bourbon balls

Theron Volkman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know that:

a) I had a very merry Christmas.

& B) It seems PAradox here has very good taste, and I am gonna Have to try that recipe now. . .

Rock on Guys!

TomC

Hey Tim,

Hope you had a great Christmas and you're going to have an even better new year!

Yepper, those are the cherries. However, I have an update here. I did a second batch and they...errr....weren't nearly as good as the first time around... confused.gif I don't know if there are different kinds of those big cherries (some sweeter than others) or what but, the first batch was definitely better than the second. The second batch needed sugar, corn syrup or something... tongue.gif

I wanted to let you know, this whole 'cherry-thing' is still experimental... crazy.gif I wanted something for my website that no one else had. This is one of those instances where I have to remember...unique is not the same as good... tongue.gifgrin.gif

Happy New Year!

Beej

Bobby,

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I haven't tried to dip them yet.

I don't know what proof your Weller wieghs in at , but I like 100 or more for this kind of thing. Anybody's 107 would go good. I used Wt and KC I don't know which is which right now but I know there's not a bad jar of them in either case. grin.gif

• 11 months later...

I printed off BJ's first recipe, and Mrs. Dub made a couple dozen whompin' Bourbon Balls, covered in chocolate. Those damned things are delicious. Took some to a party. Had to be the best dessert there. Thanks for the recipe BJ. You're in our cookbook!

B Dub,

No prob... grin.gif

Last year, Bobby and I talked about soaking Maraschino cherries in Bourbon, and then dipping them in chocolate. They're not bad either.

I just did a batch that combined the two. Use cherries with the stem on, smush some of the Bourbon ball mixture around it and dip it in chocolate. If you do it right, they come out looking like mice... lol.gifskep.giflol.gif (I acquired this knowledge purely by accident... lol.gif) Cornflakes or almond slivers make ears, and if you really must, you can find little candy balls for a nose.

My guests really enjoyed picking them up by the tail (heathens...God Bless them... smirk.gif)and popping them in their mouths.

All in all a pretty big pain in the a** for a buffet, but would be great in candy gift boxes!

Bj

That's hilarious. Although, I suspect that I'd be a condemned heathen by your definition!

B Dub,

I suspect that I'd be a condemned heathen by your definition!

That's cool...most of my friends are heathens (birds of a feather... lol.gif)

Bj

Brenda,

On Sunday, Patty made bourbon balls using your recipe and I decided to use the remaining chocolate to cover some cherries I had infusing for the last few months in THE JAR. I never thought of putting the two together. I could slap myself. I guess I'm just too Right Brained (or is it left brained? Not artistic).

banghead.gifbanghead.gif

Ed,

some cherries I had infusing for the last few months in THE JAR

I LOVE those.

I've experimented w/ fresh cherries, even with lots of sugar they're not the same.

Ever cut canned cherry pie filling with Bourbon, to drizzle over cheesecake or ice cream?

Bj

You can drizzle pie filling on other foods??

Wait till Patty here's about another use for Pie Filling.

I bet you could use Whipped Cream on food too.

toast.gif

• 7 months later...

My girl and I made a double batch of the bourbon balls using the recipe from the Wild Turkey site. We used EWSB instead of WT, though, and next time I'll probably go with the WT or another higher-proof bottle. A little more kick would do them some good.

In any case, the balls turned out great and taste good, and we'll be taking them to a cocktail party on Friday. The comments in this thread were helpful, so thanks. I think we might try the ginger-snap variety next time.

I used the same recipe last year and substituted ORVW 10/90 and seemed that the wheater made it sweeter (poetry?) but nobody who had them complained, and I plan on making more soon (for my personal consumption).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.