What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Sticking with bottles that sell for less than it's worth to fake continues to be a winning strategy for me to avoiding spurious provenances.

A $45 bottle of Rhum Clement from a store-selected cask seemed unlikely to be subject to such shenanigans. At least at the time. I should clarify that I did not buy the bottle pictured, I decided to pass since it was bottled at the lower proof. I did, however, get a bottle of the K&L exclusive Rhum Clement single cask (which was bottled at 125 proof).

Oh yeah, at $45, any fakery is from the producer.

I was thinking about sailor's ultra rare expression of the 1953 at 1200 euro.

I really enjoy SA Revelation rum.  It's got lots of interesting flavors, and almost a phenolic character.  

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 1:16 PM, Kpiz said:

A $45 bottle of Rhum Clement from a store-selected cask seemed unlikely to be subject to such shenanigans. At least at the time. I should clarify that I did not buy the bottle pictured, I decided to pass since it was bottled at the lower proof. I did, however, get a bottle of the K&L exclusive Rhum Clement single cask (which was bottled at 125 proof).

Did I ever send you a sample of my local store bottle of Clement Single cask at the lower proof? I have already lost track!

3 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Did I ever send you a sample of my local store bottle of Clement Single cask at the lower proof? I have already lost track!

No you didn't, and I completely forgot to ask. Whoops. Save me a couple ounces please!

Have you had a chance to compare the two?

13 hours ago, Kpiz said:

No you didn't, and I completely forgot to ask. Whoops. Save me a couple ounces please!

Have you had a chance to compare the two?

Indeed I have. The cask strength with a couple drops of water is a big improvement to me. Still not a classic Clement profile but then I suppose it was not meant to be. Although I have had a couple people (bartender types) try it and prefer the lower proof which surprised me. But most prefer the cask strength.

I will try to remember to pour a sample this weekend so that I don't run out!

Edited by tanstaafl2

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Indeed I have. The cask strength with a couple drops of water is a big improvement to me. Still not a classic Clement profile but then I suppose it was not meant to be. Although I have had a couple people (bartender types) try it and prefer the lower proof which surprised me. But most prefer the cask strength.

I will try to remember to pour a sample this weekend so that I don't run out!

I'm glad the K&L cask didn't disappoint. I'll save a little of my current bottle for a future SBS with the 88.8 proofer.

16 minutes ago, Kpiz said:

I'm glad the K&L cask didn't disappoint. I'll save a little of my current bottle for a future SBS with the 88.8 proofer.

Pour off a personal sample now and then you don't have to worry about it!

Plantation OFTD was in cart yesterday. Looking forward to opening one of these soon.

Supposed to get close to 6 inches of snow by tomorrow, so a after blow/shovel pour is looking good

B

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, BFerguson said:

Plantation OFTD was in cart yesterday. Looking forward to opening one of these soon.

Supposed to get close to 6 inches of snow by tomorrow, so a after blow/shovel pour is looking good

B

That certainly seems like a good pour to warm you up after some time spent in the snow!

I just bought a bottle of the new Lost Spirits Navy Style Rum. This is 61% ABV and I believe it went through their THEA One reactor. I enjoyed their prior iteration of this rum (the 68% ABV one) that was pre-THEA One, although my understanding is that it was made using some of the processes (e.g. UV light treatment of wood staves) that are now part of the reactor. I've gotten much more into rum since I last tasted their stuff and am hoping I still enjoy this style.

Bought a Plantation 20th Anniversary and a Kaniche XO Double Wood that was on sale at Total Wine

The Plantation 20th is a crowd pleaser. Standard fare at summer gatherings Chez Sailor

• 2 weeks later...

It's starting to warm up and something new popped on a local store's blog - Panama-pacific Exposicion 23 year. And claimed to be legit 23 year, that's the youngest stuff in the bottle. Mid 50's for the bottle and some solid reviews online so what the heck, I was looking for something new for the spring and summer.

Really, really nice stuff. Ridiculously smooth pour. Nice bit of smoke, some caramel that shifts into a nice woody finish that just lasts and lasts and lasts. Not overwhelming, which surprised me given the age, just some fantastic stuff at a fantastic price.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, Ravensfire said:

It's starting to warm up and something new popped on a local store's blog - Panama-pacific Exposicion 23 year. And claimed to be legit 23 year, that's the youngest stuff in the bottle. Mid 50's for the bottle and some solid reviews online so what the heck, I was looking for something new for the spring and summer.

Really, really nice stuff. Ridiculously smooth pour. Nice bit of smoke, some caramel that shifts into a nice woody finish that just lasts and lasts and lasts. Not overwhelming, which surprised me given the age, just some fantastic stuff at a fantastic price.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Nice notes, I'm glad to hear that this is good stuff! I picked up a bottle a few months ago but it's stuck in my queue of bottles I want to open...

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is basically one rum distillery in Panama, so this is probably from the same distillery as Zafra. With it being only a few dollars more than Zafra 21 (at least in my area), having a few extra proof points, a couple extra years of age, and (supposedly) no additives, it certainly seems like a good deal. 

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

Nice notes, I'm glad to hear that this is good stuff! I picked up a bottle a few months ago but it's stuck in my queue of bottles I want to open...

Others can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there is basically one rum distillery in Panama, so this is probably from the same distillery as Zafra. With it being only a few dollars more than Zafra 21 (at least in my area), having a few extra proof points, a couple extra years of age, and (supposedly) no additives, it certainly seems like a good deal. 

Yes, I believe Las Cabras in the Herrera province is the only major distillery in Panama and is responsible for Zafra, Ron Abuelos, Cana Brava (is that still around?) and seemingly a myriad of new labels of late including the fabled "Ron de Jeremy"! I presume this is another of that same bunch. Although K&L reports it as a 23yo as well. Maybe this really is 23yo. I think I would have my doubts without pretty strong proof from an pretty reliable independent source.

But I can be a bit skeptical...

2 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, I believe Las Cabras in the Herrera province is the only major distillery in Panama and is responsible for Zafra, Ron Abuelos, Cana Brava (is that still around?) and seemingly a myriad of new labels of late including the fabled "Ron de Jeremy"! I presume this is another of that same bunch. Although K&L reports it as a 23yo as well. Maybe this really is 23yo. I think I would have my doubts without pretty strong proof from an pretty reliable independent source.

But I can be a bit skeptical...

Probably smart to be skeptical of such things. K&L is reputable and they wouldn't knowingly provide incorrect information, but since that information is likely passed on from the distillery via the importer, it's hard to know for sure. They do address it directly on that page, though, which makes me feel a little more confident: "Panamá-Pacific’s age statement reflects the youngest rum in the blend, not just a portion of it."

Do you think they have a temperature-controlled warehouse? If not, the angels must take an incredible amount of the rum out of those barrels over the course of 23 years in Panama heat. 

Also they say on the brand site that it is produced by the Ingenio San Carlos distillery

I've had the Panama-Pacific 23 and am a little skeptical of it. If it's sweetened (yes, I need to just get the testing gear…) I don't think it's heavily so, but given the profile they went for I can't help thinking it would be easier to get the 'smoothness' I am sure they wanted with a little manipulation.

That's not an accusation, I'm just saying I have doubts. This was the bottle that finally made me wonder if it's worth (for me) bothering with these older all-column rums. This is of course subjective, but even if this rum is legit it's lacking the qualities that make me love Jamaican or Bajan rums. For that matter, El Dorado (which we all know is not on the level) benefits greatly from the additional character!

Edited by Lucid

On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:59 PM, kevinbrink said:

Also they say on the brand site that it is produced by the Ingenio San Carlos distillery

Yes, indeed. And yet Willet (and others) bottles whiskey under multiple "distillery" names but they all come from the same source. The same can be said for many other countries making many other spirits, especially if it is an NDP style operation.

Ingenio San Carlos distillery is owned by Alcoholes y Rones de Panama which is in the Herrera province. The master distiller is F.J. "Don Pancho" Fernandez.  Las Cabras is owned by Alcoholes y Rones de Panama and is in the Herrera province. The master distiller is F.J. "Don Pancho" Fernandez.

Coincidence? Hmm, I think not!

More information is not readily available in a quick search but this website of a reviewer I have followed for awhile gives some further credence as well as some interesting additional details about the stills.

I think without strong evidence to the contrary it is pretty safe that Panamanian rum distillate of any consequence comes from the distillery of the Alcoholes y Rones de Panama company in Herrera until strong evidence to the contrary, no matter what distillery name is printed on the bottle.

Edited by tanstaafl2

1 minute ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Yes, indeed. And yet Willet (and others) bottles whiskey under multiple "distillery" names but they all come form the same source The same can be said for many other countries making many other spirits, especially if it is an NDP style operation.

Ingenio San Carlos distillery is owned by Alcoholes y Rones de Panama which is in the Herrera province. The master distiller is F.J. "Don Pancho" Fernandez.  Las Cabras is owned by Alcoholes y Rones de Panama and is in the Herrera province. The master distiller is F.J. "Don Pancho" Fernandez.

Coincidence? Hmm, I think not!

More information is not readily available in a quick search but this website of a reviewer I have followed for awhile gives some further credence.

I think without strong evidence to the contrary it is pretty safe that Panamanian rum distillate of any consequence comes from the distillery of the Alcoholes y Rones de Panama company in Herrera until strong evidence to the contrary, no matter what distillery name is printed on the bottle.

You are clearly more educated than I am here, good information.

33 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

You are clearly more educated than I am here, good information.

More "edjumacated"? Not so sure!

Skeptical? Definitely! B)

• 2 weeks later...

I am new in my rum journey and with a few tips from Bruce started with Appleton 12 (I didn't know my grandfather at all, but my father said he always drank Appleton) and Mt. Gay XO.  Today I used a $10 off $40 coupon at TW to get a 10 yo 2001 Plantation for $40 plus tax. Passed up (for now):

RL Seale 10 for $24

Doorly XO for $18

Doorly 8 for $20

Doorly 12 for $25

Plantation OFTD (1L) for $46

Hope I did well. I'm still a fledgling rum drinker so comments are welcome!

IMG_2612.JPG

33 minutes ago, Charlutz said:

I am new in my rum journey and with a few tips from Bruce started with Appleton 12 (I didn't know my grandfather at all, but my father said he always drank Appleton) and Mt. Gay XO.  Today I used a $10 off $40 coupon at TW to get a 10 yo 2001 Plantation for $40 plus tax. Passed up (for now):

RL Seale 10 for $24

Doorly XO for $18

Doorly 8 for $20

Doorly 12 for $25

Plantation OFTD (1L) for $46

Hope I did well. I'm still a fledgling rum drinker so comments are welcome!

IMG_2612.JPG

Looks like you did great to me! I have not had that Plantation Barbados 2001 but I imagine it's excellent.

The Plantation OFTD has gotten some high praise around here and in Bruce's Wednesday Tastings thread recently, but the price you listed is much higher than I've seen ($27 near me). May still be worth the cost if you're looking for something with more oomph. 

The Doorly's 12 is very good in my opinion. If you want something with some serious fruitiness, I highly recommend it. It is still very dry (since it has no added sugars) but some of the rum used in the blend was aged in madeira wine casks. I'm not always that big on wine finishes for whiskey, but this product is really well done.