bourbon balls

Theron Volkman
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

• 5 months later...

Hi Theron,

Here's a recipe for bourbon balls that appeared in The Herald, courtesy of That Special Touch, from Sandra Davis of Springfield, Kentucky. Just in time for Derby Day.

1 cup pecans, chopped

4 tablespoons bourbon

1 stick butter, softened

1 16-ounce box confectioners' sugar

3 squares semi-sweet chocolate

1/2 rectangle of paraffin, for dipping candies

Combine pecans and bourbon; wait at least 3 hours for pecans to absorb bourbon. Cream butter and confectioners' sugar with mixer, adding bourbon and pecan mixture. Roll mixture into small balls and refrigerate for 90 minutes. Melt chocolate in double boiler, adding shaved paraffin. Heat until thoroughly melted. Dip balls in chocolate (hey Linn, sounds intriguing!) and put on waxed paper to dry. Makes 24 balls.

• 1 year later...

I promised my Grandma Bourbon Balls & "Buckeye's" for christmas, so I need the best recipe for the bourbon balls I can find. Does anyone have a variation on this theme??

TomC

Hey Tom,

I usually make the traditional, chocolate covered version. I use confectioners sugar, butter, heavy cream & Bourbon for the filling and just semi-sweet chocolate for the dip. Soak the pecans in Bourbon for a day or so beforehand. Personally, I would stay away from the paraffin. I'll be starting a batch here real soon (I need to get off my ass... smirk.gif )and I'll be able to be more specific (if you'd like) I'm also trying some vanilla Bourbon syrup in the filling in a couple of batches so, I'll let you know how it works.

Until then, here's a variation recipe from an old (1967) Willett Distilling Co. cookbook:

Bourbon Balls

1 cup finely crushed vanilla wafers

1 cup grated pecans

1 cup powdered sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa

1 1/2 tablespoons white corn syrup

2 ounces Bourbon

Roll wafers fine and mix well with sugar, cocoa and nuts. Dissolve syrup in Old Bardstown and add to dry ingredients. Blend well and form into small balls (I can hear Omar laughing all the way up here. grin.gif ) and roll in powdered sugar. Box and store in a cool place.

Hope this helps,

Bj

Thanx BJ

that is a bit different than the recipes I have seen so far, sounds good too. Why do you not like the paraffin, may i ask, It seems to work well in making buckeyes. . .

Just Curious

Tom laugh.giflaugh.gif C

That is the same or very close to the recipe I remember from about 35 years ago. However, I would also like to try the other recipe, it sounds very good, too.

Tim

Tom,

I really enjoy Bourbon but, I am a certified chocoholic. I can feel the change in the chocolate's texture. The parafin's only purpose is to stiffen the chocolate. It feels different in my mouth and sortof leaves a coating (why am I getting the feeling that the last couple of sentences are going to come back to haunt me... smirk.gif ) Anyway, I soak whole pecans in Bourbon for a couple of days and top each candy with one after it's been dipped.

I got a taste of Bobby's BOURBON balls today. We need to try and talk him outta that recipe too.

I'll pass along some measurements asap.

Beej

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

I usually make the traditional, chocolate covered version. I use confectioners sugar, butter, heavy cream & Bourbon for the filling and just semi-sweet chocolate for the dip. Soak the pecans in Bourbon for a day or so beforehand.

Murph,

I'm in the middle of a batch now. I can't get good measurements from this batch because I'm using real, honest-to-Gawd cow butter. It's made from fresh milk off a farm (MOO) in Indiana. This batch is for them.

I can give you a couple of opinions tho. I do exactly the same thing you do, I wing it.

The amount of butter you start with will determine the number of balls (I can't believe I'm saying this... grin.gif ) you end up with. You are using the sugar to hold everything together, and it should be a stiff mixture (oh Gawd). It works best if you 'cut' the sugar into the butter like you would the flour for a pie crust. Cut the sugar in a cup @ a time so your base stays creamy.

If you use half a stick of butter, you can expect to use a couple of cups of powdered sugar. A whole stick and you'll use approximately a whole box. All this is relative to whether you're using chopped pecans (if you've soaked them, they'll be holding more moisture) and the amount of Bourbon you intend to use. Once you have a couple of cups of powdered sugar worked in, add the Bourbon. At that point, if necessary, add more powdered sugar to stiffen. Then the pecans (and more powdered sugar if necessary). The cream is added last (used mostly if you added too much powdered sugar in the last step... smirk.gif )

Once you've rolled them into balls, roll them in powdered sugar and briefly refrigerate them (freeze them is better). It helps them to hold their shape while dipping.

Melt the semi-sweet chocolate in a double boiler (you can try to do without one but, it sure makes it ALOT easier). I have aliddle plastic loop-on-a-stick that is great for dipping chocolates. You can make one with a coat-hanger...just bend alittle circle in the end. The idea is to get them in and out really quick, or they turn into a blob... tongue.gif

Personally, I don't add chopped pecans, I use a Bourbon-soaked (right now, I'm experimenting with pecans soaked in Bourbon/vanilla syrup) whole pecan for the top.

So really...this recipe is real close:

1 cup pecans, chopped

4 tablespoons bourbon

1 stick butter, softened

1 16-ounce box confectioners' sugar

3 squares semi-sweet chocolate

1/2 rectangle of paraffin, for dipping candies

Since I don't use the paraffin, I use more chocolate than 3 squares. It helps if you're dipping your balls, not just rolling them around (comeon, I went all this time before I did it...I cuddent hep mysef... smirk.gif )

Just remember, thru this whole process...wax paper is your friend...

Bobbyc has a recipe that is worth hearing too...maybe he'll post it.

Hope this helps,

Beej

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend I found a pamphlet from Wild Turkey with a bourbon ball recipe in it. It is acutally VERY similiar to the one that Brenda mentioned in the previous post. I made them today and so far everyone seems to love them. Let's just hope they go over as well this Thursday evening! Only difference was I used 2 cups of fine vanilla crumbs, 2 tablespoons white corn syrup, and a 1/3 cup bourbon. Doubt any of the differences mattered but just testifying to their goodness. smile.gifsmile.gif

Well today Jessica & I made our first "experimental" batches of Bourbon Balls & Buckeyes (peanut butter, chocolate dipped candies made to resemble the nut of the Ohio State Tree, the Buckeye) of the year! Jessica likes doing one batch early so we can se if anything needs tweaked. The buckeyes were excellent, and the bourbon balls (made with Old Ezra 7/101, yummy!!) were great with maybe only one tweak necessary, MORE BOURBON!!! ( smile.gifsmile.gif BLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cool.gifcool.gif ). I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me get started on bourbon balls, because I never would have what I was missing. . .

Tom (Grasciously Grateful) C

PS the pic is of Actual Buckeye Seeds. . . .

post-89-14489811091569_thumb.jpg

I tried last night the drunken pork and sour cream bourbon sauce recipe from Tim's link in the previous post and it was to die for. I've made pork tenderloins before marinated in bourbon and other seasonings/sauces but I think the recipe for that sour cream bourbon sauce really makes the differnece on this one. In case you're feeling adventerous here's that link Drunken pork and Sour Cream Bourbon Sauce

• 3 weeks later...

I made the Wild Turkey bourbon balls (I actually used WT 101) from the recipe in the above post, tonight. They are quite good. My wife even likes them.

I had trouble with the recipe, though. After mixing everything together, my mixture was about like dry sand. I added corn syrup three times before I got something I could form into balls.

But I am happy with the end result. They taste almost exactly the way I remember Bourbon balls from too many years ago.

Tim

Hey ya'll,

I've been experimenting this year with cherries. Since the topic around here has been Bourbon Balls, what about Bourbon Cherries? I bought some maraschino cherries and soaked them in Bourbon. While they weren't bad plain, once I dipped them in chocolate, they sure weren't as good as they had sounded in the beginning.... tongue.gif.

Next, I tried fresh cherries. (This involves a cherry pitter, you can find those at most kitchen speciality shops) Leave the stem on the cherry and turn it to the side in the pitter, as you push the plunger, the pit will pop out the side of the cherry, leaving a hole thru the cherry and a little flap (you can close the flap or eat it... smirk.gif depending on your Christmas spirit... wink.gif).

Now, soak the cherry in Bourbon for as long as you think. Hold by the stem and dip in melted chocolate (you can use pariffin if you like). Place on a wax paper covered tray and chill. These should really be kept in the fridge and they are far more perishable than Bourbon Balls. Everyone around here liked them so I thought I would pass it along.

Merry Christmas Everybody!!! grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Beej

I just tryed out the drunk'n pork and bourbon sause tonight , changed it a little by using counrty ribs and not the tender loin as called for .....All in all very good , wife and kids , and MIL all gave thumbs up grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif , so it looks like it's on the list of cookables , also will try it out on the other white meat ....chicken ......

Happy Holidays to all .....

Bill g. grin.gif

I made a variation of that Wild Turkey recipe this year, it worked out WELL. I replaced the vanilla wafers with ginger snaps, and since they've got more flavor than the wafers, I left out the cocoa, increased the amount of bourbon.

Pretty danged tasty if I do say so myself. wink.gif

I haven't tried it before, but the drunken pork with sour cream sauce is on my Christmas Day menu. I'm taking your word for it, Paradox. wink.gif

By the way, Merry Christmas, everybody!

Tim

I keep a jar of Maroshino cherries infused with Bourbon. Probably wild Turkey or Knob Creek , ( high proof , people , high proof) in the fridge. I had some and forgot to bring 'em out at the cookout. Pour off all the juice , save it for cherry cokes and icecream, then refill with your fav bourbon they will not go bad.I haven't tried to dip them yet.

Paradox, I did make the drunken pork and sour cream sauce for Christmas dinner. "To die for" is an excellent way of describing it. It is superb and everyone loved it. Had you not recommended it so highly, I probably would have never tried it.

Thanks, Tim

Tim, glad you and company enjoyed it as much as I did when I made it! That was a lot of weight riding on my shoulders there wink.gif I hope you and all our fellow friends in these forums had a Very Merry Christmas and have a Healthy and Happy New Year!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.