Bardstown where to eat?

5cents
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I have completed the trail many times but never stopped and ate anywhere in Bardstown. I am taking two coworkers who have never been and I need some recommendations. I searched a bit and couldn't find the thread I remembered making recommendations I've read before. So, one meal in Bardstown, where to eat and what do you recommend?

I have completed the trail many times but never stopped and ate anywhere in Bardstown. I am taking two coworkers who have never been and I need some recommendations. I searched a bit and couldn't find the thread I remembered making recommendations I've read before. So, one meal in Bardstown, where to eat and what do you recommend?

Harrison Smith House #1, Kurtz #2, Rincon Mexicano #3. For breakfast it's Mammy's Kitchen. I don't eat much sushi but people have good things to say of Umami Sushi. Many locals endorse BJ's Steakhouse but also never been.

Kurtz's for dinner. Best fried chicken I've ever had that wasn't cooked by me. The Kentucky Combination is my favorite (Fried chicken and country ham) with the slaw and bourbon biscuit pudding for dessert. If you're going just one place, go there.

If it's lunch you're after, Mammy's might be the best choice. Kurtz's has limited lunch choices.

Also under no circumstances go to the Talbot Tavern. Terrible service and mediocre food.

Kurtz's for dinner. Best fried chicken I've ever had that wasn't cooked by me. The Kentucky Combination is my favorite (Fried chicken and country ham) with the slaw and bourbon biscuit pudding for dessert. If you're going just one place, go there.

If it's lunch you're after, Mammy's might be the best choice. Kurtz's has limited lunch choices.

Also under no circumstances go to the Talbot Tavern. Terrible service and mediocre food.

The sad truth about Talbot. Such a great location and so disappointing.

Mammy's at breakfast time is heaven, and I heartily second the recommendation for Kurtz's!

• 1 month later...

The Rickhouse is great. Always a good experience.

I also like Kreso's a lot. Their whiskey selection is impressive, and the schnitzel is outstanding!

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2015‎ ‎6‎:‎47‎:‎27‎, Josh said:

Funny, I had no problems at Talbott Tavern with the food or service last March while there. I'm a bit of a history buff and enjoyed my visit, but I've only been just once.

13 hours ago, bullitt said:

Funny, I had no problems at Talbott Tavern with the food or service last March while there. I'm a bit of a history buff and enjoyed my visit, but I've only been just once.

That's good news! Maybe they've made an effort to get better!

8 hours ago, Josh said:

8 hours ago, Josh said:

They even let me check out the bourbon bar upon asking (club side) that was closed at the time and even gave me a tour of the upstairs room where Lincoln stayed.

On December 9, 2015 at 3:10:42 PM, bullitt said:

They even let me check out the bourbon bar upon asking (club side) that was closed at the time and even gave me a tour of the upstairs room where Lincoln stayed.

On December 9, 2015 at 6:34:33 AM, Josh said:

That is good news.  Though I didn't have as bad an experience as Josh (and many others have reported over the years), I have always felt that the wonderful space the Talbot occupies has been underutilized and could be so much better.  I may have to take a sneak peak in the Spring to see how things things look.

Edited by smokinjoe

• 2 months later...

Several years ago, I had an amazing Talbott visit.  Incredible steak.  Lovely service.  They toured me around a little bit.  Then drove down to see the two Lincoln houses.  Fun day.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.