What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

7 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Well, you need to get right on that Clement bottle! Mostly so that I will know if I need to grab one... :D

That Clement cask is selling better than I anticipated, too. Sku's positive review probably helped.

Ok, I'm opening it tonight come hell or high water!

On 1/12/2017 at 8:59 AM, tanstaafl2 said:

Well, you need to get right on that Clement bottle! Mostly so that I will know if I need to grab one... :D

I'm a little under the weather but last night I had about an ounce from the freshly opened Clement K&L Exclusive Cask Strength Single Barrel Rhum and took a few notes. If I can kick whatever has infected my body then I'll hit this bottle again in the next day or two and see if I have any different impressions.

Notes:

Smells like young MGP rye. Sku noted this as well, and I thought he was nuts, but sure enough there it is. With some air, sugar cane notes and indistinct overripe fruit emerges.

Tastes spicy and earthy but also has an interesting grape jelly note, lots of throat burn (could be due to sickness or maybe I'm being a wuss). Some nice tropical fruit notes come out on the finish followed by some sherry funk. Any chance this barrel was lightly treated with sherry or wine?

Overall it was noticeably young but good and interesting. I enjoyed the contrasting earthy and fruity notes. Much better with a splash of water and some air time. I don't think this is going to knock your socks off (unless you drink a full glass without adding any water), but it's certainly different from the more restrained (and less interesting) regular release rhum agricoles I've tried. I'd say it's worth buying.

Edited by Kpiz

• 2 weeks later...

Traveled out of town for dinner, stopped by a favorite LS, found El Dorado 12 yr on their shelf, so brought 1 home.  I have been checking my big city LS, none have had any.

3 hours ago, DROB said:

Found this today at my local LS.

I REALLY enjoy that one. And the price is right, like all things Foursquare. Let us know how you like it.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 11:30 PM, The Black Tot said:

I REALLY enjoy that one. And the price is right, like all things Foursquare. Let us know how you like it.

I agree, a real value for quality rum and a great example of what rum could be if it wasn't always screwed up by most producers. Then again lots of people seem to be happy with their brown sugar water with cola. And the less people that want true rum hopefully the more there will be for those of us who know better!

• 3 weeks later...

Drove past a Total Wine on the way to visit family this weekend so I stopped and picked up a couple things I can't get near me, including a bottle of Doorly's 12 for myself and one for a friend who let us crash as his house

Bought these a while back but just received them today thanks to the assistance of a fellow SBer.

58af056a8849e_LemonHart151rum.JPG.d62392e14c1be38966faaa7ce1e2aefd.JPG

Picked up the newest Lemon Hart 151 pf (second from the right) and can now compare it to the two previous versions as well as the Hamilton version of Demerara 151 rum. These are staples in classic tiki drinks.

58af056e42f32_Plantationoverproofrum.JPG.e66d206667b431d669e004bc276703cd.JPG

Also got a bottle of the new Plantation "OFTD" overproof rum that is a blend of several different island rums (Barbados, Jamaica and of course Guyana) similar to the old Navy Grog rums of old.

58af0571b2169_ClementsinglebarrelAmericanOaklowproofandcaskstrength.JPG.af067ee659fc70ce8509f198dfcee426.JPG

And finally I got the K&L cask strength bottling of Clement in "New American Oak" which appears  by all reports to be a typical charred new oak barrel as one might use for bourbon. They were distilled on the same day (SEP 1, 2012) and bottled on the same day (JUL 29, 2016) making them both a month short of 4 years. The only difference is that barrel 154 from K&L was bottled at a cask strength of 125 pf while the barrel 148 from my local store was cut to 88.8 pf. Apparently the cask strength is not chill filtered as there are all manner of lovely bits floating inside. Not as sure about the local bottle.

You have some killer side-by-sides to do!

In regards to Clement single casks, there's another store in SF with a private selection of Clement but they had it bottled at the lower proof. It is a bit older, though, at 4.5 years (unless I screwed up the distillation date in my head again. The non-US date format really throws me off for some reason). I think I mentioned a while back that I had seen it but that I was in a hurry and couldn't get the details. 

Odd that they would wait that much longer to bottle another one unless perhaps it had gone unsold initially.

Looking forward to the Lemon Hart showdown. I've got all those bottles myself, but haven't yet managed to get them in the same place due to the 140 proof airline limit.

I know, I know  - rebottling. Haven't gotten to it yet though :)

I finally bought the bottle of Tommy Bahama White Sand (unaged rum) that I've been eyeing at a local liquor store. I checked the bottle for the "Seale" of quality (see crappy attached pic) and once I confirmed it was made at Foursquare, I decided to pull the trigger. The price wasn't marked down but the owner knocked a few dollars off9560df0339a9b49888aaa5b467bc6097.jpg

Grabbed an older bottle of Flor de Cana that is age stated at 12 years. Came with a couple of FdC tumblers, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Odd that they would wait that much longer to bottle another one unless perhaps it had gone unsold initially.

I finally re-checked the dates on that other Clement single barrel selection in SF. Pic is below - looks like it's 4 years and 4 months old. Bottled the same day as the other two casks but distilled exactly 6 months earlier...seems fishy

9ea839c40b459ded0c3cef7aad912bd3.jpg

I am beginning to lose some of my faith in Clement honesty. 

When I was in the Caribbean 5 years ago a restauranteur took me to his wine cellar and showed me a 1953 vintage Clement that he said was one of 3 known bottles and the master blender of Clement had recently visited and bought the other bottle he had.

Fast forward to a  Caribbean trip 18months ago and I saw more than 9 vintage 1953 Clement bottles in various liquor stores - all were priced at 1,200 euro. 

Then at Tales last year a prominent independent rum bottler told me that they had done carbon 13 age test on a bottle of the vintage 1953 and it was dated from '98. That story was corroborated a few months later by a well known European blogger who said he had financed the test. 

I mentioned the story to a famous pure rum distiller who told me he knew of the test but didn't think the technology produced accurate results and weren't reliable.

So we are left with suspicions but no proof.

It's clear that rum producers don't take documentation and provenance as seriously as Bourbon producers.

Edited by sailor22

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 11:35 AM, sailor22 said:

It's clear that rum producers don't take documentation and provenance as seriously as Bourbon producers.

I don't think there is anybody really holding their feet to the fire to be honest (or any other producer for that matter) and no one in the islands seems much worried about it as long as the revenue keeps coming in. You might think the French Islands might be a little tighter but apparently not. At least the TTB, for all its faults, is there to keep US producers honest with the threat of serious penalty in theory for blatant disregard of the requirements.

On ‎3‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:53 AM, Kpiz said:

I finally re-checked the dates on that other Clement single barrel selection in SF. Pic is below - looks like it's 4 years and 4 months old. Bottled the same day as the other two casks but distilled exactly 6 months earlier...seems fishy

The local store that did the Clement barrel said it was many months between when he picked his barrel and when it arrived. So I suppose they could have had an initial run of barrels and then a follow up and bottled it all up at the same time in one run to keep from mixing it with other lines. Or maybe Clement is indeed just full of bagasse and making stuff up as they go! Those similar dates do seem a bit suspicious.

My experience with rum is limited to captain & coke.  I did pick up the SA Revalation rum because I like SA.  It tastes OK, but what do I know.  I think the higher prod helps this 

IMG_0527.JPG

13 hours ago, quazi said:

The first date on the clement bottle is not the distillation date it is the date the rum was barreled. 

I suppose it could have been tanked briefly after distillation but I doubt it was for very long. Don't know French and can't find a good picture of that section to tell what it says anyway! Looks like it says "Date de mise en vieillissement" which sounds like it might mean "date of the aging" or something to that effect.

Sticking with bottles that sell for less than it's worth to fake continues to be a winning strategy for me to avoiding spurious provenances.

My experience with rum is limited to captain & coke.  I did pick up the SA Revalation rum because I like SA.  It tastes OK, but what do I know.  I think the higher prod helps this 

IMG_0527.thumb.JPG.2aadae0c3ae29b4e77ae1181d48d4fcd.JPG

That picture is pretty neat BTW
It makes it look like the bottle is made of marble

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

On 3/6/2017 at 4:33 PM, jvd99 said:

Would love to hear some tasting notes. Even if you're new to rum, you know what you can taste, what you like, and what you don't like!