top of the mixture in each bottle. I will probably try it around Thanksgiving, since we are hosting for the holiday and traveling for Christmas. I also have some VOB90 sitting on oats, and will finish off tonight to make the Atholl Brose. I don't do scotch, hence I used bourbon. I have to wonder if this will taste similar to the bourbon creams out there. I'm sure it will be better in any case. Can't wait to try them both.

So last night I drank the last of the batch from last winter (solid 10+ months aging). It was still delicious, but I can't say it was more delicious than the previous tastings at 3-4 months or 7 months. Which I'm stoked about, as I can start to plan on just making it in September and enjoying through the holidays! The thought of having to plan a year out was a bit intimidating (but if it had gotten EVEN BETTER, I definitely would be up for the challenge!) Marking my calendar, and going to try some of these other recipes so I can do some blind nog-SBS :)

There is another thread on here about eggnog; I have been making the Washington recipe from it for several years now to great success. A month of aging is the goal, with a couple months being better; but like several comments above I think it tops out after 3 or 4 months....doesn't go bad, just doesn't get much better. And to the comment about the egg whites sitting on top: it's not necessarily over beating, it may be under stirring....it takes a lot and repeated effort to mix them in. Keep stirring.

Marking my calendar, and going to try some of these other recipes so I can do some blind nog-SBS :)

Country, you have set a new bar for bourbon geekery. :D

Country, you have set a new bar for bourbon geekery. :D

And my folks said I'd never amount to anything! :lol:

And my folks said I'd never amount to anything! :lol:

I have it on good authority that his folx never said that!

What Bourbon (and bourbon/cognac/rum ratio) are you guys using?

I grabbed a bottle of Larceny today that I thought I might use to start up a batch this weekend.

What Bourbon (and bourbon/cognac/rum ratio) are you guys using?

I grabbed a bottle of Larceny today that I thought I might use to start up a batch this weekend.

In 2014, I used EWSB for the bourbon, and lacking cognac/rum I went with some Glenmorangie 10yr and Amaretto (which don't taste like either cognac or rum, but the results tasted good to me!) This past batch, I used some bourye from my first barrel mingle (about 107 proof), Corsair Old Punk, and Amaretto. Haven't tried any yet, but it smelled delicious.

My aged nog is separating into 3 levels in the jar. It looks like the egg white froth is on top, the cream (whipped) in the middle and then the other ingredients at the bottom. Is that ok, or should I mix it up every once in a while. I'm worried that the alcohol will settle to the bottom and not kill the beasties on the egg whites.

My aged nog is separating into 3 levels in the jar. It looks like the egg white froth is on top, the cream (whipped) in the middle and then the other ingredients at the bottom. Is that ok, or should I mix it up every once in a while. I'm worried that the alcohol will settle to the bottom and not kill the beasties on the egg whites.

Mine seems to have something that looks like sugar/nutmeg sludge at the bottom of the jar. I've been giving it a good shake every few days.

I could be mistaken but doesn't Alton's receipe call for 12 egg yolks and not egg whites?

Found this in one of the recipes.

8. Let it age for more than three weeks. The contents will separate, with a lighter, frothier-looking portion forming at the top. Resist the temptation to open it or fiddle with it.

I believe I'm going to try the Alton brown recipe this year, it excludes the egg whites completely.

I ended up shaking up my jars, and I'm glad I did. The top frothy part seemed to be the heavy whipping cream drying out and deflating a bit. After shaking they've separated again, but seem to be wet all the way through.

I didn't use Alton's recipe, but used one of the other ones posted in this thread. On a side note, I find Alton very entertaining but many of his recipes are needlessly complex. Plus once I saw his home brewing episode and it was full in inaccuracies. I have to wonder whether he just reads cliffs notes on topics before he presents them.

I plan on trying the nog over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend!

I typically shake mine every few weeks, as the spices seem to get stuck on the bottom if I don't do that periodically.

• 7 months later...

I know I'm bringing this back from a rest, but this this thread encouraged me to have my chef fiancé whip me up a batch. Holy cow this stuff is good. If you all say it gets better with a few months, boy I'm excited!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.