What Rum/Rhum did you buy today?

BFerguson

11 minutes ago, sailor22 said:

The Bielle is a one time bottling for La Mason Du Whiskey's anniversary, no idea about the age of the spirit but LMdW hasn't let me down yet. Labeled extra old and 56%, sounds good to me.

Kintra is a euro only Indy bottler, and I think your right about Dutch.

JM 1999 is the only one I have gotten into so far, no notes yet but it's a pricy bottle and no regrets. :-)

Hmm, might find myself in Paris at a La Mason Du Whiskey in a few weeks and plan to stop by their (newish) rum/rhum "boutique" store called Inventorum so I will have to be on the lookout for it.

Picked this up out of the clearance bin for $15 did some quick research to find it is apparently an Agricole made in Austrailia and aged over two years in a mix of New and used American Oak, it is different from anything I have had and for the money I certainly don't regret it.

WP_20170528_22_20_29_Pro.jpg

Looks interesting. How does it compare to Richland Rum, as it's also a young agricole?

1 hour ago, sailor22 said:

Looks interesting. How does it compare to Richland Rum, as it's also a young agricole?

Have not had Richland Rum, in truth this is my first agricole in recent history, in my early 20's I had a period where I drank mostly rum but the only agricole (and I didn't know the difference then) I had was Rhum Negrita and to claim I remember it well enough to compare would be a lie especially since it mostly ended up in Mai Tais.

On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:07 AM, sailor22 said:

Do you define agricole as including cane syrup as the base ingredient? Richland is certainly an interesting and unique tasting rum but since it is made from a cane syrup rather than fresh cane juice I have not considered it to be a typical agricole.

Although I believe they have recently been making a limited amount at the start of the cane harvest for the last couple of years made from cane juice rather than syrup.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:26 PM, kevinbrink said:

Picked this up out of the clearance bin for $15 did some quick research to find it is apparently an Agricole made in Austrailia and aged over two years in a mix of New and used American Oak, it is different from anything I have had and for the money I certainly don't regret it.

Apparently has been around for a while based on this review from 2012 , for whatever that is worth. Never seen it, much less tried it.

2 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Apparently has been around for a while based on this review from 2012 , for whatever that is worth. Never seen it, much less tried it.

Based on the fact that it was in the clearance bin who knows if it is still around even. This was the only time I ever have seen it and and the bottle is pretty flashy so I think I would have noticed it but you never know. Looking on Winesearcher only two results pop up and one is the store I bought it from for slightly more than I paid.

5 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Do you define agricole as including cane syrup as the base ingredient? Richland is certainly an interesting and unique tasting rum but since it is made from a cane syrup rather than fresh cane juice I have not considered it to be a typical agricole.

Although I believe they have recently been making a limited amount at the start of the cane harvest for the last couple of years made from cane juice rather than syrup.

Yeah, I'm lumping the cane juice users in with the fresh juice users. Probably not technically correct but to my palate very similar tasting end result. Richland uses a modified pot still while to my knowledge all the Martinique agricole producers use a column still - so that's another difference.

Found these two guys hiding at my favorite local Euro-Disco Liquor store.  Gonna be keeping these away from fire and flame all weekend....

IMG_3382.JPG

I found a 1997 Rhum Jm Vieux unexpectedly in a small local shop. They had the whole selection of El Dorado 15 wine Cask finishes as well, does anyone know anything about those?

On 6/3/2017 at 2:03 PM, DROB said:

I found a 1997 Rhum Jm Vieux unexpectedly in a small local shop. They had the whole selection of El Dorado 15 wine Cask finishes as well, does anyone know anything about those?

Haven't tasted them all but the three I did taste were IMHO over finished - the finishing wine overpowered the typical ElDo rum cocktail in the bottle. So in a nutshell I found the three I tasted unbalanced and less desirable than the original rum.

On 5/26/2017 at 1:35 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Hmm, might find myself in Paris at a La Mason Du Whiskey in a few weeks and plan to stop by their (newish) rum/rhum "boutique" store called Inventorum so I will have to be on the lookout for it.

I also recommend checking out A'Rhum in Paris if you have time to do so. Their selection was pretty astounding (though I haven't been to the LMDW's new rum shop so hard to know how it sizes up) and the folks working there seemed nice and helpful.

Haven't tasted them all but the three I did taste were IMHO over finished - the finishing wine overpowered the typical ElDo rum cocktail in the bottle. So in a nutshell I found the three I tasted unbalanced and less desirable than the original rum.

Thank you, that's exactly what I wanted to know before I paid the steep price to try them out. They are intriguing as I do normally like rums that have been finished like the 2004 Foursquare.

1 hour ago, Kpiz said:

I also recommend checking out A'Rhum in Paris if you have time to do so. Their selection was pretty astounding (though I haven't been to the LMDW's new rum shop so hard to know how it sizes up) and the folks working there seemed nice and helpful.

I will make sure that is on the list of Paris highlights!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been looking for Smooth Ambler Revelation in my area for a while and only found 1 bottle. And then a local store that I could have sworn i checked put it on sale so grabbed 2 bottles at $40 each and passed the info to a friend who got the third. Very happy!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Mount Gay Eclipse Black 100 Proof, don't recall ever seeing this, but it's the old bottle style. Figured it was worth a shot for $19.

Traveling in Atlanta and found two bottles of Foursquare Zinfandel finish. Can't wait to get home and try it!

• 2 weeks later...
Traveling in Atlanta and found two bottles of Foursquare Zinfandel finish. Can't wait to get home and try it!

Can't wait to hear what you think! Had some Foursquare Port finish last evening as a night cap. Been a few months since I touched that bottle and honestly don't know why. Great flavor with a nice sweet finish from the port, not sugar dumped in later.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:47 PM, NDN98 said:

After trying this at a bar last week, I bought my first bottle of rum in over 10 years.

IMG_6168.JPG

As good a rum as I have tasted, enjoy it!

I've only been sipping rum for 6 months or so and have enjoyed Appleton 12, Mt. Gay XO and Doorly's 12 thanks to the recommendations here. I've been searching for a Foursquare 2004 but can't find it in Maryland. I'm visiting my father in FL and found a port finished Foursquare 2004 for $40. While I generally don't like finished whiskeys (slight exception for 1792PF, which I find to only have mild flavors from the finish) I figured it was worth a taste and that I might like a finished rum more than a whiskey. I won't get a chance to taste until I get home next week, but am looking forward to it. 

8 hours ago, Charlutz said:

I've only been sipping rum for 6 months or so and have enjoyed Appleton 12, Mt. Gay XO and Doorly's 12 thanks to the recommendations here. I've been searching for a Foursquare 2004 but can't find it in Maryland. I'm visiting my father in FL and found a port finished Foursquare 2004 for $40. While I generally don't like finished whiskeys (slight exception for 1792PF, which I find to only have mild flavors from the finish) I figured it was worth a taste and that I might like a finished rum more than a whiskey. I won't get a chance to taste until I get home next week, but am looking forward to it. 

As with most of the Seale's/Foursquare stuff I have had, I love the port finish, I think you will enjoy sipping it alongside Doorly's 12. I found it to be worth the extra scratch.

So over the weekend I took a trip to a newish craft distillery less than a mile from my house (Silk City Distillery in Clifton, NJ). They were doing a release of Bourbon finished in barrels that previously aged IPA (after having aged bourbon), while it was interesting (particularly for craft whiskey) and I bought a bottle, I also picked up a bottle of there dark rum and quite enjoyed it.  After having a long conversation with the distiller about his sourcing of yeasts and bacteria's for the rum and the research put in I decided I would be leaving with a bottle and glad I did.  I was surprised how the small barrel aging didn't seem as obvious with Rum then it is with bourbon maybe because the fruity and funky esters drive the flavor more than the barrel. Regardless great experience and looking forward to see how they evolve over time, they have a couple of really cool experiments going on so looking forward to having them as neighbors!

1 hour ago, kevinbrink said:

So over the weekend I took a trip to a newish craft distillery less than a mile from my house (Silk City Distillery in Clifton, NJ). They were doing a release of Bourbon finished in barrels that previously aged IPA (after having aged bourbon), while it was interesting (particularly for craft whiskey) and I bought a bottle, I also picked up a bottle of there dark rum and quite enjoyed it.  After having a long conversation with the distiller about his sourcing of yeasts and bacteria's for the rum and the research put in I decided I would be leaving with a bottle and glad I did.  I was surprised how the small barrel aging didn't seem as obvious with Rum then it is with bourbon maybe because the fruity and funky esters drive the flavor more than the barrel. Regardless great experience and looking forward to see how they evolve over time, they have a couple of really cool experiments going on so looking forward to having them as neighbors!

I would guess that the bourbon is more effected in part because it must be done in new charred casks, small or otherwise. And I think the evidence is pretty clear (at least to me) of the benefit, or lack thereof, of small cask aging...

The rum was likely then aged in those used casks so you perhaps get less impact from the barrel plus the added benefit of a little bourbon influence!